Forums » Elder Scrolls

Shadow Magic

• 38 posts
    December 30, 2015 4:04 AM EST

Hi everyone,

This has probably been posted in the Lore discussion page but navigating it is like trying to work out where a spider web starts...

Shadow magic - I have a character that I am writing about that uses it and the descriptions of it that I can find are rather vague. 

Does anyone know much about this form of TES magic? Any help is appreciated. In fact, just make something up if you like, I've just had root canal and really need some distraction from the pain... 

• 1595 posts
    December 30, 2015 4:38 AM EST

Henson's your guy. Plus, Oi! My home, that is.  Use The Archives - it has subjects listed by category.

• 277 posts
    December 30, 2015 4:45 AM EST
    I think someone made a skyrim build that uses shadow magic. I think it is called the shadowcaster. Anyway, you can simulate shadow magic by using the nightingale powers, the ebony mail and the shadow warrior perk from sneak. If I think of something else, I'll let you know.
    • 38 posts
    December 30, 2015 4:50 AM EST
    Thanks Phil and Noodles. This is pertinent and awesome stuff. I particularly like this:
    " Azra's view of shadows as reflections of all potentiality, meaning that one could simultaneously be harnessing all possible outcomes, past, present, and future, into one instance of existence. Pretty deep and powerful stuff."

This reminds me of Brian Cox and his explanation of multiverses.

Great, thanks. You have certainly distracted me from the root canal! Just need some Skooma and I will be fine..
    • 277 posts
    December 30, 2015 5:04 AM EST
    You're welcome!
    • 1595 posts
    December 30, 2015 5:10 AM EST

No wucking forries mate  Do us a favour and bump that topic with a small comment. The lore group needs the activity and it will be nice for Henson too I think.

Plus, Brian Cox does great work. You a brit perchance?

• 38 posts
    December 30, 2015 5:19 AM EST

No, Aussie actually. But I've seen Brian Cox twice live when he has been here. Fantastic bloke. And a a Carl Sagan fan, like me! I'm such a nerd... I've joined the lore group and made some comments on shadow magic. As I said in that comment, I'm actually interested in how some of the physics of magic might work. In my unfinished story, Technonomicon, I describe the use of fire magic in the ability of the protagonist to pull heat from the air and channel it into fire, then use the absence of the heat to perform frost magic. Interesting stuff.

• 113 posts
    December 30, 2015 8:38 AM EST
    You could take some spells from the mod "Shadow Spells" available on Nexus. Or you could take hints from Soneca the Exiled's awesome story - The Outsider. You'll probably need to use the search bar to find it.
    • 38 posts
    December 30, 2015 1:33 PM EST
    Thanks Sindeed, I'll check those out. :)
    • 113 posts
    December 31, 2015 8:39 PM EST
    No, thank you and all the writers here for giving me inspiration to write.
    • 1441 posts
    December 31, 2015 10:29 PM EST

If I recall, it allows one to see into what amounts to alternate timelines/realities

• 38 posts
    December 31, 2015 10:48 PM EST
    thats how it sounds to me