Forums » General Gaming

The Strategist's Table

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 25, 2016 5:04 PM EDT

You are amongst the greatest generals and leaders the ages and the universes have ever seen. It is time to...

I'm sorry, but I don't have anything cool to add as a intro. I'm just really psyched about what might be the greatest game I've purchased in the last few months (or year?), challenging even the mighty Witcher Trillogy.

That game is Total War: Warhammer, the first title in the series to have a fantasy setting, the first Total War game I got really hyped about since Shogun 2, the first Total War game to capture me like only RPGs were able to (All right, Shogun 2 did it too. A little. ) and finally one of the few games that have actually surpassed my expectations. And that's a big one.

So in the end all I really wanted was an excuse to share my adventures leading the mighty Dawi in the Vault when I feel like and perhaps find someone to play some co-op campaigns. But that would be extremely selfish, so I've made a thread where all the strategy game fans can gather around and talk about their conquests and their challenges, across the entire genre.

•  Do you enjoy/play strategy games? Which ones?
    •  Do you have a campaign, a story or a battle to share? Show us a picture if possible!
    •  Share your Steam username if your game supports multiplayer, or just leave the name of the game so people can contact you in private.
    •  Dwarfs, Empire, Vampire Counts, Greenskins or Chaos Warriors? There is only one answer:

Diggy, diggy hole...

• 1467 posts
    May 25, 2016 5:14 PM EDT

Sadly this doesn't have me quite as pumped, but we'll blame that on my lack of experience with both Total War and Warhammer which will hopefully be rectified next time Steam puts them on sale (I'm hoping for a 75% sale so I can nab that franchise pack for Warhammer). 

1: I'm a pretty big fan of all kinds of strategy games, from Age of Empires, Civilization and Fire Emblem (this is more recent) are probably the ones I've played most recently. I'd play a lot more often, but honestly I don't really have the time to get invested in a full blown game

2: Nope

3: Why not, I run by the ever original, Dragonborn1421 on Steam, and could dig setting up a time to smash at some Age of Empires 2, 3 or Age of Mythology (admittedly my favorite of the bunch)

• 641 posts
    May 25, 2016 5:15 PM EDT

I've been watching Strippin play a lot of Total Warhammer on twitch, wish I had something to play it on.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 25, 2016 5:42 PM EDT

Man, a game called Empire Earth and Age of Empires 2 were the first strategy games I've ever played, but it was AoE 3 that really got me hooked. And Age of Mythology is also my favorite, I remember countless nights spent playing some multiplayer games people would come up with: Tower defence, "Escape the Titan", not sure that was the name...

Escape the Titan wasn't only the Titan, but a lot of units. In fact I think the Titan only showed up later... Good times, people would spam chat asking everyone to close any pages they had open on the desktop so it didn't lag the game... (I didn't close them, though. Liked to hear some music while I was playing it. )

I don't have any of them on Steam, only the discs back from the time there was no Steam. I don't think there's a way of activating them there too?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 25, 2016 5:49 PM EDT

Tough. It was the Total War games and Skyrim mods that finally made me build a PC gamer. It took me a year, but it paid off greatly. Perhaps Warhammer can also be an incentive to you?

• 404 posts
    May 25, 2016 6:03 PM EDT

my first Strategy game was Majesty: Gold Edition. it is a Sim game that puts you in the shoes of the Majesty.

ShyGuyWolf is my Steam name as well

• 203 posts
    May 25, 2016 6:17 PM EDT

I personally enjoy playing strategy games a lot. In actual fact Age of Empires may very well be the first actual game (non educational) I played. I even learned English by playing the AoE series (Age of mythology in particular, still love that game; played it to bits for over 5 years, lost it after moving, and bought it on steam last summer I believe). I have always been horribly bad at them but I enjoy playing them nonetheless. Since then I've played games like Empire Earth, Rise of Nations, some of the settlers games and the stronghold series, Civilisation 5 and I've tried my hand in the total war games and the paradox games (not with much succes so far). I am getting better at Total war though, the adrenaline that pumps through you when you're winning a battle that the PC believed you could never win is fantastic.

The only story I have to tell really is one in AoE3. I played against the Chinese (I don't remember who I was, some european civ) and it was the only very hard (or whatever the hardest difficulty was, it's been a while since I played it) game I ever won. I normally either lack the skill or the computing power to play on those difficulty levels (I just can't do everything at once like the AI), but this time was different. I started out like I always do, build up some economic basis and expand on that. Sadly I noticed a Chinese scout had spotted my town. I didn't think much of it at the start but when five minutes later the largest army I had ever seen in the earlier stages of the game marched down my gates and set the city alight, I believed I had lost the game, and I nearly had. I managed to flee the city with two civilians and they rebuilt my society, but yet again a scout spotted my efforts. This time I took action, and when the chinese showed up to destroy the town they discovered an empty shell. No soldiers, no civilians, just buildings. By that time I had built five other settlements around the map. Every time a scout turned up at one of them, I reused the tactic and so after a few hours of gameplay I finally had enough power to march down the streets of the forbidden city. It was a great feeling.

I go by the very original name of Teineeva on steam (technically my username is Teineeva1 because some asshole took Teineeva apparently). So if you ever want to play a game of CIV V (only in weekends), AoM (a favourite), AoE 2 or 3, or one of the older Total war games I happen to own(I suck at them but whatever), don't hesitate to send me a message.

And well I'm undecided if I want to get Total War: Warhammer, I don't know shit about Warhammer and as mentioned previously I suck at Total War (I do enjoy it though). And I still have this whole heap of nearly unplayed Strategy games (mostly the paradox and some of the total war ones, I bought them in bundles) that are just dusting up my steam library. So investing full money into a new total war game right now seems like a bad decision, if the prices get cut, say this summer, I would love to buy a copy, but so far not really.

