Forums » The Lounge

Getting To Know You - Vol. 1 - The Basics

• 557 posts
    May 7, 2016 7:21 AM EDT

Hello hello everyone, Emer Dareloth here with a fun little discussion to kick off our weekend! One of the most important aspects of our little site here is our community. A lot of people come here because of our builds, stories, and other wonderful content, but it's always our community that keep them coming back for more. In an attempt to further bring together the wonderful community we've got here, I put together a list of "get to know you" questions! Let's jump right into them and start getting to know each other a bit better (remember, you don't need to answer any of these questions if you don't want to, feel free to leave some blank!) :

About You Off-Site:

1. What's your name?
    2. Where are you from?
    3. Where do you currently live?
    4. Do you work? If so, where?
    5. How old are you?
    6. What do you look like? (bonus points for uploading a picture)
    7. How tall are you?
    8. What five words would you use to describe yourself?
    9. Aside from gaming, what are your hobbies?
    10. Do you have any pets? If so, how many and what are they? 

About You On-Site:

1. What significance does your username have? 
    2. What brought you here?
    3. How long have you been a member?
    4. How long did you "lurk" before you joined, and what eventually made you join?
    5. Why do you keep coming back? (Seriously, we've been trying to keep you away but you just. keep. coming. back.) 
    6. What's your favorite thing about the Vault? 
    7. Least favorite?
    8. Do you prefer to hang around in only one group, or do you branch out to multiple?
    9. Have you ever posted original content?
    10. Have you made any friends on the Vault? 

These are just a few basic "get to know you" questions, but expect to see more discussions like this in the future! 

• 133 posts
    May 7, 2016 7:54 AM EDT
    Ooooh! Gonna pop in here later when I can get on my computer so I can get the full variet of emotes necessary in :P
    • 72 posts
    May 7, 2016 8:16 AM EDT

no

This post was edited by Fights at August 12, 2017 12:43 PM EDT
    • 140 posts
    May 7, 2016 8:19 AM EDT

Off-Site

I'm one of those people who've never really moved. I was born in East London, and currently live in the Cove Rock country estate just outside the city. Aside from video games, my hobbies include reading, board games, television, calligraphy (Something I haven't done in quite some time), and recently I've been playing around with Morrowind's Construction Set. We currently have 8 pets; A Basset Hound (Bella), a Yorkshire Terrier (Tulip), a Great Dane (Caesar), a Rabbit, 3 Tortoises, and then my Snake, Savirien.

On-Site

I first joined The Skyrim Blog back in April, 2014, but I "lurked" for quite a while before that, since I first came across the Site sometime in mid-late 2013 while looking for Character ideas. I'm actually not sure what made me join, but I'm glad I did. currently, I spend a fair bit of time around the Classics group and the now off-site Live Roleplaying: Skyrim, and I've recently been browsing the Character Building group for ideas on my next Skyrim playthough.

• 627 posts
    May 7, 2016 8:34 AM EDT

Just thought I'd point out that people may be more comfortable to do this if you do so yourself 

Well anyways onto the questions...

Off-Site

1. Andrew
    2. Australia, the land of the Dropbear 
    3. Victoria, about an hours drive from Melbourne
    4. Nope
    5. 20ish well it's close enough now.

6. Where's my bonus points?
    7. 178ish cm, I don't know feets
    8. Uh... I have no idea 
    9. Reading, drawing, baking and then eating.
    10. I have two dogs, Merri a massive suck up and JayJay possibly the biggest wuss I've ever seen.

On-Site

1. First off it's the title of one of the many books I've read, secondly it just suits me too well.
    2. I can't even remember, it was probably character building like most people but don't quote me on that.
    3. Who knows? maybe I've always been here.. well it hasn't been that long.
    4. At least a year I think, it's been awhile.
    5. Spite, to put it simple it's to spite your attempts to get me to stop 
    6. For the most part the people.
    7. Hard to say...
    8. I'd say multiple, but really it's just what I'm currently interested in.
    9. Uh yeah...
    10. Yeah a bunch, I wont list them because I'll probably forget someone and then feel like an ass.
    • 557 posts
    May 7, 2016 9:01 AM EDT

I meant to reply here, but Ning was acting up a bit when I posted it  That being said, let me paste my answers now!

