Forums » Elder Scrolls

Elder Scrolls vs Fallout: Which franchise do YOU prefer more?

• 277 posts
    November 20, 2015 2:04 PM EST

Hey guys!

Fallout 4 was released recently and a lot of you have been playing the hell out of it during the last weeks. While it might be a bit early to ask, there's no moment like the present. So, let's get down to business and ask the burning question:

Which of the two franchises, Elder Scrolls and Fallout, do you prefer more?

I prefer Elder Scrolls more. The Fallout universe is rich in detail and I can clearly see that Bethesda put a lot of effort into it. I respect them for that. That said, I'm not so attracted by the post-apocalyptic world theme. It feels too real for me and that puts me off. There's also the fact that I suck at shooters, that's why I tend to always play the Adept in Mass Effect: warp locked targets for the win! Elder Scrolls on the other hand resembles a medieval age where magic is fact and pretty much all the myths are reality. I LOVE that! I love it because I can virtually adapt any character from other fantasy universes like Warcraft or Avatar to it. 

• 1441 posts
    November 20, 2015 2:10 PM EST

I don't exactly have a preference

• 649 posts
    November 20, 2015 2:11 PM EST

Elder Scrolls. Oblivion will always by one of the games of my life. Same could be said for Skyrim. 

I played Fallout 3 two times, NV four times, but I can´t really get connected with my characters, not the same way as in TES.

• 557 posts
    November 20, 2015 2:31 PM EST

I personally prefer Fallout to TES. I love something that feels real, and Fallout does that much better than TES ever can hope to do. 

Plus, guns. 

• 48 posts
    November 20, 2015 2:47 PM EST
    I like both of them the same. Elder Scrolls is this amazing universe with different races and cultures, there is so much lore and detail and the gameplay is fun you can be a warrior, a thief, a Mage, and many more ways to play. And there is so much to do, one minute you're fighting a dragon and another you're reading a book. While fallout is a alternate America and it also has many creatures and a lot of lore. Plus it has this feeling of everyday being a fight for survival one minute you're searching through a cabinet and another you're fighting a gang of Raiders. Plus the armor and weapons looks amazing and gunplay is really fun. Plus everyone you meet in the wasteland is unique with there own looks and personality. So I like both franchises the same.
    • 288 posts
    November 20, 2015 5:45 PM EST

I don't like the word "franchise" applied to games. It creates a commercial feel and I see good games more as a labour of art and inspiration than as a market product. Of course, it's true that nowadays game creators themselves see games as a franchise to be milked rather than a series to be completed. But I'd like to see some resistance in the gamers to this.

On the other hand, true game series back in the good ole' days were usually developed by the same core team of people; that's what made them really consistent. However, the abovementioned series are not of this rule. I doubt that many if any of the original team that made ES: Arena (that basically conceived this whole universe) remained in BS for the making of Skyrim. As for Fallout, there things are a bit clearer but still one can distinguish 2 definite periods - the original Interplay/Black Isle Fallout series (1 and 2) and the Bethesda acquired series (3 and 4) with New Vegas being and odd combination of new engine/concept and old crew.

All of the above makes it hard for me to prefer one over the other as a whole.

• 179 posts
    November 20, 2015 6:10 PM EST

Of the three Elder Scrolls games I've played (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim), I only really enjoyed Skyrim. On the other hand, I enjoyed all three Fallout games that I've played so far (3, New Vegas, and 4), so it's the more enjoyable series for me..

• 1467 posts
    November 20, 2015 6:53 PM EST

I'm not really sure yet. I've only just got involved with Fallout and haven't fallen in love with it yet, 3 was definetly interesting to play, a little bland looking (OOOh, lighter shades of brown) and New Vegas I'm just really not sure on, it seems like to do many quests I have to travel around a lot more, compared to 3 where you got at least a dozen quests just in Megaton (for Moira, not even counting any quests for other people), and it just seems stock full of more Quests. But the Factions and Setting of NV are better.

Elder Scrolls on the other hand, well I liked all of them for very different reasons, and while I couldn't pick my favourite game, I can say that for now I like it better than Fallout (though the rest of New Vegas and 4 might change my mind)

• 1217 posts
    November 20, 2015 7:03 PM EST

I can just about call it even. TES I find has given me more freedom than Fallout has, but I'm much more interested in Fallout's universe.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    November 20, 2015 11:02 PM EST

Elder Scrolls.

I still a bit flustered with all this silly Fallout content plaguing the SkyrimBlog.

• 557 posts
    November 20, 2015 11:06 PM EST

You seem to have spelled "TamrielVault" wrong. 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    November 20, 2015 11:14 PM EST

Funny enough, it never changed to TamrielVault in my favorites menu.

• 411 posts
    November 20, 2015 11:19 PM EST

Whats this Skyrim Blog you speak of?

• 98 posts
    November 20, 2015 11:43 PM EST

I love the Fallout series but I would definitely have to go with TES on this one. Not only because I'm quite a sucker for medieval fantasy settings, but because I feel the TES universe is much more in-depth and interesting than Fallout's. And there is no game that I've liked and spent more time on than Skyrim. So yeah, The Elder Scrolls for me defnitely.

• November 21, 2015 2:51 AM EST

Elder Scrolls for me, I have played FO3 yes I enjoyed it, its a great game, but............... it just does not give me the same satisfaction, or enjoyment that I get from ES, I find character adaptation from any other universe is more attuned to ES, then there is the magic that is well magic, it makes you feel so powerful as compared to just holding a gun, whether you have made it yourself from scrap you have found, or bought from an arms dealer, magic isn't like that it comes from within and give you and your character something special.

• 48 posts
    November 21, 2015 2:53 AM EST
    Actually Todd I think you misspelled Wordpress blog.
    • 48 posts
    November 21, 2015 2:54 AM EST
    Not skyrim blog Wordpress blog.
    • 130 posts
    November 21, 2015 6:42 AM EST
    I do not know why I don't like Fallout, but I don't... Although I've not played much of 4.
    • 557 posts
    November 21, 2015 8:43 AM EST

You do realize we were never called "The Wordpress Blog", right? That would be like us calling ourselves "The Ning Site" now.

• 1 posts
    November 21, 2015 1:37 PM EST

I prefer Elder Scrolls over Fallout. For pretty much the same reasons as you, Noodles.

• 1595 posts
    December 2, 2015 2:20 PM EST