Forums » General Gaming

What is your Gameplay/Roleplay Mentality? (Elder Scrolls Games /

• 96 posts
    May 31, 2016 4:09 PM EDT
    Wheter you're playing Thief-, Mage-, Warrior- or a something-in-between-build, isn't there always this mentality that forces you to run straight into that group of Hagraven / let's you check that bandit from a mile away to see if he brought friends?

What I'd like to know is how you are (really) playing builds/classes.
    1. Do you have that 'stereotype'-like attitude that is present in every playstyle?
    2. Do you (fully) adapt to the typical playstyle of a build or class?
    3. Do you (always have to) try to add to a build/class? 4. Do you have an addiction to a certain way of playing classes or builds?
    5. (If so,) Does it enhance, decrease or even help your gameplay/roleplay experience?

We're excluding troll-, but not 'advanced' builds/classes.

Me: I'm always trying to adapt to the current circumstances and to use every skill/spell or trick in my arsenal, often times completely throwing the build's standard role- and gameplay out of the window. But it makes me strong because I can rely on this playstyle - that it allows me to get out of situations that are too hard to deal with for the build or class by it's own.
    • 1483 posts
    May 31, 2016 4:20 PM EDT

1. Do you have that 'stereotype'-like attitude that is present in every playstyle?

No glitches is pretty much the only thing I keep in common for my characters.

I create my own playstyle. Isn't that what the building is about?

3. Do you (always have to) try to add to a build/class?

I try to create a unique playstyle I haven't tried. Given that I have tried a lot of playstyles, my tries usually end up either with nothing or a new build 

4. Do you have an addiction to a certain way of playing classes or builds?

I have to work hard not to include Alchemy in all the characters I play 

5. (If so,) Does it enhance, decrease or even help your gameplay/roleplay experience?

I work hard but manage to stay away from certain gameplay elements that always try to sneak their way into my builds 

• 122 posts
    May 31, 2016 8:33 PM EDT

Depends on the playthrough. My playstyle is affected by roleplay and build, and most of my build concepts are completely unable to play like the previous playthrough. My last playthrough was an Altmer Sneak/Alteration/Destruction/Illusion Nightblade sort who assassinated enemies in melee and would paralyze/electrocute enemies at range. My current playthrough is a Beton pure mage with no damage of his own, relying on his summons and clever spell/alchemy use to survive encounters. The Nightblade was sneaky and alert at all times. The Breton is so focused on picking flowers for potions that I have to keep a Storm Thrall summoned at all times to keep him alive before he notices a threat.

I prefer builds with versatility to keep gameplay interesting rather than builds with one single, overpoweringly strong trick.

3. Do you (always have to) try to add to a build/class?

When I began visiting this site? Yes. 

After a few weeks of making ridiculously complex nonsense? No. I've learned to appreciate simplicity and the research put into builds on this site by their creators.

4. Do you have an addiction to a certain way of playing classes or builds?

I tend to prefer pure casters or hybrid builds over straight Warrior or Thief classes. I also prefer that most builds I play be incapable of doing everything at one time. My Vampiric Spellserker can Summon minions and wreck faces with two-handed weapons and his heavy armor in his human form, but he has no ranged combat ability on his own unless he switches to the Vampire Lord, requiring careful thought on how he approaches situations.

When I find myself playing one build with the mindset of another, I find it upsets my roleplay/immersion.

• 288 posts
    June 1, 2016 5:06 AM EDT

I always use greatswords in medieval style RPG's. In modern styles I tend to use sniper rifles but they're not such a must as the greatsword.

I adapt the playstyle to what I feel the character should be in the particular game. I usually alternate between lawful good heroic characters, and characters that have a "nietzschean" (will to power, what doesn't kill me makes me stronger) mentality and tend to be towards the true neutral alignment.

• 45 posts
    June 1, 2016 9:20 AM EDT
    I try to be a nice guy if at all possible, but at the first sign of difficulty I tend to just take the easy way out and leave people for dead, or in sneak situations if one person sees me, then I kill everyone just to be safe XD. Also I tend to fall into the bad habit of using magic, where magic wouldn't necessarily be required, say if I'm running a pure thief, I'll want to add illusion magic, and then say well restoration would be useful too, and I can't forget the usefulness of alteration, and then it's all downhill from there XD