Forums » Elder Scrolls

No One Escapes Cidhna Mine

• 649 posts
    September 27, 2015 5:30 AM EDT

I consider this quest to be one of the best and most interesting ones in Skyrim. It always brings a lot of emotions.

I´ve been playing through this quest recently with a rational and pragmatic character - yet with some code of honor - and I had some problems to stick with my roleplay. What Madanach did...killing innocent people... I killed him even when my character knew that allying himself with Madanach will give him better chance to escape.

And even while my character isn´t a murderer, he sliced Thonar´s throat. He used me! My emotions really took control of my actions even when I was trying to stay cool.

My question is: What do you do in this quest? How do you justify allying yourself with Madanach? Or letting Thonar live? Is murder of both the lesser evil for greater good? 

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    September 27, 2015 10:52 AM EDT

Heh, yeah I remember being mad at both Madanach and Thonar. I think my first time doing it I killed Madanach, and then murdered Thonar after he gave me that ring lol. I was most unhappy.

• 168 posts
    September 27, 2015 10:55 AM EDT

made a discussion about this some months ago and I always considered Madanach the lesser of 2 evils. He killed innocents people because Thonar forced him to do so. Thonar himself confessed that and I always considered the Silver-Bloods worse than the Black-Briars. Thonar pays the guards to arrest anyone who asks too many questions and his brother is a thug fond of violence and if appointed Jarl, he has a very "Jarl Skald" attitude when it comes to dealing with Forsworn. Rather than delicately dealing with the situation to avoid unnecessary death, Thongvor openly wants to violently suppress them, and force them into working the mines. I totally understand the hatred here for the Forsworn, specifically with this Capitol's history, but violent suppression seems like it would do more harm than good in the long run, and surprise surprise, they'd be working in his family's mine making them more money.

• 641 posts
    September 27, 2015 11:07 AM EDT

Madanach is killing innocent people beacuse he's being forced to by the Silver-Bloods.

• 649 posts
    September 27, 2015 11:08 AM EDT

Same thing. It doesn´t matter what kind of character I play. I always feel like that both deserve death. Though on few characters I allied with Madanach just for the sake of increasing my chances to escape the mine - at least that´s how I thought about it.

• 649 posts
    September 27, 2015 11:10 AM EDT

Thonar forced Madanach to kill innocents. That´s true. But don´t forget that he lost control over Madanach, and Madanach killed his - wife I think. And it all happened in game. 

And I really don´t want to discuss who is right and who is wrong. I´m interested to hear what people did in this quest and what was their reasoning. What their characters thought and how much they were influenced by player´s own thoughts?

• 694 posts
    September 27, 2015 12:10 PM EDT

I agree. I don't feel good about allying with one or the other... though I felt more guilt in allying with Thonar. Letting that corrupt and oppressive system remain in place leaves a bad, bad taste in my mouth. Similarly, I also think the way some NPCs in Markarth treat you if you help Madanach escape is really interesting and you really feel that stigma. Or I did anyway.

The first time I did this quest, I killed Madanach after talking to him. I just didn't trust anything he said. As much as I couldn't stand Thonar, I thought his reasons were bunk, and that there may be a potential for him to double-cross me later. (I try really hard not to "look ahead" when I play through the first time and just see how the chips fall.)

The next time through I decided to ally with him, thinking I would feel better about it. I did not. Though I will say it was both surreal and entertaining stumbling upon his hideout and having his lackeys walk around calmly, while still screaming "FOR THE REACH!" in my face. 

• 649 posts
    September 27, 2015 1:19 PM EDT

I always try to not look ahead when I play, but Tonar and Madanach. I just thought both are trying to use me (nothing new) but because of those two - and my curiosity - I ended up in that mine. 

Kill ´em all

• September 28, 2015 11:13 PM EDT

I sided with Madanach. It's easier to build a united Reach with Thonar and Betrid gone.