Forums » Fallout

What do you want in Fallout 4 DLC?

• December 26, 2015 7:02 PM EST
    Hey folks! I'm bored at work, so here's a discussion topic I've been thinking about: what would you like to see when Fallout 4 DLC starts appearing in "early 2016"?

New guns? New areas? New factions? Or just improvements to the ones we've already got? I'm eager to hear your ideas!

Personally, I'd like to see a few more unarmed weapon types. There are only four right now, which is really boring. I'd also like to see stories that are changed based on who you sided with for the Main Quest. Like, if you're sent to investigate a new island or something, and you supported the Brotherhood of Steel, then they send a contingent of troops along with. Ditto for the other factions.

Cool new armor is also always welcome, especially power armor. (perhaps some new paint jobs!?)
    • 1441 posts
    December 26, 2015 7:07 PM EST

Hmm, I agree with changes based on the main quest. One idea I had is perhaps uncovering, if you sided with some of the Railroad or the Brotherhood, the secrets of the Institute, or maybe a DLC where the main villain(ess) has cloned your spouse, and offers you a semblance of your old life back, if you side with them.

Hmm, other DLC story ideas. Perhaps a return to The Pitt?

• 1441 posts
    December 26, 2015 7:11 PM EST

Another idea I had is your character being trapped in a simulation of their Pre-War life, and one that's TOO perfect, like a certain set of areas in Saint's Row 4, 50's sitcom level perfect, like Tranquility Lane, and then, when they find out, the one controlling the simulation sics the inhabitants on them, including the one of their spouse. 

• 1217 posts
    December 26, 2015 7:18 PM EST

As long it adds a wealth of new weapons and armors, and doesn't trap me on an alien spaceship for hours, I've no preferences. I'd love to see them introduce a new power armor mark, but as for paint jobs, I still say the right thing to do is just introduce a color slider we can use on all armor/weapons to color them how we want.

• 1441 posts
    December 26, 2015 7:20 PM EST

One interesting idea I had is perhaps, an institute sciientist that defected, like one we may know, has created a time machine of sorts, a prototype. Your character uses it to try and alter the future, but perhaps, end up in a more distant time, like say, Salem Trials era America, or even Revolutionary War America? 

• January 1, 2016 3:55 PM EST

A time machine would be an interesting idea for DLC. The Sole Survivor would certainly have reason to want to go back, maybe prevent their spouse and kid from being trapped in the ice. And malfunctions, sending you to some crazy time period would be interesting. A good way to cut you off from the support base and make you scramble for resources again. Maybe bring back some cool, unique weapons and armor?

• January 1, 2016 3:57 PM EST

Customizing the appearance of weapons is interesting. I hadn't thought about it, but it could be fun to have, like, gold-plated laser weapons and such.

• January 1, 2016 4:01 PM EST

I like it. Real mind-screw; you wake up in your pre-war life, as if none of it ever happened. Do you see the truth, even if it means losing your love and your son all over again?

• 1441 posts
    January 1, 2016 4:04 PM EST

Yeah, like, would you live a life, with a chance to have your son and spouse, and your old life again, ot reject them for then truth? Would make an interesting idea if you could stay in there, with a large area to explore. Allows us to see more of Pre-War America.

• 1441 posts
    January 1, 2016 4:05 PM EST

Yeah, and Revolutionary War America would fit, maybe teaming up with an ancestor, and fighting Redcoats or something. Maybe you try and prevent the nukes from launching, or at least from so many coming out, but something always stops you?

• January 1, 2016 4:08 PM EST

Here's an idea: We know that there's been action on the moon, right? There's a plaque in the Concord museum that refers to the Sea of Tranquility as one of the many places men and women have died for the United States.

What if there's a DLC that sends you to a moon base of some sort? You could use the Institute's relay system to beam you up there (via a rogue scientist, who you either bring back into the fold (Institute ending) or recruit (Minutemen, Railroad and Brotherhood endings) in order to super-charge the teleportation device) and then get embroiled in the politics of a place that's been cut off from Earth for two centuries.

