Forums » Elder Scrolls

Playing without Fast Travel

• 207 posts
    December 19, 2015 5:40 PM EST

First time in my 1000+ hours Skyrim carrer i play without fast travel. My first thought... so sloooow. But it has good sides. I think it helps me immerse myself more, especially with the "take notes"-mod.

Do you play without fast travel? Why? Does it ever get boring? Have you tips to defeat boredom that might occurs?

• 133 posts
    December 19, 2015 7:31 PM EST
    I hardly ever use fast travel. I have intense wanderlust in real life but I'm tied down at the moment so I love to escape in video games, idly trotting across expansive open worlds.

My reasoning is that the developers wouldn't have crafted this world just for us to ignore it and focus only on our objectives. We are meant to get distracted.
    • 1 posts
    December 21, 2015 1:46 PM EST

I try not to use fast travel, but there are some instances where i can't be bothered to walk/pay for carriage. I point to some of the Dawngard quest, where the objective is on the oter side of the map.

Just  wondereing, does useing carriage (that you pay for) count as fast travel?

• December 21, 2015 1:59 PM EST

I actually used a mod to disable fast travel in Skyrim a few times. It does help you enjoy the world more, because you don't reach that point where you have everything unlocked and just zip from one side of the country and back because you forgot your socks or whatever. Fast travel is nice for when you're in a hurry, though.

I think no fast travel in Fallout 4 would actually increase the value of some of the faction benefits.

• 207 posts
    December 22, 2015 5:29 AM EST

I don't count it, cause i don't want to go from Riften to Solitude by foot.

• 288 posts
    December 22, 2015 9:13 AM EST

Never done it, but on my very first character I didn't know that you could use carriages to get to major cities, so I had to discover most of them on foot for the first time. For example, in order to get to Jurgen's horn I had to walk through Labyrinthian pass which was an adventure.

Based on that I believe that disabling carriages is better than disabling fast travel - it immerses you without boring you. Additionally you can restrict yourself to fast travel only between settlements (hold capitals, small towns, inns, encampments, orc strongholds).

• 273 posts
    December 22, 2015 9:22 AM EST

I remember when I didn't know about fast travel OR carriages.

I went through labyrinthian too... Oh my God I think I got mobbed by Two Frost Trolls, a giant, two mammoths, two frostbite spiders, a dragon and a pack of wolves all at once.

Needless to say, I was destroyed 

• 295 posts
    December 22, 2015 9:35 AM EST

I don't typically fast travel and I add to that certain needs and survival mods like iNeed and Frostfall. Camping becomes so needed then. And a horse, though you can go at it with a good dog follower if he can carry some gear. No, not an entire set of daedric armor and 700 arrows and all your weapons and dragon bones, but many dogs in the military served as light pack animals, carrying ammunition and some supplies. 

• 321 posts
    December 22, 2015 10:55 AM EST

I started to play without fast-traveling after installing some immersive mods and I have to say it's really good.The only problem I have while travelling on the roads is I keep getting attack by bears especially in Eastmarch.Every minute I travel in Eastmarch, I get attack by bears! 

Just one advice, never travel out of Winterhold using Frostfall.Damn blizzards are way more worse than exposure.

• 168 posts
    December 22, 2015 5:27 PM EST

I never fast travel unless I'm riding a dragon, but I still use boats and carriages.

• 367 posts
    December 22, 2015 11:02 PM EST

Fast travelling is immersive and near always rewarding. It adds to the game  (Skyrim) and you never can be sure what you’re going to come across.

Provided...

1 You are a Werewolf.

2 Fast travelling means transforming and running around on all four paws.

3 Aela is your follower.

4 Aela has also transformed and she’s running around on all four paws.

Werewolf form is as fast as I want to go.

There is never that urgent need to finish something. Skyrim won’t drop into the sea if you take two days to get to Winterhold... Oh wait!!!

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 23, 2015 1:48 AM EST

I occasionally use fast travel, but my default is not to. The biggest issue, but this happens with fast travel I think, is predictability. You know exactly were all the bears, wolves, and saber cats are along the road. The biggest pain involves those quest lines that send you running from one end of the map to another and back. When I have to walk the same road back and forth constantly, I get bored and just fast travel.

Pick up alchemy and gather ingredients as you move. Practice your spells. Hunt game. Investigate anything that might look interesting. To provide the counter to Sotek's werewolf, Vampire Lord flying is fun as all hell. Rivers become roadways (some one-way), the coast becomes so much easier to navigate. I think Dawnguard provided the best means of transportation in the game with the Vampire Lord.

• 66 posts
    December 23, 2015 2:43 AM EST

I have it disabled and enjoy how a simple fetch quest can turn into an epic adventure, but sometimes I just need to take a screen shot or refresh my memory of a certain layout/population and at those times it's very frustrating. I usually end up using console commands to set my run speed to The Flash and turn collision off.