Forums » Elder Scrolls

What Mythology Would You Like To See In Elder Scrolls?

• 641 posts
    September 23, 2015 9:23 AM EDT

Pretty much every fantasy fiction has some inspiration from real world mythology and the Elder Scrolls universe is no different, dragons, vampires werewolves and draguer are just some of the basic examples. But is their any mythology\folklore\legends from any real world culture you would have like to have seen introduced in to one of them games or even seen in future games?

Personally I would have loved to have seen the Wendigo introduced in to Skyrim. I have always seen Solstheim as the Greenland to Skyrim's Scandinavia, and the Skaal have that nice mix of Nordic and Native American influence that Greenland does so i think it would have been the perfect place to introduce a wendigo like creature and quest. I know Solstheim already has a big connection to werewolves via Bloodmoon but I would have liked to have seen the Frostmoon stuff lifed out and put in to either the Companions or Forworn quests and instead replaced it with a Namira centric wendigo quest.

So what do you think? Any folklore would you like to see in past or future games?

• 203 posts
    September 23, 2015 11:08 AM EDT

This:

This is a Dahu, it's a mythological creature from the Alps. It is said to ressemble a mountain goat but would have two legs (the ones on the higher flank of the mountain) to be shorter than the other two.

Sure, this would just be implemented as a joke or an easter egg, but it would have been awesome to find one in Skyrim, I would have laughed my face off if they followed legend (and logic) by not allowing it to turn around or tread on flat ground, without tumbling down the mountain.

• 2 posts
    September 23, 2015 11:46 AM EDT
    Griffons. Kinda like dragons. Rare and only in few numbers. They would be the opposite to dragons though. Like they only want to live in peace but the ancient nords hunted them into extinction. Kinda like Paartheurnax.
    • 404 posts
    September 23, 2015 12:36 PM EDT
    That sounds good, Griffins are a great myth.
    • 641 posts
    September 23, 2015 12:38 PM EDT

I love Griffons and I could totally see their being super rare ones hiding around Alinor.

• 1441 posts
    September 23, 2015 1:11 PM EDT

Pegasus, more Unicorns, but also:

Aswang-Filipino vampire like ghouls, they have the ability to dislocate their joints with ease, feed on blood, and can seperate their head from their bodies, and fly around as s head.

Kyrkogrim-A Church Grim, a Scandinavian being, who is said to be the portal to the future, standing outside churches, and its heart is said to be the heart of creation itsel

• 1217 posts
    September 23, 2015 1:40 PM EDT

I'd love to see some nods to Egyption mythology. Nothing in particular, but Egyptian myth and legend is a lot of fun, and I think a lot of it would adapt well to Redguard lore and culture.

• 1441 posts
    September 23, 2015 1:49 PM EDT

Or Persian mythology

• 641 posts
    September 23, 2015 1:52 PM EDT

I agree. I think it would be a nice way to distinguish between Crowns and Forebears if one was more Egyptians and the other more Arabic.  

• 1441 posts
    September 23, 2015 1:55 PM EDT

Another one I want to see are Centaurs, or maybe Chimeras

• 404 posts
    September 23, 2015 1:59 PM EDT

let's bring back the Minotaur and Ogres and make the Minotaur act realistic.

• 411 posts
    September 23, 2015 2:01 PM EDT
    Return of the medusas!
    • 26 posts
    September 23, 2015 2:03 PM EDT

I would like to see a more adult version of Nessie at some point, perhaps a side quest of some kind. 

• 404 posts
    September 23, 2015 2:06 PM EDT

what about the creatures from the Shivering Isles DLC? especially the Flesh Atronach and the Flesh Guardian.

• 649 posts
    September 23, 2015 2:09 PM EDT

"Flesh" Atronach. Flash is from comics

Actually, I would mind seeing Hungers, Minotaurs and Ogres again.

But I would like to really see and fight the Sload. Maybe I will when TES VI: Summerset comes out

• 404 posts
    September 23, 2015 2:13 PM EDT

<--- This thing would be nice to see, it's Egyptian.

• 404 posts
    September 23, 2015 2:14 PM EDT

just Edited, thanks for the catch.

• 203 posts
    September 23, 2015 3:44 PM EDT

While this is technically TES lore I would love to see some snow whales. They are mentioned in ancient nordic litterature and are described as whales capable of swimming in mountain snow, it sounds awesome.

• 404 posts
    September 23, 2015 3:50 PM EDT
    Also in Lore are a race of snow vampires.
    • 641 posts
    September 23, 2015 4:10 PM EDT

That does sound pretty amazing 

• 203 posts
    September 23, 2015 4:13 PM EDT

Snow whales have been in Skyrim since [the return of Man], living at the tops of the highest mountains, singing in magic tones, jumping from peak to cloud and back again, spreading their joy-snow in horn-like triumph from blowholes. We used to hunt them, our best climbers braving the rocks and ice-sheets, carrying rope and hooked spears. They had much meat, these whales, and blubber, and fluids that made paint and rosewater for our women. The earliest hunters had no luck; spouts of joy-snow [from the whales above] would drift down from the clouds and turn the men goofy. They would laugh like happy babes, some getting so tickled that they’d roll back down the mountainside in big flumphs—which only begat more guffaws-- or begin to pat each other on the back or hug in the masculine style to reaffirm their affections and camaraderie; in essence, the joy-snow got in their heads and they just forgot what they were doing.

They do, don't they?

• 694 posts
    September 23, 2015 5:15 PM EDT

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I like the blend of original TES lore and established folklore as we currently understand it. I feel like if Bethesda starts adding in too much established existing folklore from other cultures it will dilute the series.

Dragons? Duh, get in here. Werewolves? Sure, you can come too. Vampires? Fine... But if Sasquatch and unicorns turn up in TES VI, I am out

• 203 posts
    September 23, 2015 5:19 PM EDT

You know uhm, how am I going to put this Edana... There already is a Unicorn in Tes lore... And then there are the Imga's of course... Large ape-ish men from Valenwood, probably somewhat similat to sasquatch... Anyhow, I hope you'll stay nonetheless

• 694 posts
    September 23, 2015 5:29 PM EDT

Sigh. Dammit Teineeva. I'm laughing actually but I'm crying on the inside. Ugh. I guess that's what I get for putting off playing Oblivion. And. Fuck. I guess I'm sticking around too. I'm in too deep at this point. 

• 203 posts
    September 23, 2015 5:30 PM EDT

Aren't we all?