Forums » The Lounge

There's Good Poetry, Then There's Most Poetry

• 133 posts
    February 27, 2016 12:51 AM EST

After finishing up a Bad Poetry competition at school tonight (technically last night, lord I'm up too late) I was inspired to ask this question to all of you: What is the most fun writing-related, poetry or otherwise, event or thing that you've done? I ask this because this recent Bad Poetry event I went to may well have been my example.

After making it into a six-way tie for the winner, we went into a finalists round, where we were given a location, a noun, and a verb that we had to incorporate into a poem that would be written on the spot, within five minutes. Unfortunately, I did not bring home the first place prize (a dolphin stuffed animal made into a hat). However, my best friend did. Needless to say, I am jealous. 

So again: What is the most fun event, competition, etc. that you have competed or taken part in pertaining to any sort of writing? Answer below!

• 367 posts
    February 27, 2016 8:27 AM EST

I tend to enjoy everything I do.  Else, what’s the point? Even something like shopping… Aela and I always make a point of stopping for a coffee when we go shopping.

There are a few events on the blog here which I’ve entered and I have enjoyed each one. My first real Blog event was the CB Evolution Builds. During that time I created my first and as of yet only build. Had a great time making it even though I drove Elysium  and Tae-Rai up the wall in doing it.

(You two say I didn’t but I know I did… Thanks)

Then it was Albino’s turn ‘cause I posted it too early and made a right mess of my tags.

(Sorry again Albino)

November 2015 was the NaNoWriMo (National November Writers Month). The objective is to write a 50,000 word story during the month of November. I had a great time with this and actually cleared the 50k word count in two weeks. A few of us in Tamriel Tales entered it. Some of us managed it while others didn’t. That doesn’t matter. It was the fact that a group of us took part and egged each other on.

In Jan this year we ran a short story month in TT (Month of Short Stories - January 2016)which was awesome. We had lots of entries and I managed to get a good few chapters in for my part. Looking forwards to the next event when the two hosts can get their asses into gear and set one up.

Oh right... that’s me!!!

• 694 posts
    February 27, 2016 4:17 PM EST

It's been some time, but in middle school I was a member of the competitive creative writing team, Power of the Pen. It sounds kind of crazy, right? We practiced once a week by writing to a prompt in a set amount of time, and would then collectively workshop our creative writings.

So the way the tournament aspect of it works is that basically kids from different schools get together on a single day, and are all issued a prompt within a set time limit. I think there were three or four rounds in a day. The submissions were scored, the best voted on, and then at the end of the day we all gathered in an auditorium and the judges announced the winners for each prompt. I did it for two years, it was a lot of fun. 

• 1595 posts
    February 27, 2016 8:13 PM EST

I was once in a play at school about the Pied Piper. It had a pretty good poem about rats in it. I played a rat.