Forums » General Gaming

Valkyria: Sega's Bold Decision

• 312 posts
    March 8, 2016 7:38 PM EST

Hey, guys!

If you're a fan of Sega's Valkyria Chronicles series, you may be excited that Valkyria:  Azure Revolution is just around the corner. Or you may be wary of the fact that it's an ARPG rather than an SRPG. The way they've talked about it in the interviews suggest that this is more than a pet project or a spinoff. They truly have plans for the series.

For those of you who don't know, Valkyria Chronicles:  Gallian Chronicles is a strategy RPG for PlayStation 3 set in an alternate Europe. Europe is split between Gallia, the Federation, and the Empire, three nations at odds with one another due to the rarity of a pseudo-magical mineral called Ragnite. Ragnite is used in pretty much anything, from tank engines to medical kits. In addition to the recent ports to PC and PlayStation 4, the series also has two PlayStation Portable releases, though the third game never made it overseas. Personally, I believe that releasing Valkyria Chronicles on PlayStation Portable was what prevented it from selling well here in the United States. Most people I know had a PlayStation 3 and a Nintendo DS, not a Portable. To see gameplay of Valkyria Chronicles, check this video. It's got pretty much everything about the combat:

So why is Azure Revolution so important to Valkyria fans? Well, it seems like Sega has the goal of splitting the Valkyria world into two distinct series:  Senjou (Chronicles) and Kakumei (Revolution), with Senjou being the SRPG and Kakumei being the ARPG. Personally, I think it's a bold step for Sega, and I'm very interested to see where it goes. Besides, the screenshots are absolutely gorgeous, and they've made good use of cel-shading once again. If Sega doesn't announce a Western localization in the next few years, I may end up buying a PlayStation 4.

Here's a teaser trailer for Kakumei:

What are your thoughts on this new series?

J-Wu