Forums » Elder Scrolls

I would like to know, How do you play Skyrim?

• 224 posts
    March 4, 2016 11:34 PM EST

Hello everyone,

Medieval here, I would like to know how do you play Skyrim, that means using builds of the blog, or making your own builds, doing only some quest firsts, role-playing?, in what quest do you focus, do you just play Skyrim with a new character and have fun?, or maybe you think in deep about your character?, what mods do you like and use, do you play one character almost or do you have more and play with all?, do you enjoy taking screenshots?, do you write when you play?, I'm curious about how people of this mighty blog plays Skyrim. I'm going to show how I play, so would be nice to see what are the ways you play, please comment :).

I play using almost every time the same character, I like to role play as a merchant necromancer, focused also in blacksmith.

I usually start using Character creation overhaul mod, choose my saved profile of my character and then choose a random start (a mod), then I appear in someplace of Skyrim and start to get some recruits with Guild starter mod, what lets you recruit almost anyone of Skyrim to travel with you, I have also Skyrim Populated (http://erkeilmods.altervista.org/skyrim/populated-lands-roads-paths-rs/) what makes the game more interesting, npcs everywhere, after recruiting people I get some items and when I have a good quantity I start to find a good place where pass a lot of people like a tavern for example in Riften, then I make a market stall, I really like that mod names Your own market stall, (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35305/?), the mod is so cool and role playing for merchant players, you start with nothing of reputation and meanwhile you start to sell items just like If you where running a market stall, your reputation begins to grow up and more people comes to you to buy items, the genius thing is you can bargain and you get your speech increases, also to let the time past and be more fun selling things sometimes take a book and read, the time pass using the mod names Living takes time (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/44623/?), the mod is really great because doing basic things make the time past, also sometimes I eat or drink something and I use the mod Realistic needs and diseases (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26228/?), the items you sell can see them in the carpet for sell, meanwhile their are rotting the items you see changes, and other cool thing is the items sells with other prices what adjusts by your speech skills, a really immersive way of playing merchant, I have so fun doing it, other thing to do is making weapons and armors doing blacksmith jobs, then I return to the tavern to the stall to sell them, also enjoy joing a guild and doing the quest, sometimes I enjoy doing my own quests like going to hunt or going to hunt some zombies (Creepy zombies mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56379/?) or going to hunt vampires, and then do something profitable of it like armors or get the items they got, also I like combat and battles so I have some good mods what tweaks it, a lot indeed, some of them are Deadly mutilation, Action combat, TK recoil, Enhanced blood, Locational damage, Violens. Also I have other mods but I think those I mention are some of I give more importance,
    Oh and take a lot of screenshots almost anytime I think looks awesome

That's how I play Skyrim would be nice to know yours thanks, 

• 321 posts
    March 4, 2016 11:39 PM EST

It's all about being immersive for me.

I tend to play with Frostfall, iNeed and Campfire. So most of the time it's travel, camp, sleep and go. The random encounters makes travelling way more better than fast-travelling.

• 224 posts
    March 5, 2016 12:08 AM EST

Cool, sounds fun, the survivalist kind of playing was in my mind, but I'm good just with Realistic needs and diseases, you know there is a game names / days to die, Is the most survival game I have ever seen, love that game: http://7daystodie.com/, I cant play it cuz my video card but I recommend it to you, everything affects your character the weather you have temperature of the body and temperature of the world, you can modify almost any part of the world because is like minecraft but with nice graphics more realistic in someway, and you have to survive against zombies, my best zombie apocalypse experience 

• 288 posts
    March 5, 2016 3:42 AM EST

I always play it pure, mods don't sit well with me; the only exception being SkyUI.

• March 5, 2016 8:26 AM EST

I play on XBox, but the number of cool immersive mods I've heard about through this site are making me want to get a gaming PC again! I would love to have some of those you've talked about above.

