Forums » General Gaming

Who is/are your favorite fictional Video Game characters?

• 1441 posts
    December 6, 2015 1:09 PM EST

I agree with yah on all points. Granted, the own LoK game I've played is Soul Reaver, but Kain seems pretty badass from what I know of him

• 100 posts
    December 6, 2015 1:44 PM EST
    The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3. She is the strongest female character Ive encountered in videogames. Her past is tragic, she remains super stoic and determinedly loyal to her country even if it means being branded a traitor and being wiped from the history books. She invented C.Q.C. which is a crazy gun and knife and judo combination of fighting- and I could go on and on but, she trained the original Snake, so, yeah case closed.
    • 43 posts
    December 6, 2015 4:07 PM EST

Celebrimbor from Shadow of Mordor, because of all the lore; ED-E from FNV, I like having him around; Liberty Prime, he is badass; Potema from Skyrim, don't ask; And the Harbinger from Mass Effect, because it look pretty dang awesome.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 6, 2015 11:48 PM EST

HERESY!

*foams at the mouth*

Celebrimbor. You're sick.

• 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 12:15 AM EST

Well, he did create the Rings in the actual lore, if you've read the Simalirion. But, another favorite video game character of mine is...

Captain Titus, from the second 40K game I played, Space Marine

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 7, 2015 12:20 AM EST

Are you kidding me? "If" I've read the Silmarillion?

This... This abomination isn't a reflection of Celebrimbor. It is disgusting fan fiction that plagues us all.

My nerdrage has turned my mind as black as Feanor. I shall depart to the Lore Forums, and forever remain Tom of MATTOMPHI.

• 275 posts
    December 7, 2015 12:28 AM EST
    I like Celebrimbor too. If anything, people should be nerdraging on you.
    • 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 12:47 AM EST

Let me guess, is it because he wants revenge on Sauron and managed to jack the One Ring?

• 275 posts
    December 7, 2015 12:53 AM EST
    Multiple reasons:

1. He created the rings of power.

2. What you said.

3. (Slight spoilers) He makes Talion into a kickass half human half wraith vengeance machine of decapitation.

Need I go on?
    • 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 1:09 AM EST

I was referring to Tom. Granted, Celebrimbor being a dick may have to do with who he's related to. 

• 1595 posts
    December 7, 2015 4:20 AM EST

My nerdrage has turned my mind as black as Feanor. I shall depart to the Lore Forums, and forever remain Tom of MATTOMPHI.

• 1595 posts
    December 7, 2015 4:23 AM EST

He is pretty cool but it was Templeman's delivery of the lines which grabbed me. Blood Omen was quite ahead of it's time in a way and very dialogue heavy. Good thing most of it was awesome  

• December 7, 2015 10:40 AM EST
    Hehe, asking Tom if he's read the Silmarillion. Probably our biggest Tolkien junkie.
    • 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 2:29 PM EST

Huh, I didn't know that about Tom...granted, outside of the Lore Group, this discussion, and some threads when the Moot was still around, I've rarely ¨spoken¨ to him

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 7, 2015 8:12 PM EST

I treat Tolkien's writings with the reverence most people would have for holy books. I've punched my own kin for setting one of his books on the floor. I cherish those stories like nothing else.

The movies were great (expect the Hobbit), but I hate works that take creative license with Tolkien's works. Shadows of Mordor might be a great game, but it is apocrypha.

However much I love the loose canon of Elder Scrolls, I'm the exact opposite with the Lord of the Rings.

It is the overly dense nerd bible, and I am the truest of believers.

• 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 9:09 PM EST

Really? So, any of the LOTR based games, you hate? 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 7, 2015 9:17 PM EST

I can appreciate some as the games they are. Battle for Middle Earth comes to mind. Some are better than others, by which I mean some are more true to the works.

• 1595 posts
    December 7, 2015 9:43 PM EST

but I hate works that take creative license with Tolkien's works. Shadows of Mordor might be a great game, but it is apocrypha.

I've got to disagree with this. My biggest complaint with Tolkien is that there are quotes floating around about his dislike of other's interpretations and he came across as quite precious about his work. That is totally fine, don't get me wrong, but once an intellectual property has been sold the author's decision has been made.

If you make something and then sell it to me, it is now up to me what or how I interpret my own property. Either make pains to stipulate some contractual clause or shut the fuck up about it. This was my biggest gripe with Star Wars: To have all that old stuff classed as "Legends" and non-canon is bullshit but is justifiable due to new ownership. However back in the days when GL was the owner there were times he didn't respect and hold to an author's vision - Karen Traviss and her Mandalorians for example. Fine that he didn't like it but it should be a case of tough shit. You sold out and let people work in the universe so quit whining and suck it up George.

• 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 9:52 PM EST

Or in a way, like with George R.R Martin and fanfic. Say, I actually make some of the games I want to right? Phil, if you buy a copy, you can do whatever you want with it. You can mod it in so the sun looks like a giant dick, you can write slash fanfic, you can make a spin off game if you'd like (just tell me first), and I would be fine with it.

Or look at H.P. Lovecraft, he encouraged people, if I recall, to add to the mythos. (Even if he was all kinds of racist and Anglocentric.)

• 1595 posts
    December 7, 2015 10:29 PM EST

What about George RR Martin and fanfic? I know nothing about that, please tell me more.

I think there is a difference when it comes to buying a game. Sure you can mod it to hell and back but your ownership doesn't give you rights over the IP, just over the disc you own. Yet if I bought The Elder Scrolls IP and decided to make all dark elves live underground like in Forgotten Realms then provided there is no limiting clause in my purchase I can do as I please with it. Doesn't make it right to do that morally and I could lose all TES fans, but legally I'd be just fine.

So with regards to The Hobbit, I'm perfectly fine with Tauriel as a character despite not being in Tolkien's writings. People can complain about it and are perfectly within their rights to only hold the books as canon, but it won't change the fact that Tauriel liked dwarven dick.

• 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 10:32 PM EST

He apparently does not like people doing fic of his work.

Also, when I heard Tauriel, I thought of well....Toriel, aka

GOATMOM!

• 1595 posts
    December 7, 2015 10:39 PM EST

That's disappointing to hear that. I always approve the right to interpret art and love to see it exercised. For an author surely that is the highest compliment? If I want to read Tolkien and give Aragorn a high pitched and girly voice, surely there is nothing wrong with that as an interpretation?

I'd be like, "I didn't intend that character to be like that but I like that interpretation" or "that's novel, making Aragorn sound so stupid. Not my cup of tea but it's cool you're inspired."

• 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 10:41 PM EST

Yeah, like, if I wrote a novel set in a world where German hogs led country during WW2, and Winston Churchill was a zombie, you could interpret Churchzombie as a hippy dressed in flowery underwear

• 1441 posts
    December 9, 2015 4:51 PM EST

Jolee was both awesomely badass, and quite funny at tines

• 1441 posts
    December 9, 2015 4:53 PM EST

From what I remember, the brutal training, augmentations, and war drove some of the SPARTANs insane