Forums » Elder Scrolls

How Far In To The Future Do You Want Elder Scrolls To Go?

• 641 posts
    October 28, 2015 5:13 PM EDT

Every Elder Scrolls so far has jumped forward in time. 5 years from Arena to Daggerfall, 22 years between Daggerfall and Morrowind, 6 years between Morrowind and Oblivion and the biggest by far is the 200 year jump from Oblivion to Skyrim. So how far forward would you like to see Elder Scrolls go? Would you like to see the world advance in technology, politics and society the farther they go?  

• 1441 posts
    October 28, 2015 5:17 PM EDT

I'd like to see a bit more integration of Dwemer technology, maybe a hybrid of magic and technology, but only have it in the palaces, and perhaps have a sort of trial-Moot where the Counts and Countesses can select the Emperor if no living heir exists

• 133 posts
    October 28, 2015 5:37 PM EDT
    Well it is called the ELDER scrolls so I'd prefer it to stay in a sort of medieval fantasy setting.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 28, 2015 5:46 PM EDT

I obviously want the world's conjuncture to change and develop, though I want it to stay in this technological stagnation with its medieval themes and setting. I feel it wouldn't work otherwise, the change in the series' atmosphere would be too drastic.

• 641 posts
    October 28, 2015 6:40 PM EDT

Well the Scrolls are old but that doesn't mean the world cant have some advancement 

• 40 posts
    October 28, 2015 6:52 PM EDT

I always thought it would be interesting to see how people view magic as technology progresses. In Tamriel's Industrial Revolution, would magic be anywhere near as important as it was during the events of Skyrim?

In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to it going on into the advent of firearms, perhaps even into their advancement into smokeless powder (with their own version of WWI), as long as it was done right (so no muzzle-loaders that take five seconds to load).

• 5 posts
    October 28, 2015 7:21 PM EDT

I was thinking of a plotline for ES6. What if ancient dwemer drills tunnel to the surface and the automatons start attacking cities/the dwemer are back. Or maybe dwemer cannons? They would have to be extremely heavy and expensive, not to mention hard to reload, but that would sort add some new depth to the game. 

• 1441 posts
    October 28, 2015 7:34 PM EDT

Perhaps, as technology rises, a sort of war or tension between Mechanists and Mages starts?

• 133 posts
    October 28, 2015 7:49 PM EDT
    Yes but when you see a game called 'the ELDER scrolls' that generally connotates to old, medieval setting. I personally don't want this particular game franchise to become that with guns technology and industriallness. Maybe with another new series that Bethesda comes up with. A new series of games that does encompass those things would be cool, but I don't want the elder scrolls to become that.

I kinda want to keep the traditional tamriel setting with swords and dragons and medieval themes and such.

I'm all for games evolving, I just feel this would be too drastic a change for the elder scrolls that we all know and love.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    October 28, 2015 9:07 PM EDT

No it doesn't. It's stating these scrolls are old. Very old. Elder.

My grandpa is elderly. He doesn't dress like freaking Henry VIII. He's just old.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    October 28, 2015 9:08 PM EDT

I have no issue with these things so long as they stay true to Elder Scrolls storytelling. I don't see Tamriel's future going in a positive direction regardless.

• 694 posts
    October 28, 2015 10:13 PM EDT

I think as long as its somewhat of a progression and the timeline doesn't leap too far forward in a single bound, then I can get behind it. What that year threshold is exactly, I'm not sure. 200 years is believable, but what about 500? 1000? I might struggle with those kinds of leaps.

• 40 posts
    October 28, 2015 11:03 PM EDT

I had a similar idea, although it was in the form of a discussion about what direction the different nations of Tamriel would take depending on which side won. I imagined that whichever side won would likely either ban the other or place strict limitations on it.

I also pondered how the dragons would fare (pretending that they aren't going to be hunted into extinction by the Dragonborn in the lore between ESV and VI) as both technology and magic evolved to close the gap between their power and the powers of mortals.

• 40 posts
    October 28, 2015 11:06 PM EDT

And there should be a reason for technology not changing much if they don't make huge leaps in that regard to match the time. The 200 year jump resulting in current Skyrim weapons/armor technology is believable (pretending that Oblivion didn't have Gothic plate armor) if we take Martin Septim as a Jesus metaphor, which would place Skyrim at 200 AD.

• 207 posts
    October 29, 2015 3:01 AM EDT

I think it should only go to a steampunk-like setting at most. But it should happen in small jumps. Maybe go to Final Fantasy IX like world, mostly medieval but with some technology, and slowly go full steampunk. But it should take its time. Though i can live nice without technological advancement in ES.

• 288 posts
    October 29, 2015 3:26 AM EDT

Far into the future! I want ES lasers and lightsabres. I want fighting on Masser and Secunda blown by a death star

• 113 posts
    October 29, 2015 3:44 AM EDT

Nooooooo not star wars!

• 24 posts
    October 29, 2015 11:39 AM EDT
    Maybe like an Elder Scrolls early renaissance type era, or maybe make a game that focuses on the Dwemer and introduces a bit more steampunk style into the Elder Scrolls (though I am a bit skeptical of this).
    • 641 posts
    October 29, 2015 11:54 AM EDT

I doubt the Dwemer will ever come back, the race was created to be mysterious and unknowable so having them return kind of renders them pointless. The only way I could see it work is if it's not the actual Dwemer but instead a massive mechanical army that had been set on a timer somewhere appears from underground.

• 641 posts
    October 29, 2015 11:56 AM EDT

Who said anything about making drastic changes?

• 641 posts
    October 29, 2015 12:17 PM EDT

In a world where people can control electricity with there minds why would they be limited to steam?

• 1441 posts
    October 29, 2015 1:19 PM EDT

Maybe have it be like the Legend of Korra?

• 50 posts
    October 29, 2015 1:42 PM EDT

My feeling is that ES6 will be set only a few years after Skyrim as I believe the plot centering around the Thalmor was not concluded and was left open for  a sequel.

As for ES7 - this may well be set centuries later and I think Bethesda would want to do something different perhaps introduce steampunk technology as others have said. I wouldn't want it to go too far though as it would loose the classic elder scrolls feel but if they introduced something to make it believable that Tamriel is evolving rather than stagnating it would make a change. I don't think guns would fit in though. 

• 133 posts
    October 29, 2015 1:54 PM EDT
    I mostly agree. There were a lot of loose ends by the end of skyrim.
    Es6 would need to tie them up before jumping forward too much.

I really LOVE melee combat in the elder scrolls so I don't want them to abandon it in favor of guns.

I don't want them to abandon magic either.
    • 1217 posts
    October 29, 2015 2:05 PM EDT

Though I'm not really fond of the jumps of centuries or millennia(especially jumps back in the case of ESO), I really don't mind if TES goes far into the future. I'd just like there to be a traceable overarching narrative. A more condensed one is probably more preferable to me, but I'd honestly be really interested to see what 9E actually looks like.