Forums » Fallout

DragonRant: Fallout 4 Weapon Customization

• 1467 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:35 PM EST

Finally you say, a topic not even Dragonborn can rant about, well you'd say that but guess what...You're mostly correct. 

Personally, I loved the Weapon Mods in Fallout 4, they added some real customization options to various guns, and made the game a lot more vibrant when it has about 20 unique gun types. But, would it have been that difficult to expand this awesome modding to Melee and Unarmed weapons? apparently it was because we have just a massively limited job there, melee weapons come with, some kind of bleeding effect and maybe an elemental effect, but nothing near the amount of customization that Guns have. What about increased  or decreased size mods (Imagine being able to shorten a machete for stealth, or increase its length for damage and reach), faster or slower speed, different materials (Why can't I upgrade my knife to not be shiny?), AoE attacks (If I slam my baseball bat into an enemy, I want an explosive upgrade damnit).

So what do you think of the Modification System? Is the system well implemented, logical? or do you just hate it and think they should've just let us enchant guns 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 12, 2016 12:41 AM EST

I love it, though I barely scratched its surface. That seems to be the case with me regarding a lot of things in this game.

What I did see was some great fire/energy weapons customization, allowing me to take a pistol-like gun and make it into a sniper rifle. Who would have thought that crappy gun I found in Concord would end up being useful?

And Explosive Bat Hits? Yes, please. I would call it...

Horny Lucille.

• 1217 posts
    February 12, 2016 1:07 AM EST

I found the system as a whole pretty underwhelming. Laser and Plasma weapons got the closest to the system's potential, but nothing else did, including melee/unarmed, like you mentioned. I mean, the potential for modding with a Ripper or Shishkebab, and that's all? I'm really hoping for a Gun Runners Arsenal-esque DLC that injects more meat into the weapons. I coulda completely done without the concept of Legendary weapons in favor of more actual weapon variety.

• 1441 posts
    February 12, 2016 1:19 AM EST

I love it, though yeah, I feel they could haven given a bit more love to unarmed and melee

• 1467 posts
    February 12, 2016 4:02 AM EST

I found the system as a whole pretty underwhelming. Laser and Plasma weapons got the closest to the system's potential, but nothing else did, including melee/unarmed, like you mentioned.

I haven't actually played around with Laser/Plasma weapons yet, they're the one type of weapon that's never appealed to me in Fallout. That's not true, I have used the Laser Musket, which so far is the only really unique feeling weapon I've used and the customization for it is pretty good, I can only imagine that the others are even better.

I coulda completely done without the concept of Legendary weapons in favor of more actual weapon variety.

I actually really like Legendary Weapons, they shouldn't replace any other kind of weapon but they add a quality to the game like Artifacts or Enchanted Weapons did for Skyrim, it makes it that much more fun to hunt around as a non-crafting character (but then...mods are better so...) I'm kind of split on this one. 

• 1467 posts
    February 12, 2016 6:56 AM EST

Explosive Bats? Is that a wishlist or an item? Because it'd be awesome if it exists (Unless your talking about the 2076 World Series Bat)

Personally I'm a little disappointing that we only get the Electric and Fire upgrades, why not some more Frost/Cold based weapons or maybe some more of those interesting effects. I feel like we ended up getting too many Scopes, Magazines and what not, but not enough interesting, actually cool stuff.

I think on the surface it seems interesting, but actually delving into it just made me realize how limited most of the upgrades are, especially with all the cool weapons (I swear, all the cool weapons were skipped over when it came to Mod Allocation)

• 1467 posts
    February 12, 2016 7:23 AM EST

What is it that you love about it Chris? I mean, as many problems as I have with it, it is a semi-extensive system.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 12, 2016 11:30 AM EST

Yeah, I meant AoE explosions once you hit. It's in my wishlist too, and though I'd never come to terms with its concept/applicability in the semi-realistic Fallout world, it's something that would be really fun. And gory.

• 1217 posts
    February 12, 2016 2:43 PM EST

I have to ask what about the Laser Musket customization appeals to you? It's basically scopes and damage boosters.

Legendary weapons are cool, I think it's an awesome idea. But if it was a choice between legendaries and more diverse weapons/mods, I'd pick the weapons, and be content with a handful of Unique's hidden in the world or held by select NPCs.

• 1441 posts
    February 12, 2016 2:48 PM EST

I like all the various options for guns, though yeah, giving some more love to melee and unarmed would have been nice

• 1467 posts
    February 12, 2016 6:24 PM EST

Oh, it isn't the customization of the Laser Musket, just the gun itself, the crank system as a unique customization only for it is pretty much the only thing I enjoyed about it's customization. 

That's another thing I hate....The Unique's aren't really that unique. Is there a single effect on a unique weapon that you can't get on a Legendary weapon? If so I haven't come across it and I'd be interested in doing it but at the moment the entire unique system seems to be the broken one...They're basically just set Legendary Items (Oh, I suppose the Cryolater is an exception) which aggravates me more than I care to admit. 

• 1467 posts
    February 12, 2016 6:29 PM EST

See, until Fallout 4 I saw the Fallout franchise as over the top, not like Borderlands or something but still a universe where you can make ridiculous weapons and people won't get pissed at you  That was the fun before 4

But yes, if I could use something like the Power Armour jump slam (or whatever it's called) with a Bat, but more explosive it would be a dream come true, I would create the ultimate Baseball player who uses an Explosive Bat and Baseball Grenades to pulverize everything