Forums » Elder Scrolls

Delphine The Greatest Grandmaster

• 393 posts
    March 14, 2016 5:04 AM EDT

There's no need for an army of Forsworn. A little squad of 10 men would be enough. They just should set a camp near the Temple's gates and send a guard of 2-4 men to patrol around it. When Delphine wants to eat, she needs to go out. No need for them to even go inside.

• 295 posts
    March 14, 2016 5:12 AM EDT

Yes, I can imagine Delphine's expression when an Altmer asks for the room in the attic. Something akin to how the Greybeards would act when a good ol' Old Mary walks into High Hrothgar. 

• 393 posts
    March 14, 2016 5:30 AM EDT

Lol)) I imagine Delphine's reaction a tiny bit more... emotional) Not to say more violent) Poor Altmers))

• 321 posts
    March 14, 2016 5:32 AM EDT

I think deep inside, she just wants to stab him but can't since he's the DB.

• 393 posts
    March 14, 2016 5:39 AM EDT

I think so too. Maybe she'd grow to like him if he's someone like Aelberon, but if it's my Nalfien... she'd need to remind herself every minute that he's the DB so she won't attack him.

• 237 posts
    March 14, 2016 9:08 AM EDT

Don't be lazy!

• 237 posts
    March 14, 2016 9:10 AM EDT

Or you could use Paarthurnax Bypass!  It repurposes existing dialogue, so it's actually voiced, it doesn't make the Last Dragonborn suddenly and inexplicably fluent in the language of the dragons, and it's not made by a toxic plague on the modding community.

• 321 posts
    March 14, 2016 9:36 AM EDT

I like the simplicity of it but I don't believe Delphine would give up killing Paarthurnax with just two sentences.

Still a great find though.

• 237 posts
    March 14, 2016 9:51 AM EDT

I think the reason Delphine gets so much dislike is how the bad writing of the main quest makes her seem more of a hindrance than a helping hand.  She steals the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller, sends the player on a wild goose chase in the Thalmor Embassy, and then potentially loses her only ally and sole purpose of character by demanding the death of one who has proved nothing but peaceful and helpful.  Essentially, she cuts off her own arm to spite it.  I feel like Delphine could have been a much better character, but much like the College of Winterhold and the Thieves' Guild, she was completely botched by bad writing.

But hey, she sets us on the path to finding the Dragonstone, realizing how dragons are returning, and learning what the true threat of Alduin's return is!  The Greybeards would certainly have revealed this information eventually... probably when it was already too late!  Sometimes, urgency really is called for...

• 237 posts
    March 14, 2016 10:15 AM EDT

It's a bit short, but eh.  So's most of Skyrim dialogue.  Precedent!

• March 14, 2016 10:18 AM EDT

I totally agree the 'dilemma' of killing Parthy was totally botched by the usual quest railroading and bad writing. If we'd been given more information about WHY the Blades really, really wanted him dead it might have made some sense. Some more details coming to light about what he'd done in the Dragon War, or a hint that he was something other than a harmless monk-dragon would have been nice. But anyone wanting to kill Parthurnax and lead the Blades has to essentially make up extra backplot to justify it.

What would have made some sense is that Delphine was humbled by being wrong about the Thalmor being behind the Dragons, and did some soul searching about her purpose, before offering herself as a follower/Grandmaster to the Dragonborn.The Akaviri Dragonguard revered Reman Cyrodil - surely Delphine should have had a similar attitude to the PC, devoting herself to their cause no matter what her personal misgivings. I agree her skills, intelligence, initiative and courage are clearly first class - if they'd added humility she could have been a truely great character.

As it is, she behaved irrationally because the writers wanted to shoehorn in a choice between factions at that point. A wasted opportunity. 

• 237 posts
    March 14, 2016 10:21 AM EDT

Pretty much this.  Shoehorning, forced conflict for the sake of conflict and making a choice.  Another example of Skyrim being very dumbed down compared to dedicated RPGs, not giving choices and alternate routes.

• March 14, 2016 10:57 AM EDT

I think the choice could have been a valid one, but it was just badly written. 

So much of Skyrim is bullshit I would not dare to run as a GM because my players would tear it to bits in no uncertain terms! 

