Forums » Elder Scrolls

Will My Laptop Run Morrowind?

• 71 posts
    May 2, 2016 3:18 PM EDT

Hi all. I'm pretty sure I'm posting this in the right place, if not, let me know. Anyways, having almost reached my 1000th hour on Skyrim, and having grown somewhat tired of Fallout 4, I'm considering picking up Morrowind for the summer. That being said, I'm a console gamer through and through. I think the only games I've played on PC have been Sims and the Tycoon games. So I really have no idea if my current laptop will run Morrowind (preferably with the 3.0 overhaul) sufficiently. I have an ASUS X52F-XR6, and I'll list what I can only assume are relevant specs below. If any are missing, just let me know in the comments.

- Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5)

- Intel core i5-480M, 2.66GHz

- 4GB RAM

As I said, I'm not really a PC guy, so I'm not really savvy as to what's relevant or not; I can only guess. Anyways, hopefully some of you know your stuff and can help me out. Thanks!

• 140 posts
    May 2, 2016 4:19 PM EDT

I'm not too good with computer's either, but you might want to give This Article on UESP a read.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    May 2, 2016 6:47 PM EDT

I have a laptop with Intel stuff on it that was maybe $300 (I dunno much about specs either, so I'll go with cost) but I'm not sure what yours cost. Mine had an integrated graphics card (which I believe is the worst kind) and I think the same amount of RAM. 

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri - This is a pretty good website that you can use, although it isn't perfect. It said that my laptop couldn't run Morrowind, but it ran it fine for me, without any overhauls. I think a graphics overhaul would have been way too much for it.

• 71 posts
    May 2, 2016 10:01 PM EDT

Thanks, both of you. The only thing I'm really worried about is my graphics card. I get the feeling that my processor/RAM is fine, I just don't know how to gauge what makes a good graphics card at all.

• 52 posts
    May 3, 2016 3:47 AM EDT

These answers will come in handy as I will one day try out Morrowind. You all have my thanks for your advice!

• 773 posts
    May 3, 2016 5:22 AM EDT

The main point here is that Morrowind came out in 2002. I'm certain that any recent laptop or will run it.

Mods are a different matter. Some of the heavy-end Morrowind overhauls reduce even powerful graphic cards to tears. But your laptop will certainly run it in vanilla.

• 71 posts
    May 3, 2016 7:29 PM EDT

I decided to take the plunge and download Morrowind off of Steam today. I'll be getting the overhaul 3.0 mod later tonight. I'm pretty confident I can enjoy the game vanilla anyhow, but I'll report back later to let all interested parties know how the mod runs. I gotta say, I'm pretty excited to finally try out this game after all the good things I've heard. Thanks again for everyone's help!

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    May 3, 2016 8:53 PM EDT

Good luck! As Paul said, your laptop should definitely be able to run vanilla Morrowind, so you don't have to worry about that. Hopefully the overhaul will work too. I've heard of 3.0, but never looked at it much.

• 71 posts
    May 5, 2016 2:02 PM EDT

So I figured I'd just post a quick update, for anyone who maybe has a PC with similar specs to mine. I haven't downloaded the overhaul mod yet; I've actually just been so immersed in the vanilla game that whenever I think about downloading the mod I just opt to play the game instead. Vanilla runs better than I could have expected; the resolution is great, the world renders fantastically, and the load times between areas are almost non-existent. I have to say, I'm really enjoying the game so far. The combat and interface took a bit to get used to, but I feel I have a pretty good handle on everything. I've barely scratched the surface yet, but when I do I'll make sure to head over to the Classics Group. Thanks again for everyone's help!  

• 52 posts
    May 6, 2016 11:10 PM EDT

Congratulations! you have liftoff. It was six months solid before my mother and friends persuaded me onto downloading my first mod for Skyrim. Best of luck to you.