Forums » Fallout

Fallout's Experience System

• 1467 posts
    January 24, 2016 7:55 AM EST

So, for those that have gotten to play Fallout 4, I wanted to discuss a little something, that I think is the biggest problem I see with the game.

To me, the experience system is so ridiculously broken in a way that just doesn't make any sense to me. For instance, the way you get such a crap tonne of EXP for Cooking, Creating Chems, and building up your Sanctuary. I don't understand why you get so much for all of that, but wiping out a Reaper Camp get's you barely anything (Seriously...a couple floors built gets you an equal amount to a dead enemy, if not more). I really don't like getting that much, hell I don't like the idea of getting any experience for building a floor or cooking food to feed myself for the day. 

So what do you guys think of the EXP system? 

• 71 posts
    January 24, 2016 9:16 AM EST

I actually think that the experience system is a step in the right direction. I've maintained that the biggest problem posed by new Fallout (and even TES) games is that they offer no alternative to combat. All missions revolve around killing someone, or a group of someones. I hope that if they continue this trend (xp for non-combat initiatives) that maybe, if we're lucky, Obsidian will do a follow up to Fallout 4 and give us the option to make a smooth talking, pacifist character. It was possible to beat New Vegas without hardly even forming a fist, and I'd like to see that side of Fallout return.

• 773 posts
    January 24, 2016 9:16 AM EST

To be honest, I haven't thought about it much - but now you come to mention it....

The problem with getting a load of XP for building is that you can do it right from the start of the game, and you don't require any skills or perks to do it. There are videos on YouTube which show you how to quickly gain 20 levels just be spam-building stuff in Sanctuary. That's pretty silly when you think about it...

• 1467 posts
    January 24, 2016 9:27 AM EST

I do get the first part here, I'd love to see alternate characters that don't need combat, and it is a step in the right direction. But, TES gives us tonnes of non-combat alternatives to levelling up (Alchemy, Smithing, Enchanting, Speech, Pickpocket, Sneak, Lockpicking just to name the ones off the top of my head).

But I don't think Fallout has done it well, Speech Checks are a great one and honestly I get all of them except Building (I really hate getting EXP for that) but I think the ratio was just way off. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:30 AM EST

Damn Reapers, I thought Shepard had taken care of those.

Hadn't thought about that either, and in retrospect it is a pretty bad system. It's been a while since I played Fallout, so hopefully once I get back to playing there'll be an alternative (read: mod). I don't think Bethesda will change it themselves.

• 1441 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:43 AM EST

While the building one is iffy, I like the chem and cooking one, it actually gives you something outside of the finished project, though giving you a few less points of XP would be good

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 24, 2016 2:49 PM EST

Indeed, my comment was limited only to the XP you get out of building stuff. Honestly I haven't tried chem making yet, so I don't know how it works and how deep it is.

• 1483 posts
    January 24, 2016 3:34 PM EST
    Building is more time-consuming. Clearing a raider camp usually takes a few minutes tops while crafting takes more time and materials. So I think the XP gain is OK. Personally, I'm not a big fan of all the building stuff and prefer more active gameplay but for those who do, it's a good alternative.
    And I agree with Delidas about the game pushing the killing stuff angle. Pretty much every faction gives you quest(s) to wipe out the others. There is not much room to maneauver here, especially since their aid is required for the main quest.
    • 1467 posts
    January 24, 2016 4:59 PM EST
    Building is quick, 10 minutes to clear Sanctuary, 10 more minutes to build a bunch of shit that gets you to around level 5, if not more depending on what you want.
    • 1483 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:14 PM EST
    That's 20 minutes to level 5. In that time you can clear two-three raider camps which will net you the same, if not more, experience.
    • 1467 posts
    January 25, 2016 12:09 AM EST

Where are these awesome Raider Camps? I can go through 2 or 3 before even gaining a level up (With 7 Intelligence), I never get much EXP from them.

• 1483 posts
    January 25, 2016 12:25 AM EST

Usually those with many enemies. Also pick locks and hack terminals when inside. 

• 1441 posts
    January 25, 2016 1:40 AM EST

And disarm traps mah friend