Forums » Fallout

Fallout 4 is about to get hardcore

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 12, 2016 10:58 AM EST

Right now, Survival mode is a separate setting difficulty, the highest one available. Back in New Vegas, as Xavier said, you would get a message after you left the initial area asking if you'd like to play the game in Hardcore mode or not.

But in Beth's planned overhaul? I don't know how they'll make it, I'm hoping they make it a separate thing. As you said, sponge enemies are a real pain in the ass.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 12, 2016 11:05 AM EST

Agreed, roleplaying is the central area this overhaul should be aiming for, as it was the case with New Vegas' hardcore mode. We can only hope Beth realizes that the biggest potential in this update lies in introducing a new feature, and not forcing us into a determined difficulty setting that, until now, is really just an unfair experience.

• 1483 posts
    February 12, 2016 1:50 PM EST

So want this!! 

• 41 posts
    February 12, 2016 2:01 PM EST
    It's easy to learn, impossible to master. I'd recommend learning with a small weight compound bow. With a compound, once you've fully drawn, the tension is lower, and it's a bit easier to focus starting out, makes it easier to just practice releasing the string properly. From there, arrows are also generally cheaper and break less often. I'd also recommend aluminum. They don't break, they bend. You can fire a bent arrow, it just won't be quite as accurate :p at starting ranges that won't matter.

Don't make my mistake either... When you buy arrows, buy the same exact kind. The slight weight difference/length difference can throw you off. Edit: Avoid hitting your arm with the string. When I was first learning I had a 25lb compound... I got my new one which was considerably more powerful, and decided to compare. I had the 25lb bow at half draw and my finger slipped. Had a welt on my forearm with lots of pretty colors, and it took up about half my arm xD
    • 1913 posts
    February 12, 2016 3:33 PM EST
    Survival isn't that bad. I played a bit of it and killed a dog with two shotgun blasts, no perks for combat.

Now, the hardcore mode could have been played on any difficulty in NV, but from how its worded now, it has to be on survival difficulty I think.
    • 773 posts
    February 12, 2016 4:29 PM EST

That would be a real shame

Making an almost impossible difficulty level even more difficult by adding diseases and sleep requirements seems a bit pointless

Creating a 'Realistic Needs' or 'Frostfall' mode that can be played at any level, and adds a whole layer of role play, seems much more desirable. And you could still play the new mode on Survival Difficulty if you really wanted...

• 168 posts
    February 12, 2016 4:44 PM EST

I think that the needs upkeep is just tedious and annoying. It doesn't make the game harder, just tedious and annoying. If other people like it then that's fine, I don't really care as long as it stays optional.

WTB level cap option, something like Logan's Loophole that FNV had? Would encourage me to come back to this game. It's waayyy to easy to max out a character, even unintentionally. Also, have an option in the settings to remove the player character's voice acting.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 12, 2016 11:09 PM EST

Hmm, I haven't played it that much, but I certainly felt like the game had some quick leveling. Perhaps it's something they could adjust with a patch? As for the voice acting, I don't think they'll add the option to remove it, but there are already mods for that! If you'd like me to link you to them, ask away.

• 41 posts
    February 12, 2016 11:45 PM EST
    Could use an Xbox mod for that if they exist yet O.o
    • 1595 posts
    February 13, 2016 4:19 AM EST

This could well be what I need to get back to the Wasteland. I played New Vegas on Harcore on my first playthrough and enjoyed it, but also never felt like playing again after. That could be because back then I was going it alone. Hopefully this time around I will have The Vault showing me the right way to do it with guides and tips and the like.

• 41 posts
    February 13, 2016 10:32 AM EST
    Admittedly... This game is good at pulling you back in, but rarely satisfying when you go, once you've really hammered out a good character. The roleplay is blasted to hell and you're left with a non linear shooter with limited role play. Take your sweet time doing the main quest for the first time to get the most out of it lol
    • 739 posts
    February 13, 2016 10:38 AM EST

I've not completed the main quest yet, I tend to drag out the factions for as long as possible with all Bethesda games so that I always have something to look forward to...

It was ages before I even completed the Thieves back in Skyrim, did the college a ton of times though, mostly for the spells and word walls...

• 41 posts
    February 13, 2016 11:09 AM EST
    The college is the one faction I've hardly touched, granted I found the companions dull too lol. The beauty of skyrim, is there is ALWAYS something else to do, and you will rarely have trouble finding no radiant quests... FO factions are MOSTLY main quests and radiants :/

No, no tinker. I don't want to drop off another Mila for you. Edit: I mean my first "Feeding the Troops" Quest for teagan sent me to the same place three times in a row, back to back, over and over lol
    • 739 posts
    February 13, 2016 11:21 AM EST

'Fetch' missions have been a bit of a problem with Beth games for a while now...

I wouldn't mind them so much if they all served a larger purpose like promotions in the ranks of a given faction (like Morrowind) but listening to the same dialogue and going to the same locations just to rack up exp is a pain in the butt...

Still, I do enjoy working for Reese and Haylen and it's a good way to get out and about in the Commonwealth and stop me getting bored.