Forums » Elder Scrolls

TES Factions And Things We Love To Hate.

• 649 posts
    December 5, 2015 6:14 AM EST

Yeah, Thieves Guild fares much better in this field. You can do those radiant quests right from the start. Which is reason I haven´t joined Companions in like...year or so. Because you must become werewolf to be able to do radiant quests. If only they gave me the choice to do those radiant quests right from the start, it would be awesome for any mercenery character.

As for the College...the thing is, if I make a character with no magic, than I don´t even come close to College. But the main quests forces you to go there, right? And it gives you the option to enter as Dragonborn. Which I quite like. But becoming the Archmage without magical talent...well, we´re getting back to that thing that the game forces you to be "The Special One". If you managed to obtain Staff of Magnus and you´re able to wear, than you´re surely qualified to be an Archmage, no? (Just lol) 

As I said, I don´t really mind that. 

• 288 posts
    December 5, 2015 6:22 AM EST

Acuatlly, you can skip the College part of the main quest and go directly to Septimus. Once you know about him, that is.

• 367 posts
    December 5, 2015 6:24 AM EST

I have to admit this was one of the things I liked about Morrowind. It gave you choices and some factions didn't get along. (Thieves Guild and Fighter's Guild prime examples of this).

Morrowind even warned you at a key stage of the main questline that if you venture beyond then the Temple quests will close.

Skyrim Master of all is too much.

• 367 posts
    December 5, 2015 6:32 AM EST

*  Legion

There was no 'Thing' they had. Aela overwhelmingly denies any involvement. All they did is hunted as a pack. If Farkas and Vilkas were as strong with their wolf spirits then they all would have.

If Aela was with Skjor then why once she turns you can you marry her after the Companions quest line?

Why does she show no remorse over his death?  All she shows is anger because a werewolf was killed.

Why does she leave his body there to rot?

If she is with Skjor then she would wait to be rejoined with him. Not marry someone who is a werewolf, knowing full well that she will either have  to,

1 Dump you and stay with Skjor.

2 Dump Skjor and be with you.

3 stay with the pair of you.

Jeremy Springer special, we go live to the Hunting Grounds.........

All they do is hunt together.

• 367 posts
    December 5, 2015 6:44 AM EST

To be honest with the Companions, I'd be far happier if Kodlak didn't die and remained the Harbinger. Wish there was a mod that brings him back...

More time for us to go hunting on the plains. "Wait Sotek, you can't go out tonight, there's letters to write, the books to balance and there's three job requests... Sotek? Aela? Where they go?"

• 295 posts
    December 5, 2015 6:46 AM EST

*hands Sotek a doggy treat*

"Down boy, down boy. It's okay. 

• 295 posts
    December 5, 2015 7:03 AM EST

I am in agreement with regard to the factions. I do not like being the leader of each one, especially when I'm trying to roleplay, which is why my playthroughs tend to be focused on two to three questlines and that's it and then I just ignore the rest of the factions. Hard to do sometimes, when my burly warrior priest is being chased down by Brynjolf around the markets of Riften, but I try. 

I also have another problem. The members of the faction usually just sit around and eat or wander their respective locations. Really? You are the Thieves of Skyrim and blah, I see none of you doing anything? And the one thief I do see doing stuff, that random encounter, does his shit in broad daylight and he's promptly killed by the city guards. Really, you're gonna steel shit in broad daylight. Damn, no wonder your guild is in trouble, you moron. 

And don't even get me started on those random Dark Brotherhood assassins. You know, the ones that run right up to you like they're on their 10th bottle of skooma, cause that's exactly how assassins attack. With Astrid in charge, this method doesn't surprise me in the least. 

I will give the Companions this, I do see these these guys fighting stuff around Skyrim as random encounters. And I don't mind the werewolf thing so much, cause I can actually roleplay this with a good character and a more ambiguous warrior who wants power can use this too. Kodlak dreams about you, you are the key to his cure, it's stated in his journal, so I think that you become Harbinger is alright depending on the build you pick. You do do one heck of a thing for him. He is, by far, my favorite faction leader. 

Let tell you, it has been very interesting attempting to resolve these issues in a narrative.

• 649 posts
    December 5, 2015 7:09 AM EST

Well, that´s why I generally don´t have an issue with Dawnguard. Main quest is fun (though sendind a complete rookie to investigate a cave where Vampires are planning something sinister...see that pattern?), it has recruiting other people, radiant quests are open quite early. Dawnguard is by all means quite good.

Volkihar...well, it´s an interesting faction, though I wouldn´t mind if their side of the quest was different somehow. Like actually joining Harkon, not killing him in the end anyway.

• 404 posts
    December 5, 2015 1:17 PM EST
    Jake: Vampires make my blood boil. They are only good vampire is a dead vampire They burn by my
    "Righteous Might", my Custom Forged GreatSword. Me: what about Serana? Jake: she is alright, after all you did help her out and helped her curecent herself.
    • 700 posts
    December 6, 2015 4:16 PM EST

Leave it to me to infer something huge like that from so little evidence. But point taken! I have my concerns about that Jerry Springer special anyway. As entertaining as the first few minutes might be, I see it all coming to a very messy end. You've seen how bad it gets with the non- lycanthropes...

But hey, no hard feelings, right? You haven't eaten my heart out yet and I'd prefer we stay on such terms. 

• 1441 posts
    December 6, 2015 11:34 PM EST

Which makes me wonder, Skjor was her brother-in-arms yes? Why would she leave him to rot?

• 321 posts
    December 6, 2015 11:57 PM EST

Well I think she would drag Skjor outside and bury him but the game doesn't have a script like that....

• 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 12:11 AM EST

That's what I thought, or cremated him in private

• December 15, 2015 9:40 AM EST

As much as I like the Thieves Guild, it annoyed me that the main quest didn't require stealth.  I did it without killing anyone except Mercer, but it bugged me that Brynolf makes such a big deal of not killing, only to not care if you murder your way through the quest line.