Forums » The Lounge

DB's random tips for the new site

• 1467 posts
    September 2, 2016 9:39 PM EDT

So, you know ole DB just loves helping out, so I wanted to compile a list of useful/interesting new things we can do on the new site, so everyone can be aware of them. If you've got any suggestions feel free to leave them

1. We have a chat room (and no one wants to hang out with me) 

That's right folks, it might not be permanent, but we do in fact have a temporary chat room. It might be a good way for you to meet some new people, or if your looking for a quick response to a problem with the site your having, I suppose you could use it for the intended use as well and ask for advice there.

2. You can create your own Activity Feeds

Alright, so honestly this is hands down my favourite new feature. When your on the home page you can see a little bar with friends, photos, likes, posts, etc. between the activity feed and status bar, at the end of that you can see more with a little tab coming down. Now if you hit that more button, and hit "Create a List" you can create your own personal activity feed, that only includes the type of content you want when your scrolling down. Say for whatever reason, you aren't a fan of Stories, if you wanted to, you could create a list excluding blogs and Story Corner content but keeping the rest of it.

I dunno, to me it's a useful tool for fooling myself into thinkin we're an Elder Scrolls site (in other words, no FALLOUT), but you might find other uses.

3. You can share content

I know this is something that might not be new, but the way you can do it is. On Ning you could only share through things like Facebook and Twitter, but not on the site (as far as I know), now you can hit share, and the first button that pops up will be for sharing it on the Tamriel Vault (I mean, you can share it on Google + too, but who gives a single shit about Google +), this means when your mate posts something, you can go right ahead and share it a day or two later, I believe you can tag people as well, which I suppose sends them a notification about it.

4. We have a turtle emoji

Some people may say that this isn't a tip, but I say (tu) to you. With the new site we've got a range of emojis that are available through status posts (and I think the chat room), that can help...you know do whatever it is that emojis are used for. Personally I'm a huge fan of the turlte one (the shortcut is (tu) brackets and all), because really I think nothing describes me better. :P

5. There's an archive for the likes of CB Builds from Ning

I know this might be something that's been displayed multiple times, but I think it's important to menton as often as possible. This Link leads to an archive that displays how many likes a build had on Ning. To me it mght not be useful, I know which ranks my own builds were in, but if you were looking for a build while the rank archives are still being worked on, this might be useful for finding builds with a certain number of likes.

As an update to this, I've also created an Archive in Google Docs that's colour coded, meaning that all Legendary Builds are one colour, while all Bloodworks builds are another. It's a rather simple way to quickly scroll through and find a build within the rank that your looking for. 

6. We have a working Search Bar

For those that joined recently this isn't a big deal, but the Search Bar on the new site is incredibly useful and easy to use. If you know the name of a build or story, or forum post you want to read, just use that to search for it and it should (mostly) be the first entry. 

If you have any other tips you'd like to send in, leave a comment below and I'll add it in. I think we've got a pretty awesome new site here, but it's a bit confusing to get around and see everything, especially if your trying to update some of your content from Ning. 

7. You can see when someone joined the site

This is just an interesting little tiddbit, but if you go on a members profile page you can actually see when they joined. This isn't really that useful 99% of the time, but I think it's fun just to see exactly when I joined (November 14th, 2013)

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at September 13, 2016 9:40 PM EDT
    • 312 posts
    September 2, 2016 11:15 PM EDT

Hey, DB. You're apparently failling the second point since you liked my FALLOUT stuff. :D

• 1467 posts
    September 2, 2016 11:20 PM EDT

Hey, DB. You're apparently failling the second point since you liked my FALLOUT stuff. :D

Can't even joke about hating Fallout without somoeone trying to debunk that myth :P 

• 312 posts
    September 2, 2016 11:22 PM EDT

Ya tried. <3

• 295 posts
    September 3, 2016 6:24 AM EDT

How can you NOT want Stories? 

:P

• 1467 posts
    September 3, 2016 8:57 AM EDT

How can you NOT want Stories? 

