Forums » Elder Scrolls

Can anyone explain to me why they like Archery so much?

• November 6, 2015 10:39 AM EST

I've read hundreds of posts on the internetz where people complain most their characters end up being sneaky archers. This has never happened to me, well it sortoff does but it's Necromancy and that's more of a support skill than a Main.

So can anyone explain the fun of bows to me like I was 5? Because as much as I try I just cannot enjoy playing an archer in ES.

• 133 posts
    November 6, 2015 10:53 AM EST
    For me, there are two ways I play my archer. Sneaky, as you said, which allows me to be tricksy and clever essentially winning the battle before it has begun.

Or I go in all guns blazing with potions, poisens and anything at my disposal. This forces me to be quick and cunning.

I've not come across this kind of versatility with any other class I can think of apart from magic, however for me nothing is more satisfying than turning my enemies into human pin cushions.

With this class I can be on the front lines in the heat of an exhilarating battle or behind the scenes watching my elaborate plans unfold. Mwa hahahahahahaha!!!!

but that's just me.
    • 485 posts
    November 6, 2015 10:56 AM EST
    Some people aren't going to find archery fun no matter how it's explained to them. It's simply a matter of your personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • November 6, 2015 11:04 AM EST

Oooh I see, the poison thing actually makes perfect sense since using the arrows can have the same effects as spells like Paralyze and Frenzy while only investing in 1 perk tree... yes yes that definitely sounds fun. If I ever turn my HUD on again I'll give that a shot. It hard enough to loot items and chests without a "Press __" notification, I can't imagine how hard it'd be to gather ingredients.

• 1217 posts
    November 6, 2015 11:54 AM EST

Trick shots.

• November 6, 2015 11:58 AM EST

Of course, it was confirmed by Bethesda that the reason they added a game-breaking shout like Slow Time was so we could 360 no-scope dragons effectively. What else would you use a shout like that for?

• 1217 posts
    November 6, 2015 12:08 PM EST

What else, indeed? XD

• 773 posts
    November 6, 2015 12:13 PM EST
    Same reason that Sniper is streaking ahead in the current poll - because it's fun to pick off enemies before they even know you're even there!
    • 411 posts
    November 6, 2015 12:29 PM EST
    Bound bow + necromancy= fun!
  • Jen
    • 88 posts
    November 6, 2015 12:47 PM EST

This is true......archery, conjuration and illusion is soooo hard for me to resist in Skyrim. 

• 207 posts
    November 6, 2015 12:52 PM EST

It doesn't use magicka and and it doesn't feel as bland as melee.

• 224 posts
    November 6, 2015 1:00 PM EST

The reason why I tend to stick with Archery is because I have been doing Archery for about 13 years in real life, I do tend to play as both a sneaky archer and non sneaky archer.

• 485 posts
    November 6, 2015 1:13 PM EST
    I have a build like that somewhere.... :)
    • 288 posts
    November 6, 2015 2:58 PM EST

My characters always end up wielding a greatsword

• 1595 posts
    November 6, 2015 3:43 PM EST

I think stealth archery can be fun if your character has a genuine weakness such as 0AR or no melee capability. This would make that stealthy approach genuinely necessary and present a real risk of getting it wrong and jeopardising your character... if the AI wasn't so piss poor.

Truthfully you can breeze through the whole game by enemies off while taking advantage of the stupid AI. Why people do this is beyond me, as is why assassins are far and away the most popular character choice.

• 295 posts
    November 6, 2015 3:47 PM EST
    I love playing a heavy armored, non sneak archer. They get too close bash with the bow. :)
    • 33 posts
    November 6, 2015 5:11 PM EST

I us a Bow because getting arrows are easy it fits with my build they are better spells and I like bows also the perks.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    November 6, 2015 9:04 PM EST

The Night Reaver? That's an awesome build! 

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    November 6, 2015 9:11 PM EST

This video killed me....haha....I've never really exploited that in Skyrim, but I totally did the lap of dishonor in Uncharted 2. 

• 1467 posts
    November 6, 2015 9:16 PM EST
    Bows are pretty much the most versatile weapon in the game. With a bit of work you can have all the effects of Magic (well most of them anyway), the best range in the game and a pretty decent melee weapon if you try hard enough (that is harder than just picking up a sword).

Unlike Melee weapons it requires skill to use, you can't just button mash to kill your enemies, you need to calculate every shot. It just feels more tactical then anything else, and doesn't sacrifice power, speed or anything else to be tactical.
    • 1595 posts
    November 6, 2015 9:24 PM EST

Absolutely agree. It's another reason why it baffles me why sneak archery is so popular when you can enjoy in so many other ways.

• November 6, 2015 9:32 PM EST

Tactical? what game are you playing? You point and you shoot, that is literally it since you can poison melee weapons too. There is absolutely no skill involved in hiding behind a follower and going pew pew pew.

• 1595 posts
    November 6, 2015 9:35 PM EST

No way. Demonhunter.

• 1467 posts
    November 6, 2015 9:37 PM EST

Don't hide behind a follower then 

• November 6, 2015 9:50 PM EST

I read it and saw the video and while I do admit it looks fun it's basically a nerfed spellsword that has to run around when enemies get close. That could be an exception for sure if played faithfully but that's not the way 99% of people use archery anyways