Forums » Elder Scrolls

Two Skyrim Hair Bugs - Please Help!

• 24 posts
    October 27, 2015 8:46 PM EDT

EDIT:   I was able to take a few screenshots to show what this issue looks like.  

Hey guys, how's it going?  

I just noticed something after installing mods to Skyrim for the first time ever.  Looking at the character creation menu in Alternate Start and messing around, I noticed something on the first male preset for Bosmer/Wood Elves.  

Apparently, their first preset's hairstyle (the one that looks similar to the Adoring "Annoying" Fan's) is transparent at the front center of it, letting me see the background of the holding cell.  In addition, looking around at other hairstyles for Men and Mer, some hairstyles - namely the ones that look slightly raised like Ulfric's hairstyle - have similar issues.

For this issue, i have a feeling it's not an issue of conflicting mods but instead something about the shadows - but even if this is true, or something else, I have no idea how to fix it.

In addition, I noticed Wood Elf males have a 'bald spot' on the left side of their heads for most hairstyles.  A bald sideburn to be specific.

If anyone can help me fix theses issues, I'd appreciate it.   :)

Here are some images of just what the issue looks like - and also, for reference, a reinstallation of the game did nothing, nor did cleaning the update and DLC files.  It doesn't appear to be a mod-issue as well, because even the vanilla game - none of my mods or even the HD Texture pack from Steam installed - shows issues.  

The first two were older screenshots I took before I decided to try and reinstall the game and try a vanilla game.

The other three are from a vanilla game - no mods, freshly reinstalled, and the update and DLC master files cleaned for efficiency.

• 224 posts
    October 28, 2015 12:48 AM EDT

Firs of all would be nice to know about the hair mods you have installed, you can try to go to the path:
    D:\steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\textures\Actors\character
    and there delete the files .dds what are in the "race" folders, and then return to play the game to see what happened, the files will be not deleted because they are compress in other format .bsa, so when you install a re-texture or re-meshes mod, the mod replaces the vanilla files what are in the .bsa file
    Try doing that, but If you tell me the mod would be more easily to help 

• 95 posts
    October 28, 2015 12:55 AM EDT
    I have this problem as well but don't use any hair mods or even any mods that alter character creation.
    • 224 posts
    October 28, 2015 12:58 AM EDT

Maybe is something related to your graphic card, what graphic card do you have?

• 24 posts
    October 28, 2015 12:58 AM EDT

Honestly, I don't have any Hair Mods installed - aside from Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - HD Textures.  All it does is make a change to textures of the hair but even then, without it, the issue is still there.  It sort of looks like either an issue with the 'raised' hairstyles' or a mesh issue.  Or maybe even an issue with the shadows in certain areas like the Alternate Start holding area.  Someone else on here posted a similar issue - http://tamrielvault.com/photo/bosmer-hair-glitch-need-help?xg_sourc....  Yet they never received help.  :(

Also, just saw you responded on there as well.  :P  

• 24 posts
    October 28, 2015 1:01 AM EDT

Everything else works well though.  :P   And my graphics card is Radeon R7 200 - not advanced but not terrible.  It handles Ultra setting well - and another thing.  I tested this, but hairstyles that are affected, like the Bosmer style, are perfectly fine in certain types of lighting.  For example, if outdoors during the day - it looks perfectly fine.  But enter a dimly lit area like the Alternate Start holding area and it does this:   https://i.imgur.com/NdOpNlt.jpg

• 224 posts
    October 28, 2015 1:02 AM EDT

I post there recently, you should try to some things I say there, but If nothing of that helps you I recommend to install another hair mod, that should fix the problem and If not maybe is something related to your graphic card

• 224 posts
    October 28, 2015 1:06 AM EDT

Should be an issue related to Alternate Start mod, I had some compatibility problems with that mod, I recommend you to use Random Alternate Start mod, have more places to start

• 24 posts
    October 28, 2015 1:08 AM EDT

The thing is, I honestly don't think it's related to the graphics card though.  Everything else is good and, as I mentioned, it's only in certain lit areas.  It wouldn't make sense for it to be an issue with the graphics card - so far one thing that makes sense is a shadow issue since it seems to affect those styles when there are shadows cast on the affected hairstyles, like what's shown on the imgur image link.  Otherwise areas like being outdoors shows it to look perfectly normal.

