Forums » Elder Scrolls

Elder Scrolls Online

• 215 posts
    March 11, 2016 11:11 AM EST

Adding this here for discussion (I'm always pointed to the forums for mostly "off-topic" stuff so hopefully I've got the right place.

I just downloaded TESO (well, in about 15 more minutes...).  I just don't see much CB going on and the two builds up for sorcerers are over a year old...is the game just not conducive to CB like Skyrim is/was? 

Also, as a new ESO player...what resources should I peruse to determine skill/perk placement (of whatever variety they have in ESO) and things like spell selection (on what types of things go together for best results)?

• 312 posts
    March 11, 2016 11:12 AM EST
    I feel like UESP is still a solid site for ESO, but I could be wrong.
    • 136 posts
    March 11, 2016 11:20 AM EST

I would not use the UESP for much. Some of the information on skills does not get updated as regularly as it should. It's okay for most things as long as you use caution. Some great resources:

Tamriel Foundry

Fextralife Wiki

Deltia's Gaming (focusing on PvE and PvP)

Sypher (focusing on mainly PvP)

As for builds, CB is not as active because the builder would need to update the build when ZOS changes the skills and/or morphs. It's not that big of a deal, but most builders like to move on once they create something. ZOS rarely changes the overall meta. Deltia is an example of someone who does it right (his website is listed above). All his builds show the changes from previous patch changes. 

• 136 posts
    March 11, 2016 11:30 AM EST

Dulfy (the best skyshard and lorebook maps)

Side note: I wouldn't spend too much time on the official forums. There's some good info there but it can get a bit toxic at times. 

• 215 posts
    March 11, 2016 3:03 PM EST
    Lol. So lost right now
    • 649 posts
    March 11, 2016 3:21 PM EST

In regards to Dulfy, don´t know why, but when I was looking at their Skyhards map, they were outdated quite a lot. 

• 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 8:31 AM EST

I've used it as recently as last night - they're very accurate as far as I can tell. The only thing missing is a Wrothgar map, but Fextralife (linked above) has a good one.

• 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 8:32 AM EST

What faction did you choose?

• 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 8:35 AM EST

I should clarify that I've only used Dulfy for AD and Coldharbour. For those areas, the maps were accurate. Could be that the other faction maps might be slightly off. Not sure. I'm about ready to hit the EP faction this weekend.

• 215 posts
    March 12, 2016 8:35 AM EST
    Running sorcerer, Aldmeri
    • 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 9:02 AM EST

Awesome. That's what I did. If you need any advice, let me know.

• 215 posts
    March 12, 2016 9:08 AM EST
    Just trying to figure out how to play. The controls are so different and spread out it's hard to do anything quickly. And then of course trying to figure out the optimal skills to take and things of that nature. It took me forever I think I was level for before I even got a staff so I was using a sword and shield along with casting which I didn't figure out how to do until level two. Had to Google to figure that out
    • 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 9:27 AM EST

I understand the confusion. Here's some advice I wish I had a lower levels:

1. Skills only level if it's on your ability bar.

2. Put skills from each sorcerer skill line on your bar, even if you don't use it.

You have 3 sorcerer skills and 2 staff skills. Put a skill from Dark magic, daedric summoning, and storm calling on your skill bar. Also, place a destruction staff skill, destructive touch, on your skill bar

If you do this, then all four of those skill lines will level at the same time.

3. Put the skill you plan to use at level 15 on your skill bar.

Right now, you have one skill bar, but at level 15, you'll get a second bar that you can swap to whenever you want, including in combat. At level 15, I planned to use the restoration staff. I wouldn't have any resto staff skills unlocked if I waited until level 15 to put something on my bar. So, I put the first skill of the resto abilities on my skill bar even though I did not use it. It sounds like a waste of a slot, but but the time I reached level 15, I had a useful skill ready for me to use.

4. Low level sorcerers are squishy.

Sorcerers have some of the most powerful damage mitigation shields in the game. My shields are currently mitigating 30k of damage. However, these shields are not open to you until you get to higher levels. Therefore, you need some help. Use the summon familiar skill to help you tank damage. Then morph that skill to the Unstable Clanfear. This dude dishes out and takes a ton of damage for you. He will also heal you for 35% of your overall health. Assign him a key, then hit that key when you need an emergency heal. The Winged Twilight Matriarch (morph of Winged Twilight) has been changed on the recent patch to be a *powerful* healer. It will probably eliminate the need for a resto staff, but I'm not sure yet.

5. Currently, stamina builds are not nearly as powerful as magicka builds, and stay away from hybrid builds - they can't keep up as well.

6. Loot everything you kill and start crafting early, especially alchemy.

• 215 posts
    March 12, 2016 9:36 AM EST

I was looking through one of those links you gave earlier and looking at an Ignition build using Inner Light, Bound Aegis and Liquid Lightning.