Off-Site:

1. Todd Kern
    2. Berwick Pennsylvania, USA
    3. I've never moved, so I'm still living in Berwick.
    4. I actually work two full-time jobs (and am in the process of starting a business myself). I'm in charge of managing my families finances (sounds riveting, right?) and I also have a "day job" as a sales representative for Verizon. In addition to that, I'm in the process of starting a pet store with my father. 
    5. I'm 22 years old! 
    6. Here's a picture of good ol' Emer 
    7. I'm 6' 3" (about 190cm, I believe?)
    8. I'm terrible at describing myself, so I'll leave this one blank...
    9. Aside from gaming I have a lot of hobbies. I build computers, I love to read and write, I keep vivariums and breed reptiles, I'm a collector of a lot of random things, I sing, dance, and play the piano, and I love to run. 
    10. I have a lot of pets. A yellow labrador retriever (Bella), a black miniature dachshund (Lucy), a Woma python named Vis, an Abronia Graminea named Rhae, thirty-five crested geckos (one of my many breeding projects), three reticulated pythons (yet another breeding project), and about six or seven ball pythons (an old project that I'm actually getting rid of soon). 

On-Site:

1. Emer Dareloth is the first username I had when I first registered here back in October of 2011. At the time it didn't hold much significance to me (just another name of an Oblivion character), but eventually it became like a second name for me. Every now and again I switch it up, but Emer always winds up coming back! 
    2. I joined the site back when it was still a Wordpress Blog, and I joined for the Skyrim news that was being released. 
    3. I've been a member since October 2011.
    4. I was never a lurker, I joined as soon as I possibly could.
    5. Like so many others, I stayed because of the community (that's right, all of you bastards )
    6. I love the community aspect of the site, it's my favorite of all social networks! 
    7. Paul. Definitely. (I'm joking Paul please don't kill me )
    8. I hand around the site as a whole, but I most often find myself checking the elder Council and Consulate (I am one of the site owners, after all!)
    9. I have! I've posted stories, builds, pictures, discussions, and all sorts of other forms of content! 
    10. Of course I have!
    • 1467 posts
    May 7, 2016 9:17 AM EDT

Off-Site:

1:  Jack (A nice common name, track me down now :P)

2: Australia 

3: Canberra, ACT, that's in Australia

4: Kind of...I work at a McDonalds but I haven't had a shift in a while.

5: 18 in... 2 weeks exactly

6: Skip

7: 6 foot 2 or something...Dunno exactly but that was how tall I was last time I checked

8: I...I have no answer

9: Reading, I play Basketball (I just started coaching a Team as well, fun times so far), Writing here and there, watching the NRL (when I can), I suppose that's it...Oh and I watch TV and Comic Book Movies (Mostly...I do watch some other stuff too)

10: Nope

On-Site:

1:  Well, Dragonborn1421 (My original username) held significance in only a small amount...Dragonborn obviously comes from my interest in Skyrim (though it was something I was using before I joined the site, for a couple months at least), but the numbers originally were because I'd come up with it when I was 14... (Yeah, I was original) and my birthday is on the 21st. Now I've updated it to fit my new age...Though I was thinking of changing it soon.

2: Fallout 4...I mean, Skyrim. To be more specific I was originally brought to the site by Character Building, and the build that I first read was, uh I think it was the Orc Shaman King...I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure it was that, then Henson's builds brought me further in, then Mason's and so on. Funnily enough, I didn't even go on the main page for awhile, honestly the only group I'd been in was the Skyrim CB, and I only went directly to builds

3: Oh...Well, let me think. I'm pretty sure that it was October 2013, yeah that feels right, this would be my third year now (which really makes me kind of realize I've been here longer than a lot of active members now... Wow)

4: I lurked for about 4-5 months I think, and really it was just wanting to post my own build somewhere. 

5: Oh you guys just keep making new groups for me to meddle with.  The real reason I suppose that I keep coming back is, well I keep trying new thing on the site. At first I was just a CB guy, I spent a lot of time writing, reading, commenting on builds, involving myself in the CB group, etc. But really I kind of dropped out of that group for a bit, but then I've tried out new groups with new content.

6: Yeah, I really can't narrow it down, but I'd say that the site itself is my favorite part (ya know, just to narrow it down)

7: Hmm, I'd honestly have to say the Fallout content, and even then that's just not really even something major. I'm just not a fan of the game, and it's place on the site but I understand the reason it's where it is so...whatever.

8: Well, I suppose I've answered this...Yes, I've participated in just about everything except Fallout CB, ESO, RP and The Citadel. 

9: Yes I most definitely have, plenty of it too.

10: Ah, I feel like I've made tonnes of friends while I've been here, as with Golden I can't really name them all because there's been so many (and my memory is a little off so I couldn't name them.)

• 133 posts
    May 7, 2016 2:06 PM EDT

Finally got a chance to hop on my computer. Let's get this done. 