• 203 posts
    May 25, 2016 6:22 PM EDT

I'm not sure about Age of Mythology, but I know you'll need the AoE 2 HD edition to play on newer systems. The gameplay art shouldn't be a problem with an old disc but when I tried it myself the graphics went apeshit. Since AoM has a HD edition as well, I guess it might have similar symptoms. But you would have to check, I lost my cd copy a long time ago.

• 133 posts
    May 25, 2016 6:38 PM EDT
    •  Do you enjoy/play strategy games? Which ones?

Yes yes yes yes yes. I play Total War and Europa Universalis, though I do pop into a game of Civ 5 every once and awhile (not to say I ever make it far). I used to be mostly a Total War fan, but now all my strategy gaming is dedicated to EU4. That game is just too good, especially with friends. However, I'm always down to demolish some Gauls in Rome: Total War.

•  Do you have a campaign, a story or a battle to share? Show us a picture if possible!

Hmmmmmmm. I did once defeat an army of Armoured Greek Hoplites (around 1200 of them) and two Greek generals with only five early Roman general's units. This was in Rome: Total War. The greatest part of it was that I only lost like ten people. 

Another instance was also in R:TW, where I took Germania from its starting position to controlling all of Britain, West Europe, Spain, and Greece. The Romans declared war on me and I slowly smashed them until they only held Rome and southern Italy. Fought their SPQR army and won after taking heavy losses. Finally took Rome to win. 

•  Share your Steam username if your game supports multiplayer, or just leave the name of the game so people can contact you in private.

My Steam name is Amirite? just tell me who you are if you send a FR. 

•  Dwarfs, Empire, Vampire Counts, Greenskins or Chaos Warriors? There is only one answer:

I care about Warhammer less than Geometry. Sorry

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    May 25, 2016 8:54 PM EDT

I had heard of this game, but I didn't know it had already come out. I would get it eventually, but I dunno if my computer can handle it. I just recently got into these types of games (I didn't really realize that they existed before, lol) and I got Total War Rome II on sale, and I love it. I'm on my first playthrough right now, so I haven't played a ton of it.

• 1441 posts
    May 25, 2016 9:52 PM EDT

I am a Dwarf and I'm digging a hole, diggy diggy hole. Glad to see a YogsCast fan. Anyway, I wanna get it, but I'm a bit more experienced with 40K than Fantasy. Might get Vermintide to get me into it

• 773 posts
    May 26, 2016 5:46 AM EDT

Edd, could I ask you, if someone (me ) has zero knowledge or experience of the lore and background of the Warhammer universe, would this be a game worth getting?

Or to spin it round, if I was always interested in getting into Warhammer - but never had the time or the considerable money required - would this be a way to dip the toe into the waters?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 26, 2016 12:53 PM EDT

I found out about YogsCast through the Total War forums, with their awesome "Battle Commanders" videos: Dwarfs and Greenskins. Then I heard Diggy Diggy Hole, great stuff.

Vermintide seems to be a really good game, but I'm not really into horde shooter games. However, I don't think you need to "know" a lot about Warhammer before playing TW, it helps with the immersion (and hype!), but it's not essential.

• 641 posts
    May 26, 2016 1:25 PM EDT

I had a notion to try out Vermintide but it's not on the Playstation Store.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 26, 2016 1:25 PM EDT

You'll dive into the waters, Paul. CA is planning to release two more Total War: Warhammer games that will work as stand-alone, but once you own either two or three of the games, it will all be combined into a big campaign. A really big campaign, with most of the Warhammer World covered: Europe, North Africa, North America, Northern South America.

As for not knowing the lore and if the game would be worth getting, I'd say yes, it's worth it. I myself didn't know a thing about Warhammer, and only started delving into the setting a few weeks ago by searching information about the factions and big players in the game.

And while it may help you with the immersion, it is not necessary at all to know the lore. The game itself does a great job providing you information about each of the races and each of the Legendary Lords you can choose, so you will feel just as engaged as the next guy. It is an amazing game and setting, and if you want a taste of it, this page may be helpful.

Have you ever played Total War before?

• 1441 posts
    May 26, 2016 1:39 PM EDT

I might get it, or might get Dawn of War, a 40K strategy game, whichever is cheaper, I mean, I've played Crusader Kings 2, a complex stragety game, so Total War can;t be too hard

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 26, 2016 6:26 PM EDT

Might as well be the first to share some pictures. These are from my first campaign, Dwarfs on Hard. Click to enlarge.

In the North, things are dire. I've lost most of my settlements to the Undead and a Greenskin tribe. I can't say I'm not happy I've lost all that territory, now that things further North are getting worse... (won't spoil anything). However, Zhufbar, who ironically sits on the bottom of the western mountains (meaning its close to Sylvania), remains strong and has resisted many Undead hordes. Here are a few pics of the last battle, which I've managed to win and get a peace treaty with the VC.

The next battle was fought on the Southern borders of my territory, on the frontier settlement of Barag Dawazbag, where my main army under High King Thorgrim was stationed. The attackers were the Greenskins, under Azhag the Slaughterer, who's in the first picture.

After that battle, a second Greenskin army attacked me, and while I managed to get a Pyrrhic Victory, I had to retreat from Barag Dawazbag, I couldn't risk my main army and the Greenskins still had scum to throw at me.

I think Zhufbar won't last long, and if it falls, I'll leave the North completely and try to take the South first from those damn Greenskins... They are endless!

• 641 posts
    May 26, 2016 7:09 PM EDT

You can do it, Dwarves are made from hardy stock!