Generally I like to have a clear idea in my head of who I'm playing before I start. Often I will spend a lot of time on this site or the uesp wiki reading lore and builds for inspiration, and planning perks and quests before I start. I don't plan everything out, but I have to be clear about who my character is going to be and have a short shopping list of what I'm trying to acheive with that playthrough. This will usually consist of one or two major questlines to follow or dungeon types to focus on, some restrictions or plans for what perks and gear they will use, and perhaps what their faith and politics are. This has to come together with a consistent feel. For example, for my Breton Thief (currently paused at level 41) I had the following goals:

- play through without perking combat, as a 'pure thief', using followers for combat.

- explore being a 'charismatic' rogue, by using buffs on followers, and taking social perks.

- finish up all the Thieves Guild quests.

- no Crafting, use the Thieves Guild questline equipment.

I prefer not to fast travel. I don't play anything too dark or evil (a bit of light theft is about my limit!). I play on Expert difficulty. I don't use glitches and exploits, and like to challenge myself in play, so I'm often dying! (My husband likes to twink himself with exploits, turn the difficulty down, and run around beating things to death with ease, and so we mock each other's playstyle ).  I often delete a build in the teen levels if I'm just not 'feeling it', but if they are going to be a good build they will usually accomplish their goals and carry on into the 40s. Then I find they start feeling overpowered or at a loose end, and I'm ready to try something else.

• 215 posts
    March 5, 2016 8:41 AM EST
    When I first started playing it was making up my own characters am just trying different things. Typically started with an archer and then a mage and never really did get into the warrior/sword and board class. Then I found this site and discover the world of builds. Talk about a game changer. I probably played 15 or 20 games with various builds on the site and then decided to start looking at doing builds of my own. Of course the first place you ever go, I guess, in doing your own build is your own comfort zone. So I was able to dust off several of my own characters and turn those into builds pretty quickly. Then it was trying to discover new builds and new ideas based off of experiences that I had had. So now most of my playing is geared around ideas. Might be a weapon or a piece of armor or just a location, or recently even a song that gave me an idea. And then seeing how I can fit that into Skyrim and see if I can make it make sense.
    • 485 posts
    March 5, 2016 8:57 AM EST

How do I play Skyrim?

Like a boss.

• 952 posts
    March 5, 2016 9:01 AM EST

I play it with a bunch of good mods that keep the game fresh but don't stray from the intended atmosphere for the game and I do some minor roleplaying. It's a lot of fun if every character has his own personality that can change over the course of the game.

I had this Bosmer hunter that was really passionate about hunting but after a while his thoughts went dark and he started hunting people too eventually choosing to become a werewolf so he could be the ultimate hunter.

• 312 posts
    March 5, 2016 11:03 AM EST
    First, I go and pick out a role-playing role. Then, I make my character and go on my epic joruney to Whiterun in order to summon the dragons before going on my merry way. The only mod I use is USLEEP to fix Bethesda's buggy mess, though I'm thinking about some realism mods. I have my HUD off, and I don't fast-travel.

I'll build my character around my role (I have a warrior/thief hybrid since my main play-through is as a Riften Guard), and I spend time taking screenshots and listing out what I've done.
    • 312 posts
    March 5, 2016 11:04 AM EST
    I always start with sword and board, go mage, and never really touch archers. xD Opposites!
    • 77 posts
    March 5, 2016 11:07 AM EST

This varies for me, my first character was very much a case of finding my way around an RPG, as I hadn't tried since a demo on a cover disk of Legends of Valour (Atari ST days), and also the PS3 as the only previous games I had played on it were the Portal series.

The second character was an attempt at creating a true game-based character and sticking with it (Redguard- dual wielding), this lasted for a number of levels, both my first and second characters are still played when I wish to de-stress, I love walking around the Rift or just seeing what happens.

My third character was based on a build here (Arrowsworn) and I have a journal running, that I may one day do more with. The final two have their own stories, one which is published on the Vault (Imperial - Auditor), the other is an excuse to delve into the lore of Skyrim more and may be the basis of another art project (Breton - Mage).