Off-Site

1. Bryson
    2. Virginia, US
    3. Still in Virginia, not going anywhere anytime soon
    4. If being a student counts as work, then yeah, I guess.
    5. turned 15 in January
    6. Uglypic below
    7. 6'1" or around 1.8 meters
    8. hmmmmm...I guess something like funny, athletic, eclectic, weird, average? Idk
    9. I play lacrosse and run cross country. I also am a novice computer hardware guy and will be getting into coding next year. I also watch too much Bob's Burgers/Parks and Rec
    10. No pets though I've been begging my mom for a Shiba Inu for months now. Hopefully she cracks soon

On-site

1. It's the truth
    2. I believe it was actually roleplaying, not CB like most people. This is back when there were only a couple of discussions in it and they were all "roleplay a citizen by chopping wood". Nevertheless, they helped me get past the min/max stage of the game.
    3. Not sure exactly. I think I joined in 2012 or 2013. Probably 2013.
    4. I lurked for maybe half a year, just reading RP articles and character builds. 
    5. I think I come back because I know that what I put up here will be accepted. Somebody will read an article of mine, someone will comment on one of my poems. There's always someone who can offer encouragement and advice. 
    6. Fav thing is probably the community like everyone else
    7. the periodical infighting. Not been any huge stuff lately though, so all good.
    8. I obviously check the Hub more than anything else now, but I also like to browse in all the groups occasionally. I've been trying to branch out lately too. I added a TES RP discussion recently and I'm working on a character build with Lyall for the event. 
    9.  "a little"
    10. Not made too many real friends on the Vault. ShyGuy and I chat every once in awhile, but mostly just friendly to people, as opposed to having actual friends. 
    • 248 posts
    May 7, 2016 2:25 PM EDT

Berwick! I actually did my Master's degree at Bloomsburg...not too far away!

• May 7, 2016 2:27 PM EDT

About You Off-Site:

1. Kayla Schmid
    2. Winnipeg, MB
    3. I've never moved from the house I'm currently sitting in.
    4. No, I used to have part time jobs as a cashier and Starbucks barista, but I quit when I started culinary college. I hope to get a job out my upcoming practicum or apprenticeship, tho.
    5. 19. 20 on June 24.
    6. HERE. Where's my prize?
    7. 5'10
    8. ...who knows...
    9. Cooking, baking, yelling, giving the sideye, and writing.
    10. A black cat called Cat and a gentle giant of an Irish Setter called Reuben. Needless to say, I didn't name the dog.

About You On-Site:

1. I've always been Elysium, probably since I was about 11 or 12. It was the first name I chose, after the Isle of the Blessed heroes in Greek mythology, because I wanted to find friends who could be heroes on the internet.
    2. I finally bought Skyrim and wanted to share in that with the community.
    3. Two years exactly. I joined May 7, 2014, the day I posted my first build.
    4. Probably two years or so. I remember having a ton of builds and guides bookmarked. I followed Skyrim's communities and development for ages but was still bitter the next TES game had to feature the fucking Nords (I hate the Nords), so I didn't get it until 2014 out of spite.
    5. This site has meant a lot to me over the years and I don't think I could ever leave.
    6. The people who deserve my baking and cooking.
    7. The people who deserve my sideeye and yelling.
    8. I don't check any group daily right now (between figuring out my practicum, my apprenticeship, and final exams right now, I have very little free time), but I check Modder's Conclave and CB fairly regularly. 
    9. Not at all.
    10. No.
    • 557 posts
    May 7, 2016 2:30 PM EDT

Really? When did you go there? 

• 248 posts
    May 7, 2016 2:32 PM EDT

let's see 2001-2003.  :) I'm a couple years older haha

• 585 posts
    May 7, 2016 2:39 PM EDT

That RT reference...

• 557 posts
    May 7, 2016 2:55 PM EDT

Ah, so I was only seven when you were there 

• 177 posts
    May 7, 2016 3:19 PM EDT

Off Site

1. Joyce

2. I am from the United States, Iowa

3. In a shitty apartment complex in Iowa!

4. I am not working at the moment, though I am looking!

5. In my 20's (I'd rather not say exact numbers here!)

6. I have very dark brown hair, which just kinda hangs on my face, I'm rather pale caucasian and have blueish-green eyes! 