But I'm not sure how to get those...currently only have on "armor" type spell and one "castable" spell.  How do you get the items to put on your bar like you reference for resto?

• 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 9:37 AM EST

Before level 15, my skill bar looked like this:

- Destructive Reach (destruction staff)

This is the morph of Destructive Touch. It provides more overall damage, but the morph, Destructive Clench,  interrupts the enemy, which might be useful if you have a hard time "kiting" the enemy.

- Unstable Clannfear. (Daedric Summoning)

Morph of Unstable Familiar. This guy is amazing

- Crystal Fragments (Dark Magic)

Morph of Crystal Shard. This is the only morph to use - the other one is useless. Crystal Fragment hits like a truck for powerful damage. It has a long cast time, but it also has the ability to insta-cast. Just use your staff until you hear a unique sound and see you hands glowing. That means Crystal Frags are ready for an instant cast

- Boundless Storm (Storm Calling)

Morph of Lightning Form. Provides physical and spell resistance and it does DOT damage. Great skill that I still use.

- (Flex spot) Grand Healing

Because I planned to use the resto staff at level 15, I placed this skill on my bar for the sole purpose of leveling. Because the Twilight Matriarch morph might be a good enough heal, you could place another skill in this spot.

Ultimate: Greater Storm Atronach

Morph of Storm Atronach

Other considerations:

Daedric Curse morphed to Velocious Curse. A single target rune curse that hits like a truck. Very useful.

Mage's Fury morphed to Endless Fury is a fantastic execute that hits hard when enemies are around 20% health.

Lightning Splash morphed to Liquid Lightning. One of the most powerful DOTs in the game. A bit of a learning curve on how to use it effectively.

• 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 9:46 AM EST

I am familiar with Deltia's Ignition build, and it is very effective. Some of those skills, however, are not open to you until you get to higher levels. The build is an "end-game" build. In his Frag-out build (which is a PvP build), he has a "leveling build" posted, which shows the skills to use in the earlier levels. It's pretty decent for a low level sorcerer.

• 215 posts
    March 12, 2016 10:04 AM EST

OK...wow.  I was leveling up but not buying my skills...or I thought I was but had 3 points left at level 5..guess I wasn't after all..lol. 

So I've added a few skills...wonder if I should restart at this point since I lost 2-3 levels of skilling those up...

And how do you craft?  I found the stations but don't have runes for enchanting yet (found one last quest).  Can't even figure out how to eat materials to see what they are for reagent purposes.  And how do you tell in the world what you can harvest?  So far it's butterflies and nirnroot and I found, by chance, one flower.  Anyway to set them to glow or anything?

• 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 10:16 AM EST

Don't restart. You're at a low enough level that it wouldn't help, unless your really want to start fresh.

Craft - Don't put a lot of skills in this until you've filled out your skill bar. Useful early skills Keen Eye (helps you to better see the materials in the wild) and Hireling (someone who will deliver materials to you).

It would be a a wall of text to explain (much more than what I already gave you. lol) So I'll direct you to videos by Miss Bizz. I know her very well, and she's very helpful. Just overlook the way she pronounces Ingots (you'll see).

Crafting - beginners

Crafting - detailed

Alchemy Basic

Alchemy, detailed

Clothing

Woodworking (staves)

Enchanting basics

Enchanting Detailed

• 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 10:17 AM EST

I have to run for now. My guild and I will be running Elden Hollow dungeon in 30 mns. I'll be back on later.

• 215 posts
    March 12, 2016 10:50 AM EST

OK...Inventory Management.  I've got 60 spaces...with mats that I'm gathering I'm always full.  And I can only get down to maybe 45-50 at the lowest selling anything of value. 

• 295 posts
    March 12, 2016 11:01 AM EST
    Lol, not playing this game until they slap in a house where I can store my 50,000 ingredients. I struggled with inventory management too.
    • 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 11:19 AM EST
    Next dlc they are putting out an unlimited crafting storage bag for people who sub. Houses are also coming too for everyone - no need to sub.

@John LeBlanc Remember, everyone has free space at the bank, so make sure t stop by the bank in Auridon - there's a bank in every town.
    • 215 posts
    March 12, 2016 11:55 AM EST
    Yeah. Not sure I'll pay a sub though
    • 136 posts
    March 12, 2016 1:11 PM EST

I don't sub either. I will sometimes buy crowns at the crown store and open up ten or so slots. Other than that, my guild has a bank and a store, which greatly helps out.

• 622 posts
    March 12, 2016 3:16 PM EST

Not many builds due to the length of time it needs to reach 1 - Vet 1. I'm replaying at the moment