Forums » Elder Scrolls

Curious if anyone has had this same issue.

• 7 posts
    March 12, 2016 12:33 AM EST

Instead of the whole story step by step, Skyrim locks up at the exact same place 5 times in a row. Xbox 360 with a wired controller.  The controller also locks up, however I can turn off the main unit using the button on front.  This only happens in a dungeon when dropping a bridge and a skeleton takes a first step on it to come at me.  I bought the Skyrim disc used.  Is it a disc issue or possibly a console problem?  No other lock ups so far anywhere else in the game and I'm on level 35.  I'm not a computer tech guy so any insight will be appreciated.  Thank you.

• March 12, 2016 4:13 AM EST

Hello there mate, I suspect its your disc, does this happen with any other games or just skyrim? if its only Skyrim then its defo the disc, if not then have your console serviced, hope this helps

• 7 posts
    March 12, 2016 7:15 AM EST

Thanks for the reply and so far, seems to be only the disc but about 6 months ago I had a game (name forgotten) that froze up once or twice but again that was a bit ago.  Would getting a new disc wipe my current play through and character?

• March 21, 2016 2:52 AM EDT

It's a disc issue. Read errors are common, especially with discs bought used. Just find yourself a new copy and you'll be good to go.

Getting a new disc will not wipe your saves.

Also, try and get your console serviced, anyway. Have the DVD drive recalibrated every 5 years or so, unless you run it off the hard drive.

Also, dust is your enemy. Hold a vacuum cleaner to the rear cooling vents once a month or so, like you should do with PCs. Gets rid of all kinds of nasty stuff. It helps my PS3 live longer. Especially if you're a smoker.

• 7 posts
    March 21, 2016 2:48 PM EDT

You rock!  Thank you for the awesome advice.  Gamestop ended up giving me a new disc all together for no charge.  Never knew about using a vacuum as you stated, so doing that today.  Again, many thanks.

• March 21, 2016 3:59 PM EDT

No problem.

But yeah, sucking the dust and stuff out of your electronics is really a good idea. If it has cooling vents and/or fans, dust will get in. It makes heat sinks inefficient so heat can build up, which kills electronics. Try it on your TV and/or computer, too. Makes a world of difference.