It would be nice to have some of the mods available, Frostfall to some degree would make the game more immersive, when writing it's sometimes difficult to sick to the eating/sleeping/temperature plan that you draw up for yourself

• 312 posts
    March 5, 2016 11:08 AM EST
    I don't use exploits, either, and I do permadeath on Expert. I restart a lot... XD
    • 312 posts
    March 5, 2016 11:10 AM EST
    7 Days isn't as good as The Long Dark, imo.
    • 140 posts
    March 5, 2016 11:37 AM EST

I mostly enjoy roleplaying, though I have done one or two just for the hell of it. I don't use any mods, because I'm a lowly Konsole King console peasant.

As for how many Characters I have, well, I lost count after 57, and that was a looong time ago. I don't play them all regularly, some of them haven't even made it of Helgen yet. The reason I have so many is because I like playing about 3-5 at a time, but can't bring myself to delete any of them once they've done what I intended them to do.

I like to think up a rough backstory before I make new Characters, then just work off of that while I play. Currently I'm play 3; Tharn Vargrsen, a Nord Great War Veteran fighting for the Stormcloaks, Sebastién Andel, a Breton Mage doing the CoW Questline, and Uvren Andalas, a Dunmer agent currently living in Raven Rock.

• 312 posts
    March 5, 2016 12:08 PM EST

The reason I have so many is because I like playing about 3-5 at a time, but can't bring myself to delete any of them once they've done what I intended them to do.

Me to a T.

• 224 posts
    March 5, 2016 1:50 PM EST

Alright, good to know it

• 224 posts
    March 5, 2016 2:02 PM EST

Nice way to play, I think is something fun playing focusing in some skill also roleplaying it, playing as a thief looks enjoyable, thats what I like of Elder Scrolls is like a lot of games in one, playing hunt, thief, merchant, warrior, mague, etc its a complete game. If you start to feel overpowered you should try some mods, I know you can get them on xbox too, Im not familiar with consoles, but check this site: http://en.softonic.com/s/skyrim-360-mods , I dont know how it work on xbox but you should get the mod of a site somewhere 

• 224 posts
    March 5, 2016 2:05 PM EST

That's good to know it, thanks

• 224 posts
    March 5, 2016 2:06 PM EST

Do you meant toggle god mode on? xP. "tgm" on console

• 224 posts
    March 5, 2016 2:07 PM EST

Interesting, nice way to play, that Boosmer character looks kind of a good story

• 224 posts
    March 5, 2016 2:17 PM EST

Nice way to play, for roleplaying as a Riften guard you could use Master of Disguise mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATGNFDgNT-A , the mod have been deleted from nexus, but If you haven't it I could send it to you 

• 312 posts
    March 5, 2016 2:18 PM EST
    I'm trying to play vanilla so console players can share in my role-play later. Thanks for the offer, though!
    • 224 posts
    March 5, 2016 2:26 PM EST

I have read the Imperial Auditor nice story, I like immersive stories, well you should google it about mods on PS3 maybe you could get some

• 295 posts
    March 5, 2016 8:44 PM EST

I usually play with the Requiem overhaul mod with it's companion mod Hard Times and then Frostfall, and iNeed. 

I like it miserable. 

• 6 posts
    March 5, 2016 9:01 PM EST

I'm the exact opposite of Overhate. Once I started modding Skyrim, I never really looked back at all. I usually have some blanket mods that all my characters use, and then specific mods for each character (shoutout to Mod Organizer for that feature). 

As for playing, I usually have multiple characters going on at the same time. Right now, I'm playing a character based off of Fudgemuppet's Dremora Warlord, one based off of ShinJin's Anathema, and one of my own creation that is a Redguard who focuses solely on all the Warrior skills, without any magic or thief skills at all. The Redguard is my main character, probably because he reminds me of the best playthrough I've ever had with Henson's Sun Priest.

I'm usually not quest driven. In fact, I still haven't completed the Dark Brotherhood, College of Winterhold, Companions, or Dragonborn questlines. I usually just roam around with my character, role-playing, and eventually quitting and rolling a new character after 20 or so levels.