• 24 posts
    October 28, 2015 3:25 AM EDT

So, I did a test that rules out the possibility of it being a graphics card problem.  I set the game to low settings and the problem was still there.  So it's not a problem with the card.

• 30 posts
    October 28, 2015 1:21 PM EDT

For these kinds of problem try to list all mods you use along with the load orders. Or learn to use LOOT and it will identify if there's some incompatible mod (it's not that hard)

here's the link https://loot.github.io/

• 24 posts
    October 28, 2015 4:13 PM EDT

The thing is I know the load order is fine.  I ALWAYS use LOOT to set my load order.

As for the load order at the moment, here:  

Skyrim

Update

Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Dawnguard

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

HearthFires

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch

Dragonborn

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

RaceCompatibility.esm

HighRes TexturePack01

HighRes TexturePack02

HighRes TexturePack03

SkyUI

TakeNotes

LeftHandRings

LeftHandRings - Dawnguard

Clothing & Clutter Fixes

HarvestOverhaulCreatures

DeadlySpellImpacts

CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive

Undeath

HarvestOverhaul

Better Vampires

RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride

Undeath Immersive Lichdom

Civil War Overhaul

Brevi_Moonlight Tales

IllusionNoPush

Skyrim Shadow Striping Fix

CWIDawnDragonPatch

CWINPCImprovements

Open Cities Skyrim

Alternate Start - Live Another Life

• 30 posts
    October 28, 2015 6:30 PM EDT

Yeah, from where i see there isn't any problem with the load order. Although I was wondering why are you using race compatibility mod. If I'm correct it's only used for custom race. I'd say just try to use some other hair replacer and see if it works

here's one you can try

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34437/?

• 30 posts
    October 28, 2015 6:36 PM EDT

Well apparently it's a bug from skyrim that's been going on for long. I never knew because I've never played male bosmer before. Just use some other replacer or use other hairstyles.

• 24 posts
    October 29, 2015 5:04 PM EDT

I see... Well, first of all - to answer your question on race compatibility, it's required for the use of the Immersive Lichdom mod because you have to change your character to a Undead version of your chosen race for it to really work.

And I assume you're talking about the baldspot issue?  If you meant the transparent hair issue though, it unfortunately affects more than just Bosmer characters - Altmer, Dunmer, and even other hairstyles for male Men and Mer alike that are similar to it (raised/elevated styles).

• 24 posts
    November 2, 2015 3:56 AM EST

Anyone else?

• 24 posts
    November 3, 2015 7:49 PM EST

So, I edited the original post and added in screenshots of my own to better show off the issue.  Please, if anyone can offer any advice on what to do - let me know.  

I also just downloaded the Creation Kit - if it's required to fix that one specific hairstyle for the sake of possible characters, as well as NPCs with that hairstyle at least, I'll do it.

I hope these screenshots improve any accuracy.

• 24 posts
    November 6, 2015 11:45 PM EST

Anyone else?  Also, I have NifSkope and the Creation Kit.  

If there seems to be no way to fix this normally, I'm guessing I'd have to try and make the fix to either the texture or the mesh, am I right?  

Please, someone give me some advice or an easier way to fix this.  I'd appreciate it.

• 33 posts
    November 7, 2015 1:45 AM EST

I had a hair bug with my argonian his hair had disappeared and his horns as well the same thing happened with one of my wood elf's his hair was missing.

• 24 posts
    November 7, 2015 4:14 AM EST

Really?  Interesting...

Was this while wearing a headpiece of some sort, or was this just out of nowhere?