Forums » Elder Scrolls

For full-time students or workers, WHEN THE HELL DO YOU PLAY!?

• October 7, 2015 6:43 PM EDT

I'm currently in College (sortoff lke Winterhold but with even less interesting people and no cats) and I recently got part time job. This means I have 8 hour  days Morndas to Thursdas (Im sure I butchered that) when I get home I have a max of 7 hours before I have to go to sleep again. 7 hours isn't nearly enough time to have a good Skyrim session! 

So how do you guys do it? Do you wait for the weekend or roleplay it like "well no way dovahkiin is crazy enough to do more than 1 dungeon per day/week"

I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing but I was used to 10-12 hour sessions when I just had 4 hours of class then went home T_T    I might as well start friggin hanging out again D:<

• 411 posts
    October 7, 2015 7:06 PM EDT

I sleep 3 hours nightly the rest of the time i play TES or zelda maybe fallout 

• 694 posts
    October 7, 2015 9:00 PM EDT

It's actually one of the more annoying things I deal with. I work at least a full 40 hours every week, and commute for about an hour every day. By the time I get home I only have a few hours before I have to turn in for the night, plus I have other responsibilities to juggle.

I fit it in where I can... but it usually results in me not gaming much during the week, then binging on the weekends when I don't have other stuff going on. I don't log many hours of sleep Friday-Sunday. It's all in good fun though. It just means I work through games a little more slowly than I'd like, and I don't think the list of games I want to play will ever get shorter... 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    October 7, 2015 9:03 PM EDT

About 9-12 hours of gaming Saturday and Sunday. But I play table-top RPGs and MtG.

• 457 posts
    October 7, 2015 9:40 PM EDT
    Half an hour Monday-Friday... between 5:30am and 6:00am.

Weekends tend be busier than weekdays; what's up with THAT!?!
    • 694 posts
    October 7, 2015 9:44 PM EDT

Half an hour?!?!?! From 5:30a-6:00a?!?! My GODS, man! How do you survive?? xD

• October 7, 2015 9:45 PM EDT

I do not play Skyrim, or any games for that matter. I am school pretty all day for two days out the week and other stuff has my time on the weekends.

• October 7, 2015 9:53 PM EDT

What the hell are you here then? o_O not being able to play but being "here" sounds like a nightmare!

And OMG ShinJin that's too sad!!! Day 1: Buy supplies in Whiterun, Day 2: Arrived at Dungeon Entrance, Day 3: Cleared Dungeon, Day 4: Decided what to drop because was over-encumbered, Day 5: Arrived in Windhelm,  Day 6: Sold loot.  

:(

• 52 posts
    October 7, 2015 10:05 PM EDT

Well, well, I thought I never see you and your vampire stories again Naeg! Welcome Back!!!

I know EXACTLY on how you feel! me being on the east coast and that storm threat was a vacation to me! ( Once I found out that it missed us by the skin of our teeth! ) I was able to have so much fun in Skyrim again, I forgot what it felt like. I have a sick family member, a music committee and a job that I used to have but still have connections do to keep track of. It ain't easy and in my opinion. You have every right to vent. Because that's what I do from time to time. I'm curious, what is your field? I hope it isn't too hard for you.

Everyone deserves a good amount of R & R to be able to recharge and do something THEY enjoy doing for a change. Can I get an AMEN from the crowd!

• 52 posts
    October 7, 2015 10:08 PM EDT

I feel for you pal. That's my time on weekdays. But instead of playing, I'm testing out peoples mods and applying improvements to. That's the closest thing I get from enjoyment playing Skyrim.

• October 7, 2015 10:12 PM EDT

Oh I'm on just on my first year so the classes are pretty basic, general subjects. My major is in Education though so next trimester I'll take concentration classes. The classes atm are easy and the homework is very very light but man.. if it wasn't for the fact that I have no classes on Friday I'd probably go insane! All my hobbies take a big chunk of hours to be enjoyed correctly! D:<   I even kinda rejected someone last week because I WILL NOT stand for anything less than 7 hours per day on doing whatever I want .-.

• 52 posts
    October 7, 2015 10:28 PM EDT

Wow education huh. Nice! I was a teacher too a long time ago. It'll start off small but it will quickly ramp up. Best of luck to you on it. I'm the same way with several of my off time activities do too, take a long time to really get into.

I hope you can somehow think of a way to manage your free time more easily without much pressure or worry because it can be a pain to get through. I remember I certainly had to for the first time getting out of Middle School ( A Complete Hell - Wasted years of my life ) to High School and than from High School ( Animal Farm ) back to working full time it was an easy transition but hard to get used to.

• 133 posts
    October 7, 2015 10:34 PM EDT

Ha! Play? Me? 