• 1441 posts
    January 1, 2016 4:12 PM EST

Like, unaffected by the nukes? Maybe a joint Chinese-American coalition has formed, keeping the peace and all

• 207 posts
    January 1, 2016 5:11 PM EST

More Equipment, especially more melee weapons (I run around for ages with a legendary machete and the sacrificial blade mod, which i found rather soon, without comind across something better). Also melee weapons with more than one mod space.

Maybe something like new vegas ncr salvaged power armor, i.e. a powerful armor that doesn't use fusion cores, but slows you down, takes a lot of inventory space and maybe has a strength requirement.

More perks would be nice, though i have no idea, how they could implement that other than quest and magazine perks.

Maybe some stuff that was in New Vegas, because it seems like Bethesda just didn't want to implement NV stuff into FO4. No Hydra, no hardcore mode, no thermic lances/chainsaws/ballistic fists (at least i didn't see any).

Maybe crossbows, so people can joke that Beth adds crossbows in every first dlc of their games.

And high level enemies. I played around 40 hours and i'm level forty-something.

• January 1, 2016 5:28 PM EST

Yeah! Let's unpack this a bit.

FALLOUT 4: BATTLE OF TRANQUILITY

After installing the DLC, reaching level 20 and finishing the quest "Dangerous Minds", you'll begin to pick up a strange new signal on your radio. Listening to the "Strange Transmission" will begin the quest "Moonshot" and instruct you to seek out someone who can figure out what's going on. Taking it to any of the major factions - the Mintemen, the Railroad, the Brotherhood of Steel or the Institute - will allow you to discover that the signal is coming from - drum roll - the moon! Tranquility Base, in fact, a pre-war installation that was long thought lost after the the whole apocalypse thing.

Your faction decides that it's worth checking out the signal - after all, Tranquility base was rumored to be the site of a massive, experimental laser cannon meant to rain death from the heavens...not really something you want hanging over the Commonwealth! Given the lack of space-travel ready vehicles, it's decided that you need to use the Institue's relay system to beam you up to the moonbase.

You're sent in search of an ex-Institute scientist with expertise in teleportation, in order to enlist their help in boosting (or rebuilding, if you sided against the Institute or haven't reached them yet) the relay device enough to reach the moon. After completing a few quests for them (filler stuff, maybe raiding a USSA facility for info on where to beam you so you arrive safely?), you get in the machine and...

...appear in the moonbase! This part starts off a lot like a horror movie, with you alone in a broken down, isolated base. As you wander around and discover some terminals with info explaining what the astronauts were going through when the bombs fell, you repeatedly get hints that you're being watched.

Eventually, you learn that there are two major factions left on the station - the Remnants, the descendants of the American and Chinese forces who were stationed on the moon when the Great War began, and who banded together in the name of survival; and the Patriots, a group who rejected the detente with the Chinese and fortified themselves in the control areas of the station. The two groups have been in a standoff for generations; the Remnants are far more numerous and have been able to grow food and recycle enough water to (just barely) survive, while the Patriots control the main systems - including the robotic security force and the core weapon, a.k.a. the giant laser you're here about.

You start off spending time with the Remnants, learning about the station, how they've survived, etc. (they're generally pretty nice, but also suspicious of you and have done some questionable things to survive - you can discover that they're all cannibals (why waste the meat?) and that they practice euthanasia on those who can no longer contribute to survival) When it's discovered that you're a pre-war American citizen, you're enlisted to go infiltrate the Patriots (the automated systems will let you through, a lot like the USS Constitution quest) and take them down from the inside.

Now you see the other side of the story - the Patriots are actually the original group that sequestered themselves, downloading their minds into the main computer in order to survive without any supplies. They are trapped there, and disgusted by the lengths the Remnants have gone through to survive, and ask for your help in restoring their control to the whole station so that they can vent the section where the Remnants live and "cleanse the filth" from the face of the moon.