7. 5'10

8. Crazy, Fun, Irresponsible, Hyper and  Forgiving

9. I play tabletop roleplaying games sometimes, I like to write and draw and I looove baking!

10. Not right now!

On Site

1. It's Pinkie Pie! The pony that I relate to the most! 

2. Looking for a fallout community

3. No idea! I'm terrible at counting! 

4. I joined immediately! 

5. When I do come back these days, I usually just read, but I love the content I see, so fun and original!

6. The community, and the wonderful people that make it up!

7. Some of the arguing and how people refuse to see others views sometimes!

8. I like having multiple groups of people, I love variety! 

9. Some, but no that much!

10. Everyone I meet I consider my friend, thats just how I am! 

• 96 posts
    May 7, 2016 3:22 PM EDT
    . Off-Site .

1. Aaron
    2. Germany
    3. Here... (probably not on the map)
    4. skip
    5. 19
    6. Attachment
    7. 1.78cm
    8. patient, impatient, serious, sometimes-not-so-serious, honest
    9. Reading, swimming, TV, drawing
    10. Got a dog.

. Off-Site .

1. That's always been me on the internet / in games.
    2. The community, I guess... No, wait.. Skyrim :P.
    3. joined october 2015.
    4. Not a second. I joined first, then thought "Why?"
    5. Uhm... Skyrim.. No wait.. The community :P
    6. The Tamriel part
    7. The Vault part / you know
    8. multiple, but depends. Mostly workshop/CB and lately Tipps&Tricks (all Skyrim)
    9. A build / some collabs / crap in the Tipps&Tricks group that wont ever come to use :P
    10. Define "Friends". Probably yes.
    • 77 posts
    May 7, 2016 3:51 PM EDT

Off-Site:

1. Pass
    2. South East England
    3. Same as above, more specifically same county, just the southern half
    4. Over 10 years in the finance department of one of the oldest insurance organisations in the world
    5. I'm currently a few years off 40
    6. Pass
    7. 5ft 4"
    8. Pass, I'd end up contradicting myself
    9. Other hobbies are drawing, painting, writing, various crafts, music & sailing
    10. No pets, I have enough trouble looking after me

On-Site

1. It's the shortened version of my first Skyrim character, Melindora which was taken from the Last Rune series by Mark Anthony
    2. Paul England's Arrowsworn build, I was looking for a different way to play an archer as I'm hopeless with swords
    3. I've been here about a year now
    4. Possibly a month, while I planned what my page would look like and create my profile picture, but I really wanted to give feedback on Paul's build
    5. Hmm, the Story Corner is a big draw, somewhere to talk about Elderscrolls without people thinking I'm crazy, and the people, yes you lovely people, all of you
    6. The people and the sense of community (is that the right answer?)
    7. Umm
    8. I'm mostly lurking around the Story Corner and Art group/Photos, though I do enjoy popping into the Lore and CB groups
    9. I've err, posted a few drawings (I believe I'm noted for my rocks ) and I have one story I'm working on
    10. Yes, my first add was Sotek
    • 367 posts
    May 7, 2016 4:00 PM EDT

AWWWOOOO  

• 1217 posts
    May 7, 2016 7:16 PM EDT

Off-Site:

1. What's your name? Travis
    2. Where are you from? Texas
    3. Where do you currently live? Utah
    4. Do you work? If so, where? University library
    5. How old are you? 27 last month
    6. What do you look like? 
    7. How tall are you? 5'11"
    8. What five words would you use to describe yourself? Lazy, Writerly, Quiet, Calm, Paitent
    9. Aside from gaming, what are your hobbies? As of now, only LED lightsabers
    10. Do you have any pets? If so, how many and what are they? I used to have a dog, but not since leaving home.

On-Site:

1. What significance does your username have? It was a sly sort of subversive code name in a novel, but I took it because of the supposed meaning, translated from Thai: "In the urn, awaiting cremation." I try to treat it as a reminder to be humble.
    2. What brought you here? Discovering Skyrim character building
    3. How long have you been a member? Since at least March 2014
    4. How long did you "lurk" before you joined, and what eventually made you join? Not long, maybe a week. No idea what prompted me to actually join, though.
    5. Why do you keep coming back? I like it. The talk, the resources, the folks, the environment. It's a nice community. 
    6. What's your favorite thing about the Vault? The depth of the discussions, builds and articles
    7. Least favorite? Ning
    8. Do you prefer to hang around in only one group, or do you branch out to multiple? I go pretty much wherever there's a topic that interests me.
    9. Have you ever posted original content? A few times
    10. Have you made any friends on the Vault? Yup :)
    • 457 posts
    May 7, 2016 11:19 PM EDT
    DUUUDE! Do you attend the 'Y'? I'm an alumni as of 1997 :D
    • 1441 posts
    May 7, 2016 11:54 PM EDT

I went to the YMCA for preschool, back in 2003

• 1217 posts
    May 8, 2016 1:24 AM EDT
    I do! About a year left to get my bachelors. Wow, how cool!
    • 490 posts
    May 8, 2016 1:39 AM EDT

About You Off-Site:

1. What's your name? Henson
    2. Where are you from? New York
    3. Where do you currently live? East Coast, US
    4. Do you work? If so, where? Teach in a school.
    5. How old are you? 27
    6. What do you look like? (bonus points for uploading a picture): Blonde hair, small nose, big head.
    7. How tall are you? 6'1"
    8. What five words would you use to describe yourself? I like to eat food.
    9. Aside from gaming, what are your hobbies? Music, cooking, and movies.
    10. Do you have any pets? If so, how many and what are they? Not currently. Want dog.

