Forums » Fallout

Fallout Essentials

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 30, 2015 2:37 PM EDT

Hey all,

It's been a long time since I made a thread of my own, and I apologize for that, but I've been quite busy. Thankfully I now have some free time. Anyway, onwards.

Little more than a week separates us from the biggest release of the year (not counting The Force Awakens, of course ), so to fuel up our hype train...

•  What is it that makes you like Fallout?
    •  What is it, in your opinion, that has to be in a Fallout game?
    •  Is there anything you'd like to see change?
    •  What about things you can't decide, like when there is no more musics to be used? What's your solution?

Is it because of the Vault Boy?

What is it that makes Fallout Fallout?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 30, 2015 2:49 PM EDT

So...

The Music: You can't delve into a Fallout game without a good old (literally) soundtrack. I'm particularly fond of the New Vegas one, but the merit of introducing radios in the franchise goes to Bethesda, since the first ones didn't have it, they only had a single song playing at the beginning of each game.

The Civilization: There's nothing more intriguing and inspiring than seeing humanity thriving in unforgivable conditions. That's one of the reasons why I didn't really like Fallout 3, it was so empty, so lifeless, even after two hundred years, and the little civilization that was there was inexplicable. What did they eat? I didn't spot a farm or something. Are they living with two hundred year food?

The thing is, there's nothing better during a heavy roleplay playthrough, than coming back to a "safe heaven", a place you feel secure, you feel a part of and where you are accepted. (Goodsprings!) That's one of the things that got me really hyped up for in Fallout 4. You can build that place.

The Ron Perlman: War. War never changes. (What the hell will we do once he stops doing it? Or, worse... once he leaves us?)

• 1441 posts
    October 30, 2015 2:53 PM EDT

I love the interesting alternate history they use, as for music, I'd put my own, maybe Phantom of the Opera, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, etc. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 30, 2015 2:56 PM EDT

Your own music as in, music made by you, or music made by other people that you chose to put in the game like , say, GTA for PC?

There was some Sinatra in New Vegas, and I believe Dean Martin was there too.

• 1441 posts
    October 30, 2015 3:07 PM EDT

Yeah, they were, and music by other people, I am no songwriter

• 641 posts
    November 5, 2015 3:52 PM EST

Cowboy hats! Cowboy hats are essential to my Fallout experience. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 5, 2015 5:18 PM EST

Nice pick, hats are always cool, especially Cowboy hats. I imagine poor Preston Garvey will be "decharacterized" by a lot of players.

• 641 posts
    November 5, 2015 5:56 PM EST

I've only played Fallout 3 a few times but every time Lucas Simms had to die 

• 93 posts
    November 5, 2015 6:14 PM EST

The sense of humor, to me, is one of its most defining aspects. I LOVE Elder Scrolls, but it just doesn't match FO's unique sense of humor (Nor should it! It has it's own appeal.) That's just something that really makes FO stick out to me.

• 1217 posts
    November 5, 2015 6:34 PM EST

Uh, pretty much everything you said XD

The weapon selection is also awesome, and looks to only be getting better.

• 177 posts
    November 5, 2015 6:34 PM EST

There are so many things that just make Fallout great! First off, the backstory! By this, I mean all of the bits and pieces of the Old World littered around, final notes, company intrigue, skeletons in bathtubs with toasters etc. Second, the brutality. Brutality in combat such as heads popping, arms flying off, and brutality in society like those sexist Roman wannabes  Caesar's Legion! Also the whole 1940's-1950's vibe with clothing and even armor (looking at you NCR) really sets the whole alternate history thing in stone a bit more! Also it's demented sense of humor makes the game for me sometimes...

• 404 posts
    November 5, 2015 6:43 PM EST

who knows on the Ron Perlman part.

• 87 posts
    November 5, 2015 11:27 PM EST

Do you guys remember when we all had lives and families and whatnot?

It was probably before the Great War.

• 404 posts
    November 5, 2015 11:43 PM EST
    I usually end up with what's on my playlist. Think of a bunch of Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley songs and some Queen, I do have some ACDC, one Twisted Sister song. I do have Some Fallout songs as well. So all that in one Station.