Forums » Fallout

Fallout 4: favorite settlement?

• 64 posts
    February 1, 2016 11:12 AM EST

So, Fallout for me is all about roleplaying a sort of “Custom-punk-apocalypse-survivor”, which means I like to think of my power armor as the cars from Mad Max - I spend my entire playthrough customizing it and so on-. It also means that I make my characters look like “punks”, with hardcore hairstyles and armor-combinations that make them look like survivors.

What I’m trying to say is that I looooovvveee aesthetics, and with all the base customization options that the game allows us, I was simply wondering which settlement you guys enjoy the most?    

For me it’s either got to be The Red Rocket, no other settlement has that customs-garage feel to them. Or Hangman’s Alley, because I love making that place into a “slum”.

So, what’s your favorite settlement / base?

• 739 posts
    February 1, 2016 12:05 PM EST

Due to never perking Local Leader yet I'd have to say Red Rocket as well, turned that place into a nice little fort on several characters now...

I did notice something very cool the other day! Graygarden can be turned into a gunner highway base because of its location.

You have to build a stairway to heaven to reach the highway but once you're up there you can scrap all the cars and the area is pretty flat to get a cool looking base going.

EDIT

Just found the perfect supporting picture...

• 1441 posts
    February 1, 2016 12:09 PM EST

Awesome Mason, I didn't know that. I love Red Rocket as well, as its my go to headquarters. I'm loving Spectacle Island, I can make my own island fort/prison/base/castle

• 64 posts
    February 1, 2016 12:17 PM EST

Yes I liked Spectacle island aswell, the only thing is I found it too big, I like the small detailed homes, not the big ones. I'll take a screenshot of my red Rocket, It's heavily modded tho 

• 739 posts
    February 1, 2016 12:29 PM EST

I made a huge base over on spectacle and it never saw any action. I like Red Rocket and Starlight because they both have radiant spawns nearby that you can shoot at every time you come home to drop off loot.

• 1441 posts
    February 1, 2016 12:33 PM EST

Yeah, and you can collect loot and Nuclear Materials by making Suciders blow up

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 1, 2016 3:14 PM EST

I haven't explored all settlements available. Of the ones I have, I liked Sanctuary and the Castle the most, though I'm interested in Spectacle Isle from what you guys said. A whole island just for the Minutemen...  Assuming I ever return to that character.

Graygarden looks awesome too, perfect nest for a lone sniper.

However, I have to say I dislike how Sanctuary is basically forced on you if you help Preston in the museum. How can I leave all those people there? If only we could move them...

• 1441 posts
    February 1, 2016 3:17 PM EST

I wish you could kill Preston, I mean, you can kill the other three faction heads, but not Preston. Don't get me wrong, I like him, and what he's trying to do, but it still strikes me as odd

• 64 posts
    February 1, 2016 3:47 PM EST

I like what he stands for, but I don't like him; he's too judging and self rightious for me... I prefer groups like the railroad or the Institute, they fight a lot more "undercover" which I find more interesting.  

• 1467 posts
    February 1, 2016 3:59 PM EST

So far I like Hagman's Alley (It's pretty much what I want it to be already, a quick staircase up to the roof and its all good. 

Red Rocket is alright, I generally use it as a base for characters who don't have the Charisma (And won't) to get a proper base organised, it feels excellent for a single character to live there.

Other then that, I haven't really had many proper bases, most I've set up with defenses and let them live on their own. I've never actually had anyone attack me...which is kind of irritating because I haven't experienced that part of the game yet. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 1, 2016 8:09 PM EST

I was disappointed when I found out it's not possible to build things over the surrounding roofs in Hangman's Alley... That would be sweet!

• 1467 posts
    February 1, 2016 11:55 PM EST

Agreed, it'd be an awesome, awesome thing if you could. The bonus of building upto the roofs that far into the city is still pretty great running around up there is pretty awesome (Especially for a Sniper).

I imagine that might become a Mod later down (Actually I think just about every Settlement will be built up in Mods), the ability to turn it into like a multi layered Black Market kind of thing would be awesome. 

• 64 posts
    February 2, 2016 2:30 AM EST

Mr. Edd my dear friend, that's when the use of mods come into play  

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 2, 2016 10:28 AM EST

True, but I haven't found a mod that does that yet. I think we need the GECK first.

• 134 posts
    February 4, 2016 4:30 PM EST

*Tears out hair deciding*

...right, I can narrow it down to three: Covenant, The Slog and Kingsport Lighthouse.

Covenant has that secure and homey feel to it, and Deezer sold the place with his sweet, sweet "lemon"-ade; plus, pet cat! The Slog has a tarberry farm in the pool (which looks great when built around) and friendly ghouls, as well as a pre-existing crops and building to fortify, though the factory and everything make for eyesores around the place. Kingsport Lighthouse has the height advantage, as well as that boat you can turn into a 'mobile' home, though it's a pain to clear. The roaming seagulls are also a nice touch down by the docks.

• 134 posts
    February 5, 2016 2:21 PM EST

Wait, no, Graygarden!

*Tears out remaining stands of hair*

• 229 posts
    February 16, 2016 9:05 PM EST

Hey Mason, did you know you can also do that at the Finch farm? It's a single highway, but it's still cool.

• February 18, 2016 2:31 AM EST

Sanctuary Hills, and not because of it being home. I built five guard towers were the scrapped homes used to be and placed four turrets around each one, with other turrets watching the lit streets. There is not a single area from which an attacker could enter the green zone or flee without getting their heads blown off by a sniper, or some bullets taking some flesh at least.

They see no walls — that's right, no walls, thug life — and think open fields with pretty ladies in nice dresses and strapping chaps in fine suits equal easy pickings. They become the best of fertilizer.

None of that happens in the game, of course. I have it all stored in the place that cannot detect itself. I have to finish adding the rest of the turrets to the settlement and max out my laser rifles, because I want my snipers to wreck some shit.

The boathouse gets an honorary mention as I still praise myself for putting a water purifier in the boathouse... but I prefer to call it the bathhouse because... hehe... because... let's just say no ghouls are allowed, ever. It is surrounded by steel walls with turrets ready to spaghettify attackers.