You now have a choice- do you side with the Remnants, rebooting the main computer (and killing the Patriots) to allow them access to the entire station (and its resources) but losing access to the knowledge and technology within, or do you side with the Patriots, helping them eradicate the Remnants in the name of the good ol' US of A and giving you access to some advanced weapon mods - and the ability to call down a laser strike once a day to burn your enemies with heavenly fire.

There are also two new companions for you - Yue Collins, a young Remnant mechanic with a survival-minded personality and a jokey streak; and Buzz, a modified Patriot Assaultron with a gung-ho personality and a shoulder-mounted plasma caster. Obviously, they're mutually exclusive.

Among chances to grab lots of caps and scrap, you get access to a range of new outfits and armor (including scavenged space suits) and weapons. Once the story is over, you can relay back and forth by fast traveling.

• 1441 posts
    January 1, 2016 5:32 PM EST

That sounds awesome! And perhaps you find burned out space suits, skeletons, old weapons, burns on the walls, and other signs of battle, before you're greeted by the Remnants. I would actually like to see this, even as a mod

• January 1, 2016 5:36 PM EST

Ugh, the lack of cool melee weapons is the worst! It's obviously an afterthought for Bethesda, mostly there to give melee enemies something to run at you with. I'd love to see a high-tech melee option, like a lightsaber knock-off or something like that.

I'd also like to see a "salvaged" power armor (or just regular armor) option. So much of of the world of Fallout is made of cobbled-together materials, yet you've got folks wearing flannel and uniforms and combat armor that hasn't been manufactured in 200 years. I'd like to see more, "tire-as-a-shoulder-piece and iron stove-top chestplate" type stuff.

• 288 posts
    January 1, 2016 5:46 PM EST

Yep, definitely needs a good greatsword

• 1441 posts
    January 1, 2016 5:51 PM EST

A lightsaber like weapon would be sick! I'm surprised there's no lightsaber mods for Fallout, that I know of

• January 1, 2016 5:53 PM EST

Yes, actually! There's a greataxe, but the closest thing to a broadsword or a katana is the Shiskebab, which, while cool-looking, is kinda underpowered.

• 149 posts
    January 2, 2016 12:59 AM EST

A fantastic new locale to explore and pump action shotguns. 

• 207 posts
    January 2, 2016 9:12 AM EST

Maybe something like the blade of the east/west.

• 743 posts
    January 2, 2016 7:22 PM EST
    Asks, why aren't you a writer at Bethesda?
    • 113 posts
    • 27 posts
    January 3, 2016 7:39 AM EST

A new location with survival mode and maybe the option for a game start where your not tied to any family It feels weird going "Wheres MY SON ??? oh Look lets join the BOS or make all these settlements

• January 3, 2016 1:18 PM EST

You know what I miss from New Vegas? Tribals. One major problem, I think, that Fallout often has is that people basically continue society as it was before the bombs fell. Oh, sure, things are harder and they don't have televisions or whatever, but Diamond City is basically a pre-war town that's just a little dirtier. Settlements are closer to Little House on the Prairie than 1,000,000 B.C.

What tribals do is show how humanity would change in the face of societal collapse. Absent the mass travel and communication and population of modern life, we'd revert to a more close-knit and insular style of existence. Combine that with a drop in technological level, and we should see more tribes and clans and small communities than we do in-game. (especially considering how long it has been since the Great War)

So, continuing with the "early America" theme of Fallout 4, I think it'd be interesting to see a DLC where you travel to a region that's much more primitive and wild than the Commonwealth, full of interesting tribes and with a more primitive atmosphere. New armor would be in tribal designs and new weapon types like spears and bows would add to the feel.

The story could involve you travelling there to deal with increasing raids from the area (maybe the south; have it set in what was Rhode Island?), then you get caught up in the politics of the tribes there.