Forums » General Gaming

Bethesda Are Making Three New Games

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 19, 2016 7:42 PM EST

I like the idea of having a Bethesda game set in space, but what I'd really love is something akin to Vampire: The Masquerade game. An "underworld" kind of game. I didn't know that was what I wanted until I realized how much I loved Dishonored's dark fantasy setting and discovered VTM.

But regardless of what I want, I think both those games would require a new engine. The one Beth uses has started to show its age...

• 295 posts
    February 19, 2016 7:47 PM EST

Hey, it's not what I want. I want ES to go on forever, I just have that bad gut feeling. Trust me, Tom, I do not like having this feeling. I want to be soooo wrong, you have no idea. But, I can't help the bad feeling. 

• 295 posts
    February 19, 2016 7:48 PM EST

Man with No name would be so awesome. I love that Italian Western style

• 10 posts
    February 19, 2016 8:37 PM EST

GAWD, Please no!.  I can see ES:V as being the end of the time line...but I can also see a lot of the timeline BETWEEN ESO and ES:V.  There's plenty of room for more ES games in there.

That being said, with the move to a MMO format I can also see a withdrawal from the single player RPG, which is a sin.  Bethesda , as evidenced by both the FO and ES series, do RPGs RIGHT.  I can't say that for many game developers these days.

I really hope these three new games are a sign that Bethesda are growing and they will continue to produce quality RPGs and then dabble in other things.  I would love a horror or adventure type of RPG.  Something ala Silent Hill/Resident Evil or Assassin's Creed/Tomb Raider.  Not a re-creation of those games, but something in those veins.

• 10 posts
    February 19, 2016 8:41 PM EST

> I've had a real hankering to play some kind of mech type game recently.

You know...I've not seen a good MechWarrior game since MW3 (showing my age).  Microsoft basically killed it when they turned it into an XBOX game.  If Bethesda were to take that universe over, I'd jump on the bandwagon.

• 10 posts
    February 19, 2016 8:42 PM EST

> But regardless of what I want, I think both those games would require a new engine. The one Beth uses has started to show its age...

STARTED? LOL!

• 215 posts
    February 19, 2016 9:19 PM EST
    I would like to maybe see them re-issue all the older games going back to arena but revamping them into current technology
    • 27 posts
    February 19, 2016 10:25 PM EST

I really like the idea of sci-fi meets magic something similar to the Shadowrun universe except with magic

• 71 posts
    February 20, 2016 12:02 AM EST

Well he didn't say that all 3 were new IPs, just that they were different. This might just mean a new engine for, say, ESVI? If not, and they are all new, I have a few items on my wish list. I'd like to see a Bethesda style rpg set in the age of sail; a really good pirate game is always something to cherish, and very few have been done justice. RDR proved that cowboys could make a good game, so why can't Bethesda do the same thing with pirates? I'd also really dig an open world, zombie rpg. Something like DayZ, but a Bethesda game where I wouldn't constantly lose my stuff. This probably won't happen, just because I feel zombies are on the way out and Fallout already covers the post-apocalyptic base. Finally, I have to agree with some of the others here and say a space game would be really cool. I'd say a Star Wars game, but if Bethesda could create another world like they did with Tamriel, but set it across a galaxy, I'd be a pretty happy guy.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    February 20, 2016 12:19 AM EST

Hush! Don't cast your evil upon the holiest of games.

• 27 posts
    February 20, 2016 12:53 AM EST

oops Except in space not Magic

• 585 posts
    February 20, 2016 6:50 AM EST

I've never got into the space futuristic type of RPG, I've always preferred swords. So I would love a historical RPG, like the War of the Roses or something, where you can change the course of history, and even affect later wars that you could also fight in.

If not, something like Vampire: The Masquerade would be awesome.

• 43 posts
    February 20, 2016 8:34 AM EST

Just make sure you have the expansions and a clean install or it won't work.

