Forums » Fallout

Gameinformer interview with Todd Howard: Fallout 4 DLC, G.E.C.K.

• 189 posts
    February 23, 2016 2:25 AM EST

Gameinformer interviewed Todd Howard today. Check the article on their site, and the thread on /r/fallout too. tl;dr highlights via /u/VaultOfDaedalus:

• Three news projects being worked on by BGS; 'aren't all the same scale, but they are longer term'.

• Fallout 4 sold more digital copies than retail on day-one.

• Todd Howard had 'one big idea' during development that didn't make it into the main game; too big for DLC.

• Fallout 4 DLC team is only part of the main-game team.

• Automatron has a 'little quest line'; 'kill robots, get their parts, build your own’. 'The robot building is really deep. It’s great.'

• Wasteland Workshop; 'You can build your own arenas, capture animals, and also build other things.'

• Far Harbor is a big new landmass.

• DLC betas will last a month before being publicly released to test various features that may or may not make it into the final version.

• Survival Mode; 'We’re doing things like you can’t save, it only saves your game when you sleep. You can’t fast travel. There’re all of these diseases. 'We want the combat to feel different, as opposed to just being a bullet sponge.'

• Estimate release for the Creation Kit in April, between DLC #1 and #2. At least a month later for Xbox One and a month after that for Playstation 4

Thoughts? I wonder what that big project was.... Someone on reddit suggested vehicles, which I think is a fair possibility. I was hoping to see the G.E.C.K. sooner than April, but then again, that's potentially less than two months from now. I didn't realize it was coming to consoles too; I thought they'd just have to get their mods from PC mod authors. Interesting stuff in here, though nothing groundbreaking.

• 6 posts
    February 23, 2016 2:59 AM EST
    Mods for consoles are a big step for creators and players alike. I can only dream if this had come to the last gen, I still be playing Skyrim 24/7 and not from time to time, but knowing how picky Sony and Microsoft can be about their consoles...(sigh) anyway nice to know.
    • 641 posts
    February 23, 2016 5:45 AM EST

So if I've got this right the Workshop essentially lets you make a slave trade? 

• 1467 posts
    February 23, 2016 6:00 AM EST

Did...did he say Arenas? Sold, instantly sold on everything, Fallout 4 is officialy my...like ya know, top 25 games ever maybe 50, point is I'm sold and ready to get back into it as an evil dictator. Yes, this is what the game needed, options.

Dude, if Fallout 4 had Vehicles, I could live all my dreams, I can just imagine rolling around the Wastelands on a decked out Dune Buggy, though honestly at this point some kind of logical universal fast travel system is something I'd prefer, but Vehicles would have been awesome.

• 773 posts
    February 23, 2016 7:05 AM EST

The stuff about the Creation Kit is a bit confusing.

I can't imagine that you'd actually make mods on anything other than a PC. But it certainly could be read as saying that there'll be a specific creation kit for consoles - which sounds insane. How could you do all that stuff without a keyboard?

Perhaps they mean that the ability to add mods to consoles is coming a bit later? Hmmm

• 739 posts
    February 23, 2016 7:20 AM EST

Yeah, from what I've read they're going to release CK on PC and then Bethesda themselves are going to cherry pick which community mods they want to port over to console...

This is likely for quality control to prevent a mod from bugging out players games and also for content control to prevent 12 year olds running around in the nude...

Hopefully they'll be making their choices based on a mods popularity.

• 739 posts
    February 23, 2016 7:43 AM EST

I like the look of Survival Mode...

No fast travelling is pretty neat although I suspect it may become tedious with some of the faction missions where they tend to send you all over the shop with little reward...

'We want the combat to feel different, as opposed to just being a bullet sponge.' - awesome...

...that's definitely something they should avoid.

• 1441 posts
    February 23, 2016 12:56 PM EST

Yeah, you could Mad Max the hell out of this, maybe, like in NV, a mod will be made that adds that. I know Wanderer´s Edition, a mod for F03, had a motocycle you have to fix up you could use as fast travel. I hope one mod is a drivable Vertibird I saw in one of Robbaz´s vids

• 1441 posts
    February 23, 2016 12:56 PM EST

Yeah, like quest mods, armor and weapon mods, etc. Like those by Hothtrooper