Forums » Fallout

What Faction Are You Most Interested in?

• 1913 posts
    December 2, 2015 6:19 PM EST

Actually, most Railroad members refuse to help earlier model synths since they are essentially robots/computers with no free will. Deacon explains "What's next? Toasters, microwaves, and computers?"

• 641 posts
    December 2, 2015 6:55 PM EST

Synths are no different from humans, a lot of them are just straight up flesh and blood human bodies with mechanical brains.

• 641 posts
    December 2, 2015 6:58 PM EST

All you have to do is talk to some characters, you don't even need to do Railroad quests to meet Glory.

• 622 posts

If synths were no different from humans, then they would be called humans. There is no point to 'freeing' a machine that usually serves the Institute willingly. Again, it would be like freeing a microwave from it's homeowner 'master'. If synths had free will an wanted to leave the Institute, they would. But they cannot, as why would the Institute program them to do so?

• 1217 posts
    Eh, flesh-like and blood-like.
    • 622 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:00 PM EST

Yes you do... She's locked in the base until otherworldly.

• 641 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:04 PM EST

Well they do get called human beacuse most people can't tell the difference. Um speak to H2, they don't serve willingly and they do leave the Institute, that's the whole point of the Railroad.  

• 641 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:07 PM EST

She's standing right there the first time you enter during the Freedom Trail.....................................................

• 622 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:09 PM EST

Yes, but that requires you to start the first Railroad quest, no?

• 1217 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:10 PM EST
    You're in character, right, Tae?
    • 622 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:10 PM EST

The Railroad thinks liberating them is best... Why? Because they disagree that machines should be free rather then be in a place where they feel welcome?

Again, it's like taking microwaves away from humans.

• 641 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:14 PM EST

What are you talking about? The syths actively try and escape and all of them so far have remarked how joyful it is to be free and actually allowed to speak. 

• 229 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:47 PM EST

Wow......

• 1595 posts
    December 2, 2015 8:29 PM EST

Investment is really easy... You just have to try. Investment can't grab you, you have to allow yourself to be invested. When you say "The story hasn't given me a reason to be interested." Sue it has, you just didn't allow it nor thought much on it.

Not entirely true, I was invested with the main story to the point I pursued it with single minded determination. Like a parent searching for a child. Who'd have thunk?

I get where both Veloth and Bryn are coming from, don't get me wrong. My point is that unlike the main story which goes to considerable lengths to try and invest the player with a motivation - and in my case succeeded - a major influence on your character's later decision when determining factions is based on their feelings toward Synths also actually requires the player to do the work for the game. It requires the player to be at a certain place and talk to certain people off their own back and with no prior motivation to do so beside curiosity.

All you have to do is talk to some characters

Unlike the main story which is a succession of natural events, the player actually has to work to get the most out of the Faction decision and Synth issue? Surely you can see my point here. The fact I was too busy pursuing the primary objective of my character's story prevented me from talking to specific people and getting valuable insight which would have later influenced a few key decisions is not the optimal way of telling a story.

So now the only faction I have really allied myself is with the BoS and I am at a point where some of this crucial context is missing. This is an example of poor implementation of an idea, no?

• 622 posts
    December 2, 2015 10:31 PM EST

No, they don't.

• 1217 posts
    December 2, 2015 10:43 PM EST
    Yeah, they do, Tae, what are you talking about?
    • 1913 posts
    December 2, 2015 10:59 PM EST

There is a video showing how Gen 3 synths are made... I'd say synths are more like clones afterwards since the stuff they are using is organic, but apparently it's fake tissue so I guess they are still synthetic

• 1441 posts
    December 2, 2015 11:01 PM EST

Close enough, reminds me of the Weyland Utani androids, except their blood presumably isn't white

• 404 posts
    December 2, 2015 11:01 PM EST

I still think the Synths are Terminators.

• 1441 posts
    December 2, 2015 11:04 PM EST

Well, the ones you fight look like the Terminator exoskeletons

• 1913 posts
    December 2, 2015 11:06 PM EST

It seems Bethesda hates making stories focusing on family seeing as in FO3 the most interesting part was looking for your father and everything after was blaaaaaaaah. I was kept entertained all the way through though, and I was with BOS until a certain mission... I gave up on them afterwards. I sided with the institute as first, and was happy... until piper talked to me and told me she was mad... at which point I reloaded a past save.

• 12 posts
    December 2, 2015 11:08 PM EST

I've played all the factions and beaten the game with them all. BoS is the most fun, Railroad has the interesting quests, and the institute seems to have the best aesthetics in my opinion.

• 1595 posts
    December 2, 2015 11:29 PM EST

What's Piper's problem anyway? When I met her she was all "oh no, Synths!" yet now we have to track down Danse she's all "don't kill the Synth."

• 1217 posts
    December 2, 2015 11:42 PM EST
    That'd be an endoskeleton.
    • 1913 posts
    December 3, 2015 12:19 AM EST

She approves of synths who wish to make their own life and be free from the institute, not those who are sent by the institute to spy and replace one of their own people