Forums » Elder Scrolls

Delphine The Greatest Grandmaster

• 1595 posts
    March 13, 2016 5:18 PM EDT

No fair, one cannot simply use a Mass Effect analogy as it is an unbeatable trump card

• 393 posts
    March 13, 2016 5:37 PM EDT

Lol, indeed, quite))) What if he's an Altmer and a patriot of his homeland, even if he's not actually a Thalmor? Or maybe a Khajiit or a Bosmer?)))

I broke my brain over this when I thought through this part for my story. Can you imagine Delphine's expression when a Thalmor asks about the room in the attic?))

Actually I don't hate Delphine and don't belong to the group of people who would want to kill her. Her position is understandable, albeit quite hopeless.

• 1595 posts
    March 13, 2016 5:53 PM EDT

Well, all we really have to go on about the activities of the Dragonguard during the Interregnum is the Remenada, Chapter Two, The Chevalier Renald, Blade of the Pig.

And for four more hundreds of years did the seat of Reman stay sundered, with only the machinations of a group of loyal knights keeping all its borders from throwing wide.

At the time of the Soulburst, Sai Sahan was the Captain of the Dragonguard.

• March 13, 2016 9:38 PM EDT
    Dragons aren't really an integral part of the DB's destiny; Alduin is.

The only one who says Dragonborn were born to be dragon-slayers are Delphine and Esbern, if I recall correctly. Tiber Septim didn't kill any dragons. Hell, he hired one.
    • 1595 posts
    March 13, 2016 9:53 PM EDT

To quote the Whiterun Guards: "There weren't no dragons back then, idiot. Theye are just coming back now for the first time in...forever."

The idea of a Dragonborn being the ultimate dragonslayer is intrinsically tied with the Nordic stories. TLD can be whoever he or she wants to be but they are in Skyrim and as such Dragonborn means dragonslayer. The very oldest legends speak of Dragonborn who can kill a dragon and steal its power. It is central to their belief, their cultural music.

• March 13, 2016 10:11 PM EDT
    There were a few. We know Tiber Septim came into contact with at least one. He hired it as a mercenary :P
    • 1595 posts
    March 13, 2016 10:15 PM EDT

Yeah, I mention him in my Talos article. I'm pretty sure there is a reference somewhere that old Tiber knew about Paarthy too but forbade his Blades from killing him. That's the power an emperor and it must have caused the Grandmaster back then no shortage of trouble

• 321 posts
    March 13, 2016 10:36 PM EDT

They can wait for summer))) 

That's like Mance Ryder saying we should attack the Wall when summer comes. And we all know that summer is a long way to come in ASOIF.

Did the Thalmor ever reconsider the presence of the Forsworn in the Reach? Even with a 2-3 man squad, I think they're gonna have a hard time going through Forsworn ambushes before even reaching Sky Haven Temple.

• 321 posts
    March 13, 2016 10:40 PM EDT

*sigh* If only the DB could do that with Delphine....

He already has a dragon mercenary/servant.

Re-edit: Make that TWO dragon mercenaries/servants.

• March 13, 2016 11:22 PM EDT
    Theoretically, Revan, you could start up a new order of Blades. Ones that more strictly obey the Dragonborn.

I mean the Dragonborn can pretty much do what they want. What's gonna stop them? Delphine and Esbern can't stop them. Greybeards can't stop them. Dragons can't stop them. Mundus was founded on the one rule: The Last Dragonborn ain't nothing to fuck with.
    • 393 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:31 AM EDT

That - if the Dragonborn cares what these Nords think. What if he doesn't? He could kill Alduin and go back to wherever he is from and be a farmer))

• 393 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:35 AM EDT

The Forsworn, by the way, are potential allies to the Thalmor. If they convince them to join forces against the Nords... maybe the Thalmor won't even need to go to Sky Heaven Temple. The Forsworn can do that for them.

• 321 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:37 AM EDT

Somehow, that reminds me of a certain Chinese movie where the protagonist becomes an all-powerful Kung Fu warrior then reverts back into a shopkeeper of a candy store.

I think some of you guys might know what movie I'm talking about.

Now back to the topic. It kinda depends what kind of person the DB is. All these answers can only happen if we were the DB. What if the DB was an immature teenager? Or perhaps an old man?

• 393 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:41 AM EDT

That's exactly what I said somewhere on a previous page)) It all depends on what kind of person the DB is and s/he can be any kind.

• 321 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:42 AM EDT

Kinda hard to believe the Thalmor would ally themselves with daedra-worshiping savages.

But if they let the Forsworn do their dirty work, then there's the assumption the Thalmor might stab them in the back once its done. You know, all "no witnesses" style.

• 1441 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:44 AM EDT

I mean, with one mod, if you´re a PC player, you can have the DB become High King through either marriage, or killing both candidates, and taking it for themselves. Your character has the potential to not only become immortal through Vampirsim, but gain the support of assassins, thieves, mages, and mercenaries. You can basically have a small army at your beck and call, you could summon forth Daedra, Spirits, etc

• 393 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:46 AM EDT

They definitely could use them. They could let them do the dirty work and then just say they weren't involved at all))

• 321 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:49 AM EDT

Sure no one would believe the Thalmor did it if the Forsworn attacked with Elven weapons.

• 393 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:58 AM EDT

Where would they take elven weapons? I think they are too proud to ask the Thalmor for them.

• 321 posts
    March 14, 2016 4:03 AM EDT

I like to compare the Forsworn with the Mujahideen during the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan. I don't think the Forsworn would launch an effective assault on Sky Haven Temple with their bone weapons.

So my guess is that if the Thalmor would resort to use the Forsworn to get rid of the Blades, they would supply them with Elven weapons kinda like how the U.S. supplied the Mujahideens with Stinger launchers and evidently, help them win.

• 411 posts
    March 14, 2016 4:07 AM EDT
    Fuck Delphine and the blades!
    Long Live The Thalmor!
    • 393 posts
    March 14, 2016 4:10 AM EDT

There are two people in the Temple, one of them is an old man who barely can fight. Which means it's basically an army of Forsworn against Delphine. The Forsworn have managed to take Markarth with their bone weapons, I don't think they'll have problems.

• 321 posts
    March 14, 2016 4:25 AM EDT

Markarth was different. They had guards wearing quilted armor. They probably had inside intelligence. Let's not forget that the only guards they had were old men and green boys, who would probably shit their pants the moment they see a screaming Reachman charging at them.

Now what I meant by "attacking" the Blades, I meant when the Blades had at least 10 men in their Order. Geographically, Sky Haven Temple is nearly impenetrable even for an army. 

2805: The Temple is besieged. The fool Kalien was sent to Winterhold and sacked the city. There was a reason he was denied entry into the Dragonguard. But the local people do not count the difference between Akaviri. All our years of building up trust with people of Skyrim are now for naught. - Annals of the Dragonguard

Even during the First Era, they managed to hold out for a year. Before you ask, this was against the people of Skyrim. Now imagine how long they could hold out against 1/3 of the population in the Reach. My estimate is about 2.5-3 years. Note that during that time, the Empire/Stormcloaks would be suspicious on why the Forsworn are densely packed in one area and would probably sent a small army to wipe them out.

You should really take a job as a broker, Thorien. Because you really drive a hard bargain.

• 113 posts
    March 14, 2016 4:44 AM EDT

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/18465/? Here you go, no need to kill her!

• 321 posts
    March 14, 2016 4:48 AM EDT

Good ol' Paarthurnax Dilemma. What would I do without you.

Still wish I could hear what Delphine was saying. Guess I could live with the subtitles.