Forums » The Lounge

Spoilers! (Not actual spoilers)

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 3, 2015 9:59 PM EST

Hey all, we're next to Fallout 4's one month anniversary, and as it is usual with big media releases like this, spoilers infest the internet and sometimes even our circles of friends. This time, with Bethesda's newest title, the spoiler fest began, sadly, even earlier with all those game leaks in the week preceding release.

Regardless, we all have our own stance when it comes to spoilers, so tell me...

•  What do you think of spoilers? Do you even mind them?
    •  What are your strategies to avoid being spoiled? Do they work?
    •  Was Fallout 4 spoiled to you, in any degree? Did it affect your enjoyment of the game? What about in other games/movies/books?

In the early days, damn show watchers spoiled the books for me.

• 1 posts
    December 3, 2015 10:31 PM EST
    I don't mind spoilers by now, since everything mainstream has already been spoiled for me already XD.
    • 700 posts
    December 3, 2015 10:33 PM EST

I mind spoilers. It's not just that I get information that I didn't want; it's also the inconsiderate nature that spoilers are often delivered. Assuming any given person has experienced the new thing is a generally bad way to conduct oneself and disregarding the fact that someone might want to experience that thing completely blind is at least irritating. So, I avoid people and places that are typically spoiler heavy.

My friends are all super respectful in that regard, so no issues there, and there's a spoiler control rule here (though a few have slipped through), so I find that this is generally a safe place to be. The only strategy I have otherwise is to stop reading when I hit a keyword though that's met with limited success just do to how the brain works. 

So yes, I have been spoiled to some Fallout things in some small ways here, but I don't think it'll be anything massively detrimental to my enjoyment of the game once I do get it. Countless movies have been spoiled to me, but I tend to watch groundbreaking movies (Sixth Sense, Fight Club) a decade or more after their release, so that's also on me. 

• 321 posts
    December 3, 2015 10:59 PM EST

It kinda depends on what show/game/movie I like.If don't like a certain movie,I don't mind the spoilers (saves me the time from getting bored to death only to find what happens at the end).For games especially new games like Fallout 4,I watch playthroughs since I don't have a PS4 or high-end PC to play it.As for TV shows,I prefer watching them online due to my poor scheduling.Sometimes I accidentally get spoiled while googleling them like the final episode for Game of Thrones S5 (still hits me hard with the total characters killed).

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 3, 2015 11:05 PM EST

Aye, people can be real dicks when it comes to spoiling others, especially in mainstream social media, where it is usually spilled out purposefully. And as you said, once you start reading a spoiler, it's hard to naturally stop, so once you step into the trap it's usually too late.

Unfortunately, Fallout 4 has been spoiled to me in a greater degree, as in the ending of the game, but once I started playing I just couldn't be bothered about it anymore, the game captured me in such a way that all my worries  following the initial frustration, vanished. Since you were only spoiled in small ways, I say you don't have to worry at all given my experience.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 3, 2015 11:07 PM EST

I see, by now we're at a point where diving into anything completely blind is almost impossible, so I understand when people reach a point where they simply don't care anymore.

• 1217 posts
    December 3, 2015 11:11 PM EST
    I don't mind, as long as they're appropriately marked. But I can't stand when people just leave spoilers laying around, whether it's something I've already discovered or not. I like to experience things for myself in full, and let other people do the same.
    • 558 posts
    December 3, 2015 11:16 PM EST

I used to not care about spoilers, but it is pretty annoying now. I usually don't watch or read anything about what I don't want spoiled, except trailers. Speaking of trailers, don't watch the new Batman v Superman trailer, it spoils the plot twist as far as I can tell.

• 321 posts
    December 3, 2015 11:29 PM EST

I think there was a video where they list 10 trailers that spoiled the movie.Terminator: Salvation being one of them....

• 404 posts
    December 3, 2015 11:32 PM EST

I think I know that video, it's by Watch mojo right?

• 700 posts
    December 3, 2015 11:34 PM EST

Damn, end of the game is one hell of a spoiler to have dropped on you, sorry that happened. I'm glad it turned out okay, though. What you say actually gives me more hope in general about the quality of Fallout 4. Not that I doubted its quality, but creating a blackout of FO4 information in my personal life has left me rather neutral about the whole thing not considering my general confidence in Bethesda. Was is someone you know personally that spoiled it? Someone you can have words with?

• 627 posts
    December 4, 2015 12:00 AM EST

I've always been a little confused by people who outright refuse to experience something, be it a movie or a game that they have been told about previously. With games I can understand it better since you're interacting with it so the experience can be more personal and it can also change on subsequent playthroughs. But when it comes to movies or shows which don't change no matter how many times you watch them I can't understand it, especially if I know that the person is going to watch it multiple times since isn't that the same as being told about it before hand?

As for myself I have a fairly high tolerance for them, at times I've even gone looking for them out of curiosity. The only times that they annoy me is when they come out of nowhere, like in a status or something, if people don't have the common courtesy to realise that not everyone has experienced something and then go and tell them about it or leave it out in the open then I'll be pissed.

Basically I want the choice of whether or not to expose myself to them and will get angry if I'm not given that.

• 321 posts
    December 4, 2015 12:09 AM EST

Yup

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 4, 2015 11:00 AM EST

Unfortunately not, it was a random dude on twitter back when I was scavenging Pete Hines' twitter account for some new information and in the launch trailer's comment section.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 4, 2015 11:02 AM EST

Aye, though the warning came too late for me. I dived right into the trailer as soon as it came out. At least there's still the Khal Drogo dude somewhere in the movie...

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 5, 2015 5:04 PM EST

Yeah, but I think the reason why people are usually bothered by spoilers related to movies and stuff is because they want to preserve the "shock value" (Especially true in shows like Game of Thrones and, to a certain degree, The Walking Dead) and the sense of discovery, uncharted territory in games and books. That feeling is greatly diminished once you already know what to expect, so some people tend to get mad about that.

But I can see where you're coming from, and I agree: Choice plays a big part, and it's always better when the spoiler is properly marked and the decision to read it or not falls to you alone.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 5, 2015 5:08 PM EST

Yeah, hate when people do that.

Sorry for spoiling that character's presence in Fallout 4, I thought you had seen that pic Bryn shared.