• 43 posts
    February 20, 2016 8:45 AM EST

Bethesda might be making a Star Wars game with the new films, if they are i really hope its a good successor to the KOTOR series. 

• 207 posts
    February 20, 2016 9:10 AM EST

I would love some new-setting action-roleplaying game by Bethesda. I would be especially interested some kind of steampunk setting (though es could develop into this) or, like it was already said, something in space or "underworldly".

• 641 posts
    February 20, 2016 11:29 AM EST

I want a big sci-fi game. Beth is always flirting with sci-fi in Elder Scrolls and Fallout so I would like them to take the ideas they were going to use for Prey 2 build on them and turn it in to something new. 

• February 20, 2016 11:53 AM EST

ESO hasn't been incredibly successful from what I've seen. I'm also not seeing the finality with Skyrim. I mean the Thalmor are still mucking about, Alduin isn't permanently gone, etc.

• 641 posts
    February 20, 2016 11:58 AM EST

Hey Mr Edd have you seen the trailer for the game Vampyr from DONTNOD?

• 739 posts
    February 22, 2016 9:17 AM EST

It doesn't sound like ES6 is a priority does it? But then Howard is pretty well known for keeping secrets from fans...

For me though I'm just pleased they're working on three projects and that they're 'big and crazy'.

As much as I love the Elder Scrolls it's ultimately having an open world rpg to explore in multiple different ways that really excites me about Bethesda titles...so as long as the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree it looks like I'll be a happy guy...

It's too hard for me to say what I think they're working on.......much easier for me to say what I hope they're not working on.

A Racing Game...
    A Sports Game...
    Any kind of COD-style monster...
    ...or worse an MMO.

No!

As long as they stick to open world RPG's (and I suspect they will) then I'll be more than happy! I'd enjoy seeing a multiplayer element added to some of their games.....just not massive multiplayer.

I do fancy a space RPG. Anyone here old enough to remember Frontier Elite? Can you imagine if Bethesda added their magic to a game of that scale? A whole universe!! Awesome!

• 641 posts
    February 22, 2016 9:58 AM EST

I don't think we have to worry about those types of games since Todd did say the games they are making are Bethesda-style and I don't see sport or racing fitting in that category also it would be insane for a company to have more than one MMO.

I feel like Beth has been working on the same games for years so after Skyrim they decided to put ESO in to practice so that it placates Elder Scrolls fans then put out Fallout 4 so now they can finally concentrate on trying out something new.

• 14 posts
    February 22, 2016 10:24 AM EST
    I know Bethesda Studios are working on Dishonored 2 from the E3 reveal. I think they are working on ESVI (with no solid proof). As for the other game, I do not know.
    • 288 posts
    February 22, 2016 10:45 AM EST

Ok, so this is now officially the Todd Howard fanboy site? Or the Bethesda wankfest?

No, seriously. Just because Bethesda are making the ES series, which we all like, doesn't mean that all their games are good and that we should discuss them all. Because if we do, then it does become what I said in the first sentence. The site already went in this direction by choosing to focus more on Fallout than on ESO, while keeping Mass Effect, for example, a simple section under Misc.

• 649 posts
    February 22, 2016 11:06 AM EST

Damn it! Where's like comment button?!

Ah, whatever. +1, mate. +1. 

• 641 posts
    February 22, 2016 11:09 AM EST

You know you can always just not talk about the things you don't want to talk about?

• 739 posts
    February 22, 2016 11:22 AM EST

Just replying to the topic in hand Overhate... 

I agree that there's no guarantee Bethesda will make a success of these new ventures, I put Dishonored down after about 1 hour, it didn't pull me in at all.

But given that over the last 10 years the vast majority of my gaming time has been spent playing Bethesda games I can't help but be excited about what they choose to make next.

I happen to think we should branch out into other games here. Seriously, I don't think I can handle seeing many more boring Skyrim screenshots in the activity feed...