Forums » Elder Scrolls

Would you, an Empire hater, play TES VI if the protagonist was a

• 168 posts
    October 6, 2015 4:34 PM EDT

First of all, I want to be clear here this isn't a flame bait, trolling or another Stormcloak Vs Imperials debate. I just want answers for a simple question.

So I'm curious and this has been on my mind for a couple of days now, especially after I re-viewed those anti-Empire pictures posted here some weeks ago. Some people view the Empire with such hatred, it's almost astounding. So, what if... say... in TES VI they have the protagonist working directly for the Empire, or even directly under the new Emperor? Do you guys who *actually* hate the Empire just not play the game? Or maybe get half way through and quit? Would that be the moment you quit the Elder Scrolls series, even if the Empire in TES VI is completely different and does everything differently than the Mede Dynasty just because you hate "the Empire"?  Looking at the past TES games, 4 out of 5 of them involve you working directly for the Empire, without the chance of opposing them. If TES VI returns this formula, would you swallow down your hatred for the Empire and play the game?

• 48 posts
    October 6, 2015 4:56 PM EDT
    Now I don't hate the empire or the Stormcloaks but if I did i would download a alternate start mod and just do the side quests.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 6, 2015 6:56 PM EDT

Sure I would, there are always roleplaying explanations to be made. For example, in both Morrowind and Oblivion, while you are somehow working for the Empire, you can usually say that you doing service for them is a consequence, not a goal. I mean, in one of them Dagoth Ur is threatening the land and the other one there is an ongoing Daedric invasion, that is affecting everyone regardless of their personal allegiances or feelings, including the player.

• 1595 posts
    October 7, 2015 3:42 PM EDT

Surely it is ignorant and closed minded to do otherwise? IF TES VI was set in Black Marsh and I had no choice but to play as a shadow scale, I'd still play the game and probably enjoy it. I'd lose a lot of respect for those who'd  based on a preconception about a computer game.