• 41 posts
    March 14, 2016 11:25 AM EDT

In my opinion they could have fleshed out the Blades story a little better, I would have liked to have seen all the Thalmor routed from Skyrim in the same way the Blades were ousted from virtually all of Tamriel, why just stop at dragons when you could build the Order anew and make a mark that would potentially make a great difference in the world ? I was never all that bothered by Delphine her haughtiness and suspicion is what you have to expect from a woman who's been in hiding for the best part of thirty years or more.

• 41 posts
    March 14, 2016 11:44 AM EDT

Do it, Chris, blasphemy aside, ah ?

• 1441 posts
    March 14, 2016 11:55 AM EDT

I would try and make it as faithful as possible, kind of like what Motty did

• 1595 posts
    March 14, 2016 7:30 PM EDT

I think that's why I like her. Right or wrong she is one of the most real npcs in the game.

• 1913 posts
    March 17, 2016 11:49 AM EDT

I'd agree with you... But when she says their goal is to follow the dragonborn and the follow-up is an order to said dragonborn, I believe that's inconsistent writing at best and bad character at worst. I severely disagree

• 1595 posts
    March 17, 2016 1:38 PM EDT

Hello Bryn, long time no speak, how are ya? Ref Delphine, could you give me the quote you are talking about?

• 1913 posts
    March 18, 2016 12:13 AM EDT

I'm fine, I no longer have my 360 and wikis are unreliable but she explains the blades followed the orders of the dragonborn and in a sort of way worshipped them, or at last honor them... And yet after learning youre abilities, she still ordered you around and is passive aggressive with you until you do what she says.

• March 19, 2016 4:51 AM EDT

Delphine has no right to demand the death of one chosen by the Gods themselves, stone tablet on the way up to high hrothgar, Kyne called on Parthanax, who pitied man; together they taught men to use the voice; then Dragon war raged, Dragon against tongue. Delphine is arrogant, and ungrateful, had Kyne and Parthanax not acted in the way they did, she would have no existence. As for your comments about Jaufree, from Oblivion, Blades to old for active service, retire to Weynon Priory, Brother Piner confirms this as soon as you meet them for the first time, we are pleased to have grandmaster Jaufree as a resident here, or Brother Jaufree as he prefers to be known. And finally at the start of Oblivion Baurus will tell you that Only a very few of us have the honour to be the Emperors personal guard, Now Jaufree is the grandmaster of the ORDER  of the blades, not their military commander, so lay off old Jauffers, he is not to blame for the Emperors death.

• 1595 posts
    March 19, 2016 5:31 AM EDT

Well, if the High Hrothgar tablets say it is true then it must be true. I imagine Kyne herself came down on butterfly wings and saved humanity. Another interpretation is that old Ambition Overlord Cruelty saw a perfect moment to turn the tide in his ambition to become overlord. As for rights, who has the right to do decide anyone's fate? Maybe Paarthurnax had that right at the height of the Dragon War and wielded it with extreme cruelty? That's totally justifiable.

Interesting about old Jauffers. Perhaps he should have named a worthy successor or simply lent his years of expertise when it was needed instead of putting his feet up in a comfy priory. I would think that the Grandmaster of the Blades may have been a tad more concerned about the emperor's safety. Apparently not. Was he retired...

Jauffre would be the one to know. He’s the Grandmaster of my Order. Although you may not think so to meet him. He lives quietly as a monk at Weynon Priory, near the city of Chorrol.

Baurus told you right. I am the Grandmaster of the Blades. We serve the Emperor and the Septim bloodline. Talos is our patron. You wonder to find me here? Discretion is our watchword. Only a few of us have the honor to serve publicly in the Imperial Guard.

...Or undercover? Nice cover dude! Comfy digs, a library and a few acolytes to sodomise.

Nah, I'm messing, I like Jauffre too  in case you didn't realise, this whole article was designed to provoke. Don't take it personally my man.

• 1441 posts
    March 19, 2016 5:46 AM EDT

Dangit Phil, now you´ve giving me ideas for a Jauffre X Maborel or Jauffre X....uh, what´s his face, the other monk dude. 

• 321 posts
    March 19, 2016 5:54 AM EDT

This one thinks you've been taking too many skooma or watching Gamer Poop - Oblivion.

• 1595 posts
    March 19, 2016 6:03 AM EDT

You're lying Morgan!