About You On-Site:

1. What significance does your username have? It is my "name"
    2. What brought you here? Character builds.
    3. How long have you been a member? Since early 2012.
    4. How long did you "lurk" before you joined, and what eventually made you join? Probably lurked for a month or two in 2012.
    5. Why do you keep coming back? The people, the posts, and characters mostly.
    6. What's your favorite thing about the Vault? The creativity.
    7. Least favorite? People who take things too seriously.
    8. Do you prefer to hang around in only one group, or do you branch out to multiple? I have tried multiple.
    9. Have you ever posted original content? Some.
    10. Have you made any friends on the Vault? s0 m4nY 1nt3rw3bz FWENDz
  • Jen
    • 88 posts
    May 8, 2016 2:11 AM EDT
    1. What's your name? Jennifer
    2. Where are you from? Atlanta, Georgia
    3. Where do you currently live? Pennsylvania....moved here when I married my husband.
    4. Do you work? If so, where? Not at the moment, no.
    5. How old are you? 37
    6. What do you look like? 
    7. How tall are you? 6'1"
    8. What five words would you use to describe yourself?  Shy, Compassionate, Nervous, Clumsy, Smart
    9. Aside from gaming, what are your hobbies? Reading, writing, watching movies. And I'm a horror geek.
    10. Do you have any pets? If so, how many and what are they? Oh tons...haha....3 rabbits (a Holland Lop, a Lionhead, and a Netherland Dwarf) and 3 dogs (a Jack Russell, a Terrier mix and a Sheltie/Corgi mix).

About You On-Site:

1. What significance does your username have? It's my name...
    2. What brought you here? The character building group, I was looking for interesting builds for Skyrim.
    3. How long have you been a member? Since 2013
    4. How long did you "lurk" before you joined, and what eventually made you join? Joined pretty quickly after I found the site, I joined for builds and role-playing tips.
    5. Why do you keep coming back? (Seriously, we've been trying to keep you away but you just. keep. coming. back.)    The builds, the blogs, the discussions......this place is full of good stuff....
    6. What's your favorite thing about the Vault? The character builds and profiles, love people's creativity.
    7. Least favorite? Really enjoy it all to be honest.
    8. Do you prefer to hang around in only one group, or do you branch out to multiple? I read as much of everything that I can, though I rarely post. 
    9. Have you ever posted original content? A few pictures when I was playing on PC and one profile....keep meaning to post more, but I am usually on my Kindle when I visit.
    10. Have you made any friends on the Vault? A couple 
    • 773 posts
    May 8, 2016 8:34 AM EDT

I just featured this thread so I probably ought to do it myself

About You Off-Site:

1. What's your name? Paul
    2. Where are you from? Bradford UK
    3. Where do you currently live? Bradford UK
    4. Do you work? That's one thing I don't discuss here, and you wouldn't believe me anyway...
    5. How old are you? 56
    6. What do you look like? See profile pic
    7. How tall are you? 6'4"
    8. What five words would you use to describe yourself? Creative, energetic, passionate, helpful, gentle
    9. Aside from gaming, what are your hobbies? Music, movies, rugby league (watching)
    10. Do you have any pets? none

About You On-Site:

1. What significance does your username have? It is my name
    2. What brought you here? I created the site.
    3. How long have you been a member? Since before it ever started!
    4. How long did you "lurk" before you joined, and what eventually made you join? I was planning for about four months - between the announcement of Skyrim in December 2010 to the launch in April 2011
    5. Why do you keep coming back? I couldn't let go even if I wanted to
    6. What's your favorite thing about the Vault? The creativity on view here
    7. Least favorite? The drama that occasionally happens
    8. Do you prefer to hang around in only one group, or do you branch out to multiple? All
    9. Have you ever posted original content? Ummm... yes
    10. Have you made any friends on the Vault? I don't believe that you can truly be 'friends' with people you've never met in real life, so in the strict parameters of the question, 'no'