Forums » Fallout

Getting into New Vegas

• 1467 posts
    November 21, 2015 5:23 PM EST

So I've spent the last, oh I dunno week or two playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas to prepare for Fallout 4 (these are my first runs) and I enjoyed the shit out of Fallout 3, I put a little over 30 hours into the game on my first character alone, and enjoyed every minute of it. Then, I couldn't help but start New Vegas, and I just couldn't get that into it, I hit the 15 hour mark and just couldn't be stuffed playing it any more. I don't know why I'm not interested ( could be the fact that I have 16000+ caps, in 3 I don't think I ever passed 5000) I just can't get into the game, so I have a few questions I can ask.

Which Fallout Game did you enjoy more?

How do you get into Fallout ?

What do you like and dislike about Fallout New Vegas?

• 1217 posts
    November 21, 2015 6:26 PM EST
    Hahaha, where'd you get all those caps?
    • 1913 posts
    November 21, 2015 7:19 PM EST

30 hours was barely the start of my first fallout character.

• 1467 posts
    November 21, 2015 9:26 PM EST

Having 9 Strength from the start makes it easy to pick up loot. I just happened to pick up a lot of guns that would sell for 500+ and travel around selling them, that's about it really. I don't need to buy ammo ever, my Katana is still the best weapon I've found and I don't need to buy much other than Stimpacks (and the occasional Radaway).  

• 1467 posts
    November 21, 2015 9:27 PM EST

To be fair, all I've really done is Moira's Quests and the Main Quest (and visited every single Vault), I didn't go off doing much else. 

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    November 21, 2015 11:52 PM EST

I don't know if I really have a favorite between FO3 and NV (those are the only two I've played). FO3 I got after NV, and it's older, so the gameplay and mechanics aren't as good, in my opinion at least. On the other hand I feel like DC is more wastelandy than the desert. So I guess it comes down to setting over mechanics.......

I do especially like all the gun variety in NV though. I only have two of the DLC too, but I got the GOTY for FO3 and liked all of the dlcs.

One thing that I enjoyed doing in FO3 but didn't really do in NV was getting the Explorer perk where you can see every location, and then just going and checking out different places I'd never been to. It was a good way to keep my playthrough going when I ran out of quests :D

• 627 posts
    November 22, 2015 1:16 AM EST

I've had a similar experience with NV, after my first playthrough I just can't get into the game. Which might be because of being almost forced to go the same direction each time even if that isn't the reason it isn't helped by me having it on ps3 and suffering from that bug where the more it saves the slower it gets.

I might try getting it on pc to see if being free of that bug helps, but at the moment I'm stuck with it if I want to play.

• 1467 posts
    November 24, 2015 7:38 PM EST

I figured out exactly how I would get into New Vegass. Apparently, playing as a melee character was too boring for me, so I went with pretty much the same character but used Unarmed Weapons instead, I also joined the Legion instead of the NCR and had a lot more fun with them, the quest to save, and/or kill Caesar is particularly fun.

Now that I've finished a serious, melee character, I'll be running a ridiculous, explosive throwing, sneaky character, who is...well, I'll post a screenshot here later but he is not the best looking fella in the Wastes. So far Explosives are pretty fun, if a little difficult to manage in a closed room but if I can figure Stealth out I might ave more fun. 

• 113 posts
    November 27, 2015 10:41 AM EST
    Fallout 3 for tah boss- Liberty Prime

Got into fallout 3 by playing as a strict canon BoS character who uses T-51 Power armor and gatling laser. Got into fallout NV by playing as a Ultra Perceptioned Cowboy(with real iron sights it's really fun) who doesn't use VATS.

What I like about NV- Real Iron Sights,Old World Blues DLC,Followers of Apocalypse and... Goodsprings!

What I dislike about NV- Major scarcity of
    buildings,Selfish BoS :(,Kinda boring feel to it's deserts,No Enclave :( I enjoyed killing them except for the few good oil rig enclave members.