Forums » General Gaming

'Souls' Games

• 268 posts
    November 1, 2015 7:53 AM EST

Anybody still playing the 'souls' games? This is a discussion where you can talk about any of the 'souls' games (Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, SOTFS and Bloodborne), your experiences, what you liked, didn't like, etc. I thought I'd start up some discussions within this post on different aspects of the games, get people talking, and just drum up some interest with DS3 on the horizon!

So, what better place to start than... What is your favourite 'souls' game?

• 40 posts
    November 1, 2015 2:33 PM EST

Giantdad is best dad.

• 1441 posts
    November 1, 2015 2:54 PM EST

Ornstein and Smog can go die in a fire, and so can the Shadow of Yhernam

• 1441 posts
    November 1, 2015 2:55 PM EST

Also, probably Bloodborne

• 700 posts
    November 1, 2015 7:33 PM EST

Does it count if I've played DS 1&2 but never finished either?  Because 1.  I've restarted DS 1 three or 4 times because the more I learned about the game, the more I learned about how to not suck and get powerful quickly. 

I've played DS 2 for about 4 hours. I just don't the energy anymore. I don't think I ever will! It's unfortunate, because I really want to enjoy the story, and the lore, and the atmosphere, but without the frustration. Because of that, I will not be getting DS 3.  Maybe some time in the future if I ever get the passionate itch to play. 

• 35 posts
    November 1, 2015 11:47 PM EST

Bloodborne was a master piece! The atmosphere and the bosses were amazing. Definitely one of the best games I have ever played.

Though two bosses get on my nerves every god damn time. That's the Shadows of Yharnam and Rom, The Piece of Shit Spider 

• 1441 posts
    November 2, 2015 2:39 AM EST
    Shadows of Assnam you mean.
    • 35 posts
    November 2, 2015 6:53 AM EST

Sounds about right 

• 77 posts
    November 2, 2015 9:46 AM EST

I've played DS1 and am currently playing thru DS2, and love it!  However I feel like DS2 is easier, but maybe that's due to the lessons I already learned playing the first game.  Sadly, I will not be playing Bloodborne or DS3 anytime soon since I currently cannot justify the cost of a PS4, and I still have tons of games to play on my 360.

• 268 posts
    November 2, 2015 12:02 PM EST
    Ornstein and Smough are amongst the best bosses in the entire series!
    • 268 posts
    November 2, 2015 12:03 PM EST
    I haven't played Bloodborne (been contemplating buying a PS4 just to play it and a PS3 for Demons Souls) but from what I've seen of the gameplay it looks stunning. I have heard it has a lack of replay though, since there are some useless stats and little variety in terms of weapons?
    • 1441 posts
    November 2, 2015 12:04 PM EST

i like Ornstein, but Smough rustles my jimmies! I try and get him down, then its hammer time on me Even with the mighty HavelDad setup...

• 268 posts
    November 2, 2015 12:05 PM EST
    I've been loving DS2 SOTFS. From what I've heard it's harder than the original DS2, since the enemy placements are much more thought out and a little sadistic at times (some places are just diabolical though - I'm looking at you Shrine of Amana and Iron Keep).
    • 268 posts
    November 2, 2015 12:06 PM EST
    It's a shame man, the souls games are some of the best around (second only to Elder Scrolls and Fallout for me).
    • 1441 posts
    November 2, 2015 12:40 PM EST

My strategy is to either kill the mage one first, then the one without the candle, or take out both katana wielders, and leave the mage for last, use the Tenitrus or Bolt Paper

• 1441 posts
    November 2, 2015 12:45 PM EST

Is it a bit cheap I kicked Lautrec off Firelink Shrine, and used a mix of Fall Damage and Lightning Spear to kill Havel IOr who we presume to be Havel)

• 77 posts
    November 2, 2015 1:03 PM EST

I'm still in the early areas of the game so it may just be that DS2 hasn't turned on the hurt yet.  So far I have noticed that the enemies seem more aggressive, and faster, than DS1, and there seem to be archers everywhere.  Damned hollow archers (easily the deadliest enemy in the whole game).

• 268 posts
    November 2, 2015 1:05 PM EST
    You're doing it all wrong. Smough is always first... Much more of a challenge that way, + big Ornstein drops Leo Ring.
    • 268 posts
    November 2, 2015 1:08 PM EST
    Nah, I always kick Lautrec off.
    • 77 posts
    November 2, 2015 1:11 PM EST

I never had any real trouble beating Ornstein and Smough.  Seath however is a bane to my existence, it always s takes me like two dozen attempts to beat him, I just can't get the hang of his AOE curse attack. 

A close second is the Bed of Chaos, who can go die in a fire, except I think she kinda did already.

• 77 posts
    November 2, 2015 1:14 PM EST

There's no such thing as cheap in Souls games.  There just working harder and working smarter.  You my friend are working smarter.

• 268 posts
    November 2, 2015 1:22 PM EST
    Yeah, those guys fuck you up early game. DS2 really does have a lot more ranged guys overall than DS1 (basically the only ranged threats were the Silver Knight Archers and the occasional Hollow Crossbowman in DS1).
    • 268 posts
    November 2, 2015 1:26 PM EST
    Yeah, I usually get O&S on my first try (the moment Smough's dead the fight is finished for me, I find Super Ornstein easy) but Seath gave me a lot of trouble on my Sorcerer. It's weird because on a pure melee with a decent weapon he's not too bad, but going in with magic is just suicidal. It took me many attempts to even cut the tail for the MLGS.

And I can agree with you on Bed of Chaos, that's just a joke. There was so much potential for a Witch of Izalith boss, and they wasted it on some running and jumping tutorial with bullshit arms sweeping you into holes all the time.
  • November 2, 2015 1:45 PM EST
    I find it way easier to fight Big Ornstein than Big Smough. Mainly because the latter does that buttslam every other attack.
    • 1441 posts
    November 2, 2015 3:34 PM EST

I'm trying to kill Smough first, and I want that Leo Ring and Ornstein set