Forums » Elder Scrolls

Dwarven Armor - Is it Accurate?

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 7:51 AM EST

Well, I was looking into Dwemer lore and I remember it being stated that modern smiths cannot replicate what the Dwemer have made with metal...

That being said, is the Dwarven Armor in the Elder Scrolls games actually accurate to the Dwemer themselves? Even if you are the Dragonborn, there is no way you would automatically know exactly how to craft Dwemer Armor when even the most masterful smiths in Tamriel can't even come close, unless you were taught by the Dwemer like Ahzidal, but even that is impossible since no more Dwemer remain on Tamriel (With the exception of Yagrum Bagarn, who is very likely dead at the time of Skyrim).

What do you guys think, is the Dwarven Armor accurate, or a rough replica?

• 321 posts
    January 10, 2016 8:13 AM EST

Funny you should mention it. I think that most Dwarven armors and weapons are replicas of those found in ruins. The blacksmiths don't actually know the type of metal they used to create them so they smelt gears and other dwarven metal objects.

I think this little video could explain your question.

https://youtu.be/v2PlMjjK4rs

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 8:16 AM EST

Ah yes, I have seen that video before. I have to say I agree with you, but I am quite interested to see everyone's view on the matter.

• 393 posts
    January 10, 2016 8:39 AM EST

I've read in some book that Dwemer armor is not really the armor the Dwemer wore, but poorly matched parts of the Deemer animunculi.

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 9:06 AM EST

That sounds like it would make sense... I mean its not like the Dragonborn can just automatically gain ancient knowledge by exploding some random star in the sky. 

• 393 posts
    January 10, 2016 9:11 AM EST

It's not only about the Dragonborn)) There was an entire story in that book about how Dunmer (and I suspect not only them) disassenble those animunculi and use their parts as armor. If someone smelts Dwemer metal and makes armor from it, I doubt it would be a real Dwemer armor still.

And that's why the armor is so ugly - it does look like mismatched parts of some robots))

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 9:15 AM EST

Oh yes, I know it wasn't only the Dragonborn, I was just making a point.

I've noticed the boots look an awful lot like Ancient Nord Boots.

• 393 posts
    January 10, 2016 9:20 AM EST

Hehe, to me the whole armor looks like a disassembled carcass of a mini-centurion.

The only Dwemer thing that Skyrim people seem to know how to make is arrows. They are my favorite arrows in the game. And Dwemer crossbow is cool too.

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 9:22 AM EST

Agreed, the bows look quite nice as well and the Dwarven Blackbow of Fate is simply badass in my opinion.

• 393 posts
    January 10, 2016 11:05 AM EST

Yes, it is. Though I like Elven bows more, especially Auri-El's bow, IMO it's the most beautiful and it's the fastest bow in the game.

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 11:07 AM EST

Elven Armor and Weapons are pretty as a standard, but isn't the Bound Bow faster than Auriels Bow?

• 393 posts
    January 10, 2016 11:11 AM EST

I'm not sure, but the Bound bow is supposed to be just like the Daedric. And I read somethere that Auri-El's bow is the fastest. And anyway it looks better than Daedric, unless you like more infernal style))

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 11:12 AM EST

It looks like a Daedric Bow, but it weighs nothing and therefore draws faster, I think.

• 393 posts
    January 10, 2016 11:17 AM EST

I suspect that it's weight doesn't affect the speed. Otherwise the weakest bows in the game like Long bow would be even faster than Auri-El's, and I doubt they are.

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 11:18 AM EST

It is also possible that Auriel's Bow has a unique draw speed, I have no idea.

• 321 posts
    January 10, 2016 11:21 AM EST

Auriel's Bow does fire faster with elven arrows or was it Bloodcursed and Sunhallowed?

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 11:28 AM EST

Probably Sunhallowed and Bloodcursed Arrows.

• 96 posts
    January 10, 2016 12:04 PM EST
    The bound bow, Auriels bow and Zephyr have ~ the same speed. The bound appears to be slower from time to time (probably due to a bug).
    • 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 12:05 PM EST

Ah, that makes sense. What would we do without you, Relycs? Heh

• 96 posts
    January 10, 2016 12:11 PM EST
    Using UESP (that's where I got most of my game-knowledge from), instead of guessing like mad :D.
    • 52 posts
    January 10, 2016 12:23 PM EST

Very interesting here! I think Dwarven Armor is completely different than how the Dwarves initially made it. What the Dragonborn or Your Character makes of it is like a prototype. A tracer of the closest it can be to the real thing itself. Being the most technologically advanced race at their time, I bet the real Dwarven Armor was like A supercool and possibly, heavy Robo Suit that would be a pain to put on and would have several functions to suit the wearer. A Human sized Gundam ( For those who have heard of that Anime ) This is just a theory on my part. Its no wonder none can replicate the real thing. It may be explained in ES6. Hmmm.

I agree with Thorien, Auriels Bow is my favorite and I think is the most beautiful bow. The Dwarven Blackbow of Fate is a close second. No playthrough I do, goes without these precious artifacts.

This is one of the first Screenshots I took of it long ago.

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 12:31 PM EST

Dwarven Armor should look something like this, in my opinion:

• 52 posts
    January 10, 2016 12:46 PM EST

Exactly! Damn. That is boss! Robo style right there.

• 273 posts
    January 10, 2016 12:49 PM EST

Aetherium Dominance!

• 393 posts
    January 10, 2016 1:10 PM EST

Haha someone finally succeeded in assembling the matching parts of the mini-centurion))