Forums » Fallout

Fallout New Vegas

• 215 posts
    February 6, 2016 3:43 PM EST

I did a search but nothing really came up so not sure if we are even covering this game.

I've never played FO before, any version, and not a big "shooter" fan but got it on sale recently and was trying to give it a go.

Is there any good information on here about FO;NV that could help a FO noob?  I finished up the initial town and moved to the second town (prison area) and was immediately shot and killed...boom.  so I don't know if I didn't create my character right.  Don't know if the gear/weapons/skills etc are wrong.  Not sure if I missed stuff (don't think so) but was just level 2 when leaving the first town. 

Oh, and when doing the last "big quest" in the starting zone I had the main quest and three optional quests.  My skills were not high enough to complete any of the optional ones (dynamite, town help, supplies (guns/ammo).

So I need some general idea of how to play, make sure I'm progressing right, etc.  Thanks in advance.

• 490 posts
    February 6, 2016 4:16 PM EST
    Well if you pissed off the Powder Gangers, they run the prison so they will try to shoot you on sight. Keep track of your karma and what factions like you
    • 215 posts
    February 6, 2016 4:22 PM EST
    I did side with the town and killed the Gangers. But I ran into some other ganger's near the jump school I think and they didn't attack me. I did find the soldiers and they said to stay away from the west side but that's kind of the next area to go to I guess but there's no question that I can find
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 6, 2016 6:05 PM EST

Hm, what does your SPECIAL distribution looks like?

• 215 posts
    February 6, 2016 6:07 PM EST
    I'm not even sure what a "special" distribution is.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 6, 2016 6:17 PM EST

You have to look deep in your heart for it.

Kidding, but it's this thing, you can find it on your pip boy. It's what you picked at that machine in the doc's house.

• 215 posts
    February 6, 2016 6:26 PM EST
    OK well that makes sense now. Thank you very much for that.

S: 5
    P: 7 (+)
    E: 6
    C: 5
    I: 7
    A: 6
    L: 5
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 6, 2016 6:32 PM EST

Well, it's well balanced. No problem there. It might be something with your gear/weapons, you have to make sure they are in a good state (weapons/gear break in this game)

Also, did you choose to play the game in hardcore mode? They ask you if you want to when you leave the doctor's house.

• 215 posts
    February 6, 2016 6:52 PM EST

Pretty sure I did not.  I usually play in Normal mode in every game.  It's likely USER error since I just don't know what I'm doing.  LOL

• 179 posts
    February 6, 2016 8:08 PM EST

I wouldn't worry about it too much. New Vegas was my first Fallout game too, and it took a little while before I got the hang of it. Just give it some time. Also, just for the record, we are covering New Vegas and the older Fallout games; you can even find a couple of New Vegas builds in the Fallout CB group.