Forums » The Lounge

Halloween things: help me get into it..?

• 77 posts
    October 15, 2015 11:50 AM EDT

I watch The Nightmare Before Christmas.  It's both my favorite Halloween movie and my favorite Christmas movie.

• 641 posts
    October 15, 2015 11:53 AM EDT

Well to be fair, it's pretty popular around my area of Scotland.

• 694 posts
    October 15, 2015 11:56 AM EDT

NICE. 

I'm fan of scary movies too. I have a small list of ones to catch up on this year, but I've been in such a Halloween funk that I haven't even started yet and we're already half way through October! Guess I better hop to it. What are your favorite Halloween/scary movies to watch?

• 694 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:00 PM EDT

I loooooove Nightmare.  I love a lot of Burton, actually. But the point you raise is an interesting one. I'm never quite sure when I'm supposed to watch it!  

I think I normally go with Nightmare for Halloween and Scissorhands for Christmas...?

• 694 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:03 PM EDT

It's funny that you're not really into Halloween.. and yet this totally sounds the premise of a Halloween flick to me:

let's just say that if I start ditributing candy it will probably be coated in solutions of different concentrations of toxic proteins (possibly lethal) I got from the local flora. 

Maybe you're more in the spirit of it than you think?? 

• 641 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:05 PM EDT

Is it weird to say my favourite scary movies are movies I have only watched once or twice and never watched again? The first horror movies I remember watching are Halloween and Candyman when I was around 8 or 9 (far too young ) and they scared the crap out of me and I didn't want to watch them again for a long time and then when I got older I felt like if I watched them again it might ruin them beacuse they wouldn't be as scary as I thought they were. So far that weirdly paradoxical reason they are my favourites.

By the way have you played\watched Until Dawn? 

• 585 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:23 PM EDT
    Halloween's never really been a thing around my parts. And I'm at a weird age where there's nothing to do - to old to trick or treat, to young to go clubbing. So pretty much I just play Skyrim!
    • 203 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:27 PM EDT

No, that can't be true. If I want to honor the death I'll be having a good old sacrificial barbecue (the greek way, where you eat the sacrificed meat after you grilled it) in a cemetary. I wouldn't go around poisoning kids... Even if that sounds like fun.

• 694 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:28 PM EDT

I think that makes perfect sense. I'm sort of the same way actually. I had a similar thing with The Shining. Same deal as you, watched it way too young when I spent the night at a friend's house (I was also about 8 or 9) and it terrified me. I was I think 25 before I watched it again, and it definitely did lose some of the mystique. But then again, I also felt like it was a classic that I couldn't justify not watching as an adult either.

I have yet to upgrade to the next gen console  but it's at the top of my list for when I do, which will likely happen on Cyber Monday. I've watched a few Let's Play vids on it... though not tooooo much. Don't wanna spoil anything. But it would be PERFECT to play leading up to Halloween though!!

• 649 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:31 PM EDT

That´s sick, man, you know that? 

Then why in the Oblivion I´m laughing? 

• 694 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:33 PM EDT

Haha, he totally does. I fully support this as a costume idea. 

• 203 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:40 PM EDT

What the Barbecue or the poisoning?

• 649 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:49 PM EDT

I´m doing sacrifcial BBQ every Friday, so that´s not special.

But poisoning kids sounds like fun.  Shame that we don´t have "Trick or Treat" in my country.

We actually don´t have a Halloween. We call it - sorry, but it can´t be translated precisely - Souls Day. More or less.

Sure, we have pumpkins, but they´re only for the right "atmosphere". But what we actually do is that we go to cemetery and light candles on the graves of our loved ones and people we knew. It has christian origin, but Czech people are doing that even if they don´t believe in god. That´s how we revere our dead.

Only thing I don´t understand is why so many people talk to that grave. After I lit a candle I usually go the pub and have drink for all the dead. 

• 77 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:57 PM EDT

You could split the difference and go with Thanksgiving

• 203 posts
    October 15, 2015 1:24 PM EDT

I like how you celebate "Souls day".

I may just do something similar this year, I'll just have to discover where the cemetary is where I live. As for the pubs, I've got that one covered.

• 1441 posts
    October 15, 2015 2:58 PM EDT

All Soul's Day

• 457 posts
    October 15, 2015 3:12 PM EDT

Been using the same sheet for almost that long.

Don't know where my wife got the idea, but this site is pretty instructive. The skeletons look something like this:

• October 15, 2015 4:42 PM EDT

My friends and I had a tradition where we'd get dressed up in costume, go out to eat, hit up a few spook houses,  then go home to drink and play board/video games. Haven't been able to do that as much the last few yew with new babies and conflicting work schedules though.

• 1217 posts
    October 15, 2015 5:00 PM EDT

We're just going to one of our local apartment parking lots to do it, I think; probably just 8 or 9 cars worth of people. We're not a loud bunch, so it should bother management XD

• 207 posts
    October 15, 2015 6:27 PM EDT

Sadly where I live, trick or treating or halloween in general aren't a big thing. Didn't keep me from going trick or treating a few years.

Then there was  a time I did nothing. And now I watch horror movies on halloween. It started with the old Dracula, the wolf man and the invisible man. Then I watched Halloween. This year I plan on watching friday the 13th.

• 1441 posts
    October 15, 2015 6:44 PM EDT

Giving out candy, costume up in school on Halloween. 

• 83 posts
    October 15, 2015 6:47 PM EDT

1) I usually get into the Halloween spirit by watching some classic horror movies (black and white), such as Dracula with Bela Lugosi or the original Body Snatchers.

SoulLess, stick with the classics!  Believe me, the black and white horror movies are better because they actually focus on entertaining as opposed to gore, blood, dead people, etc.

2) My plans for Halloween are to go to my sister's house and help her pass out candy (I live with my parents in a gated retirement community, so not much happens here for Halloween.)

3) I purchased a Riddler costume for ComiCon earlier this year, and had a great time wearing it!  I plan to wear it again for Halloween this year.

• 9 posts
    October 15, 2015 6:48 PM EDT

To get in the spirit maybe you could watch a few really old school horror films. Not scary ones like the shining etc. But older Gothic horror such as Vincent Price films. I find they help set the mood

• 207 posts
    October 15, 2015 6:56 PM EDT

I just watch them cause I didn't before.

• 122 posts
    October 15, 2015 7:25 PM EDT
    Halloween isn't really big in Indonesia, but i still love celebrating it in spirit. A few of my best memories were from October 31st. If I could dress as anyone, Id be Itachi Uchiha or at least a zombie ghost (So it'd be like, "You thought I was a ghost but it was actually me, a zombie!")

I really want to put in my will that my slowly rotting corpse should be used aa a Halloween prop.