Forums » Elder Scrolls

How to cure myself of reroll-itis.

• 5 posts
    October 20, 2015 6:51 PM EDT

I love this game, but I can't get very far without starting a new character, because I get bored of playing my current. Is there a way to make myself stick to a character and just get engaged like I used too? Does anyone else have/had this problem?

• October 20, 2015 10:14 PM EDT

Commenting to check for future answers. I'd like to know this myself.

Honestly I only really get reroll-itis when I play Character Builds, but it's rarely happened as of late due to my Character Profiles. Still happens though.

• 41 posts
    October 20, 2015 10:16 PM EDT
    I often do this.
    • 700 posts
    October 20, 2015 10:19 PM EDT

Roleplay is usually what I prescribe.  Playing a character rather than playing a set of skills.  The Roleplay group has really great resources for creating your own character, staying in character, and general enhancing your gameplay.  

Personally, I find the most enjoyment with characters who I have imposed restrictions on.  Dead-Is-Dead is the extreme end of that scale, and while I have done that, I usually try to stick to things like limiting what I can carry, how much of each thing I can carry, what I can and cannot loot, what kind of people I will associate with, etc.  

Having a clear set of goals really helps too.  The more in depth the goals, the more enjoyment I get from fulfilling them.  

That's pretty much how I fixed my restart-itis.  Hope you find some help this.  

• October 20, 2015 10:22 PM EDT

This is how I got Blackblood to level 62, and it's how I'll get his restart to a good enough level as well.

First I'll train in the Way of the Voice, until I can unleash my Thu'um as well as they can. (Every 3 times I get Voice of the Sky, Ill stack an amulet of Talos on him, max 3. Once I get all 7 Black Books and kill Miraak Ill stack the 4th and final one.)

Then I will begin to attain influence through the Thieves Guild. (probably becoming a Nightingale, at least to return/keep the key. Also fences are nice.)

I will join the Volkihar Clan and overthrow Harkon and claim his castle as my own. Afterwards, I'll reattempt mixing Vampire Lord blood with Werewolf blood.

Ill become a member of the Dark Brotherhood and claim Shadowmere as my steed. Perhaps I shall also become listener...

I will obtain Hermaeus Mora's artifact, the Oghma Infinium, then kill off Miraak and obtain all 7 Black Books on Solstheim.

Finally, I shall slay Alduin and further my power and influence in Skyrim as the ultimate Dovahkiin who saved all of mortalkind.

Then the rest of the Daedric Artifacts. :P

• 41 posts
    October 20, 2015 10:27 PM EDT
    I've always struggled not fast travelling and eating. I get impatient, or I just forget xD

I've always considered playing character that can't use perks o.o
    • 113 posts
    October 21, 2015 1:57 AM EDT

I had reroll-itis for a year from march 2014 to near march 2015 then I stopped playing skyrim... this month I made a tamrielvault account just for the blogs,stories, to comment. Thought I would never play again and just make character builds or write stories..... then came the faction profiles........ This encouraged me to play skyrim again. So I suggest that if you want to cure yourself get involved in one or both of the faction profiles

• 29 posts
    November 13, 2015 4:43 PM EST

I have one character who is essentially me, a hoarder who has to complete EVERY task....then I have a couple of characters who have blinkers on and a very narrow path to follow. This means when I start the game I either do it all, or play to a specification...

I find it really helps to have 3 or 4 backup characters, with radical motivations, to inspire me.

Add in an ongoing character build or two and that's enough to flick between to stop me getting bored, and enough diversity to entertain.