But honestly, I don't play much. I might log 4 hours max on the weekend (for the entire weekend) and that's it for the week. I would have more time, but I'm doing lacrosse basically every weekend, and that's a lot of travel, plus I have other stuff, school projects and stuff. Oh the woes of a busy gamer.

• October 7, 2015 10:48 PM EDT

Honestly, I grew tired of finding other people's content unsatisfying. I am not feeling any lost by not playing video games, and I wish I had never got involved with them looking back at how many hours I wasted in K-12.

• October 7, 2015 10:52 PM EDT

I guess I can get that? Although I'd never go as far as saying I regret it. But still if you're not into gaming anymore than why a game-based forum? o_O  

• 177 posts
    October 7, 2015 10:52 PM EDT

Well, I usually get my play time in on the weekends! During the week I have no time,but I usually give it 10-12 hours on Saturday and sometimes Friday! Responsibilities suck, I wanna' play my games! 

• 1483 posts
    October 8, 2015 12:03 AM EDT

1-2 hours per working day. I play after work. Much more play time on weekends. 

I expect these numbers to increase with Fallout 4 release... 

• October 8, 2015 2:15 AM EDT

But still if you're not into gaming anymore than why a game-based forum?

The Elder Scrolls related information yet possess some interest to me, and I might decide to finish my fan-fiction stories, which I find leagues more enjoyable (crafting them that is) than the games.

I have no desire to join, for example, Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty related forums.

• 649 posts
    October 8, 2015 5:58 AM EDT

I´m in work from 8:00 to 17:00. After that, I have all time of the world I want. So I distribute this time between watching shows like Arrow, reading books, writing, playing, feeding cat, cooking, making fun of my GF and then watching some movie with her. Sometimes I go to pub with friends. Usually end up in bed at 23:00.

So it depends on what I want to do at that moment.

• 2 posts
    October 8, 2015 9:25 AM EDT

You get 7 hours of game-play on your schedule and it's not nearly enough time?  

Damn you young whippersnappers and your fancy gameboys!  Back in my day, a 1 hour session with ET was enough to get us through the day. 

I'm kidding about the gameboy and ET line.  However I feel 7 hours is way too much for me to game.  My day has to be spent doing something productive so that I can relax, like lifting weights (5%er for life; whatever it takes; Rich Pimples is my favorite natural vegan strongman) or composing music.  At most I will put 3 hours into a video gaming session if I feel like it.

Oh and I don't play Skyrim anymore.  3000 hours on a console made Skyrim too repetitive for me to enjoy the gameplay.

• 122 posts
    October 8, 2015 10:57 AM EDT
    It's simple. I don't.
    • 77 posts
    October 8, 2015 2:32 PM EDT

About 2 hours every night after my daughter goes to sleep.  I've had to cut a lot of hobbies since I just don't have the time for them between familial and career responsibilities.  I used to be an avid MTG and 40K player but both of those hobbies require a lot of time and other people to play.  That means video games have dominated my hobby life since I can play them whenever I have a few spare hours.

But 7 hours a day, I don't think I've ever had that much free time, I am truly jealous.

• 700 posts
    October 8, 2015 6:57 PM EDT

I make sacrifices.  I usually don't pick up the controller all week, and I'm not sure if I will this weekend. Skyrim will always be there, but the opportunities to make my future will not.  Sure, I'd much rather play Skyrim than write some silly paper, and I'd much rather play Skyrim than go to work, but that doesn't last.  If I have a week off, I get anxious because I'm not doing anything.  I need to be productive.  

But I also need money, and I need grades, and I need experience, because I can't put how many hours of Skyrim I've played on a resume.  But more than that, gaming is a social thing for me.  At this point, if I can't share it with someone, then it loses some of its appeal.  Many of my friends who game, whether it be Skyrim, or GTA, or whatever, are in very similar positions.  Hectic work and/or school schedules that keeps them from the hobby they too love.  

But I think that as long as I always have someone close to share gaming with, then I'll always make time to game.  Even if it is once every two weeks, for only a few hours at a time.  It's all about the quality (though, granted, quality and quantity of gaming have a pretty strong correlation).  But at this point, any gaming time is treasured.

You should consider what you still have, rather than what you've lost.  

• 50 posts
    October 11, 2015 5:12 PM EDT

I don't play many games as I fit them in as and when I can. I've put 328 hours into Skyrim over a 3 year period and most of that was around 2 years ago when I was between jobs. I tend to play Skyrim and similar games at the weekend as you can easily spend hours engrossed in the game world leaving me too tired the following day. 

I usually play games I can have a quick blast on for an hour at most during the week such as first person shooters. Also my eyes couldn't take much more after working all day staring at a screen then staring at another screen when I got home.

• 30 posts
    October 11, 2015 8:13 PM EDT

7 hours is a lot of time to play you  know 

I remember when I used to be able to play 12 hours straight. Nowadays 1 hour is a lot of burden for my poor back (I have medical problem)