:P

Don't ask me :P If I was going to block stories it'd be so I stop feeling guilty about not reading more of them, which reminds me, I need to read more Straag Rod XD

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at September 3, 2016 8:59 AM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    September 3, 2016 9:35 AM EDT

Added another tip, this one is a tad less useful but hey a tip is a tip I suppose

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at September 3, 2016 4:44 PM EDT
    • 743 posts
    September 9, 2016 3:21 PM EDT

Nice post, Dragonborn. Time to block some Fallout content :p

• 1467 posts
    September 12, 2016 1:15 AM EDT

I've updated this list just a little bit, including giving everonye the most important information ever. Naturally that we have a

• 179 posts
    September 12, 2016 1:25 AM EDT

Deeb the Mighty said: I'm actually trying something that might help people out even more with this. I'm currently working on an excel document with all this information, which would allow you to look up builds based on how many likes they have. I dunno if Albino did something similar, but hey if I get it done I'll share it.
    Nope, all I did was that list and nothing else. :P

• 1467 posts
    September 12, 2016 1:29 AM EDT

Nope, all I did was that list and nothing else.

I hope you don't mind if I continue then?

I'm about halfway through adding in the likes and I was debating whether I would also add the builder's names, but really that feels like way too much work. I didn't realise how many builds we did have until I looked at the excelt folder. But damn it makes me appreciate what you did about 100 times more 

• 367 posts
    September 12, 2016 1:31 AM EDT

Awwwwhat?

Say for whatever reason, you aren't a fan of Stories, if you wanted to, you could create a list excluding blogs and Story Corner content but keeping the rest of it.

DB... Why mention Stories? Everyone loves stories... I'm.... I'm wounded like there's a thorn in my paw...

• 179 posts
    September 12, 2016 1:32 AM EDT

Deeb the Mighty said: I hope you don't mind if I continue then?
    Not at all, go for it.

Deeb the Mighty said: I'm about halfway through adding in the likes and I was debating whether I would also add the builder's names, but really that feels like way too much work. I didn't realise how many builds we did have until I looked at the excelt folder. But damn it makes me appreciate what you did about 100 times more
    Thanks Deeb

• 694 posts
    September 12, 2016 9:37 AM EDT

You're right, we do have a chat! And don't feel bad, nobody ever wants to hang out with me either. :( I like the Mudcrab Chat myself. :D What I really want to add is a Fine Hat Chat. Love. Those. Fine. Hats. <3

• 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:01 PM EDT

Edana said:

You're right, we do have a chat! And don't feel bad, nobody ever wants to hang out with me either. :( I like the Mudcrab Chat myself. :D What I really want to add is a Fine Hat Chat. Love. Those. Fine. Hats. <3

I prefer curved swords. Curved. Swords.

• 557 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:09 PM EDT

Edana said:

Chat is actually going to be down for a while today - I'm trying to find a way to make it not be a POS :P

• 1467 posts
    September 13, 2016 12:37 AM EDT

Like Archive - Colour Coded

Alrighty, I finished writing up the likes for every build, which really just means taking Albino's work and copying some of it over. I got a bit lazy around half way through and instead of deleting the numbers next to the name I just left them...I'll fix that but for now you can hunt down builds based off of colour/rank, which might be useful for some of you

• 312 posts
    September 13, 2016 12:39 AM EDT

Dayum. ._. That's a lot of... work.

• 1467 posts
    September 13, 2016 12:47 AM EDT
    Albino is the one who did all the hard work, I just had to hit 1-3 numbers and then the down button :)
    • 312 posts
    September 13, 2016 12:48 AM EDT

Either way, thanks to both of you for making our lives easier. :D

• 179 posts
    September 13, 2016 1:31 AM EDT

Thanks DB, and you're welcome Wu. I'll add this as a link in the original discussion.

• 295 posts
    September 13, 2016 6:14 AM EDT

Not to be a sheeeet though, but Event Builds versus regular builds wasn't taken to account. 

That has different ranking. ;)

If you want, send me the file and I can back track. 

• 1467 posts
    September 13, 2016 7:54 AM EDT

Not to be a sheeeet though, but Event Builds versus regular builds wasn't taken to account. 

That has different ranking. ;)

If you want, send me the file and I can back track. 

Good point, I'll send over a link to a seperate Google Doc, and let you go wild :D