Forums » Elder Scrolls

Running to Stand Still

• 394 posts
    June 15, 2016 7:41 AM EDT

Sorry about the cute title - I just happen to like - no, love (and love performing) - that song, and it seemed appropriate!

I've written before about how I get annoyed at the common practice on Skyrim - and most games - of running everywhere. It 'breaks immersion', for me. No one is that fit, you don't do it irl, etc., etc.

However, I think I can now see why so many may do it. And I've even (gasp! shock horror!) started doing it myself!

While I wait for you to regain consciousness & pick yourselves up from the floor, let me explain.

I normally play on my Xbox 360, but I've recently started trying to play on my PC - mainly for modding, which isn't going well, as some of you may have noticed .  

Awake & upright yet? Good. Read back.

With the Xbox you can control the character's speed with subtle adjustments of the joystick button thumb thingy (technical term). It's stupidly easy to control your speed from a mere crawl to running full pelt. When out of combat I usually walk, but at quite a brisk pace.

I can't do that on my PC, not at least without a console-type controller, I suppose. There it's a toggle - run or walk. And the walking speed is so slow! It seems to me to be about the same pace as when you're carrying too much in my Xbox games - way too slow! If I can't bear to drop anything & I don't have a potion I'll 'Whirlwind Sprint' a lot. Yes, I know - hoarder! (I may have a problem).

I suppose I'll have to invest in a controller for PC. Or maybe there's a mod for that. (Mods?! Don't talk to me about mods!).

Just thought you'd like to know.

• 649 posts
    June 15, 2016 8:36 AM EDT

Haha. I always wondered how could anyone just "walk" in Skyrim. It´s so god damn slow. Now it all makes sense to me

• 133 posts
    June 15, 2016 8:52 AM EDT
    There's a mod called Realistic Humanoid Movement Speed or something like that (sorry can't link I'm on my phone) that both bumps up the vanilla walking and makes the jog slower too. Very helpful for travelling on an RP character.
    • 394 posts
    June 15, 2016 9:35 AM EDT

I knew it! Thanks 

• 393 posts
    June 15, 2016 9:39 AM EDT

I use the console. Though most of the time I don't mind the slow speed. I never run, it's a behavior not befitting a Thalmor Justiciar

• 59 posts
    June 15, 2016 10:05 AM EDT

i just play on pc and use an xbox controller for windows.

• 203 posts
    June 15, 2016 10:12 AM EDT

This was honestly the thing that most bothered me about switching to PC. Walking on PC is basically the same as carrying around two entire mammoths or something. So yeah I started running as well.

I saw Probs recommanded a mod for it just a bit earlier, and yeah that mod is great. Now I can walk at a normal human pace.Yeah!

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 15, 2016 11:02 AM EDT

I think the only role playing game walking at a normal pace mattered was World of Warcraft. In an MMO you have an audience and it certainly helps with immersion, but Skyrim is a singe player game. There's little point in walking at a snails pace unless I intentionally want to slow down in a smaller area. I won't stroll from Riverwood to Whiterun, it's boring as hell and takes for freaking ever. Maybe if I'm strolling through town or not otherwise in a hurry or traversing great distances I'll walk.

It's just me playing Skyrim. I can willingly suspend my disbelief that my character practically runs everywhere. So much of real life is boring as fuck because of all the walking. I don't want to bring all the boring bits of my real life into my fictional ones. S'why I don't RP using the toilet or bathing. I just use one hour rests to simulate my character doing his daily business every morning or whenever.

• 295 posts
    June 15, 2016 12:42 PM EDT

Brilliant! Will add this to me mods! 

• 1595 posts
    June 15, 2016 12:54 PM EDT

U2, eh? Here I was thinking Queen had that honour 

Normally my first investment is a horse. It helps with the running and immersion issue. Wish there was a first person view like in TES IV. 

• 367 posts
    June 15, 2016 1:45 PM EDT

1 Join the Companions

2 Stay away from Aela

3 Werewolf form.

Problem solved............

• 585 posts
    June 15, 2016 5:15 PM EDT

I think there was a guide in RP that recommended always being overencumbered to make yourself walk, but make it be one big item encumbering you, or stuff that stacks like Dragon Bones, so they could be dropped easily. I've tried it a few times, and it does work, but also makes you tear your hear out.

May I suggest RPing something similar to the 'Pumping Iron' mod? Ie jogging at the beginning of the game, and walking in heavy armour, but eventually being able to run all the time without armour on, and be able to jog with it on. Windwalker and Conditioning, or the Steed Stone, could trigger this change, or let it be overtime.

• 96 posts
    • 394 posts
    June 16, 2016 5:43 AM EDT

This mod looks great but it wouldn't download: there was no response at all when I clicked either of the download buttons, and there isn't a Files option 

• 295 posts
    June 16, 2016 5:48 AM EDT

Well, that sucks. Yeah, when I checked it out, I didn't like some of the comments on the Nexus so I backed away. 

• 394 posts
    June 16, 2016 5:50 AM EDT

Found this: dead easy to install, no scripts, makes a difference! 'Movement Speeds Fixed' http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/71491/?