Forums » Elder Scrolls

One deity only: who would you worship?

• 694 posts
    September 16, 2015 11:51 PM EDT

So Legion's WiP build about a priestess of Arkay in The Workshop has gotten me thinking... if you were living on Nirn and the existence of deities at work was proven and completely irrefutable... which aedra/daedra/higher power (if you want to be as all encompassing as possible) would you be most likely to worship and why? What is it about what that deity represents that appeals to you and your values or moral sensibilities? So assume you're you, and your values are the same as they are here on Earth. You can be or do whatever you want in Tamriel or even on Nirn (if you think profession matters in this question), but your core values are the same.

Rules: Assume for our purposes that you can only pick one. You're devoted, so this is unlike Henson's personal pantheon question from some months back; I'm going to be mean and make you choose one. If you really can't pick just one, then say one aedra and one daedra. 

PS: Let's leave IRL religion out of this discussion. I'm just asking about the TES, so let's keep it light and try to avoid drawing any parallels. Thanks y'all!

• 411 posts
    September 16, 2015 11:58 PM EDT
    Sotha sil before he dies. He is my all time favorite god that isnt daedric.
    • 95 posts
    September 17, 2015 12:34 AM EDT
    Auri-El.
    I'm an Altmer at heart.
    • 411 posts
    September 17, 2015 12:54 AM EDT
    #DremoraMasterRace
    • 1467 posts
    September 17, 2015 1:06 AM EDT

Adluin 

Ok maybe Talos...yeah Talos the one true god. 

• September 17, 2015 1:22 AM EDT

Dibella.

• 700 posts
    September 17, 2015 1:43 AM EDT

Julianos, obviously.  What other choice is there?  The god of wisdom, logic, literature, law, history, and contradiction.  What other god encourages such practical pursuits?  

"Know the truth. Observe the law. When in doubt, seek wisdom from the wise"

I think Julianos provides the most pragmatic life style.  Order and truth.  Looking at Julianos' teachings, he is the most like a philosopher, and the most like a scientist.  The other gods offer moral judgments such as, work hard, honor the earth, live soberly; but Julianos offers progress.  As a god, maybe he knows the truth, but assumes to much of us mortals.  Or, he could be giving us a task to prov ourselves.  "Know the truth" could very well be interpreted as "seek the truth". 

Don't be a dolt, be well read, stand on the shoulders of giants, and search for the truth.  Julianos knows what's up.  

• 41 posts
    September 17, 2015 2:51 AM EDT

Sheogorath all the way. Such an obvious choice for me.

• 641 posts
    September 17, 2015 3:46 AM EDT

Vivec of course. Or does he count as two? 

• 367 posts
    September 17, 2015 3:49 AM EDT

Hircine... I'm not going to mention why as everyone knows my answer to this..

Oh for Howling out loud.

Aela. Werewolves. Running around on the plains hunting deer/wolves/anyone foolhardy enough to be out there. Running around with Aela. When you die you go to the Hunting Grounds. (When Aela dies she'll meet you there). You get to bite people... You can release the primal side of yourself and feel the grass on your paws.

Nothing (Well ok a few things) beats rampaging through an old fort then standing on the ramparts with a She-Wolf by your side and howling out across the plains to your Deity praising him for his blessing on your hunt. (Blessing... Not a disease)

Everyone else just don't have the claws for it.

• 122 posts
    September 17, 2015 8:40 AM EDT

Arkay for life, pardon the pun. To worship the one who truly understand life and death, as well as one that understands mortality, is worship I can get by with no problem at all. I never liked necromancy, so I'd fit right in.

Plus, this particular priestess makes a fine case. 

• 24 posts
    September 17, 2015 8:54 AM EDT
    Akatosh, the dragon god of time

or Talos, the hero god of man
    • 98 posts
    September 17, 2015 8:58 AM EDT

Akatosh.

• 694 posts
    September 17, 2015 10:53 AM EDT

All good answers so far... but I'd like to see some more depth to some of these. Tell me more about why that's your deity of choice. I wanna know you people! 

• 694 posts
    September 17, 2015 10:57 AM EDT

Ok Heimskr. 

• 694 posts
    September 17, 2015 10:59 AM EDT

Hmm. Dibella eh? Are you an artist or... uh... other things?

• 694 posts
    September 17, 2015 11:00 AM EDT

Care to elaborate a bit? I'm gonna push you and Arturin here. Why Akatosh?

• 694 posts
    September 17, 2015 11:02 AM EDT

Not going to lie here Sotek... This doesn't surprise me.  I love your enthusiasm, consistency, and reasoning. Five stars! 

• 694 posts
    September 17, 2015 11:05 AM EDT

Don't be a dolt, be well read, stand on the shoulders of giants, and search for the truth.  Julianos knows what's up.  

I love this so much.

• 1 posts
    September 17, 2015 11:10 AM EDT

Hermaeus Mora - the ability to posses the knowledge of everything... It's well, something special.

• 1217 posts
    September 17, 2015 11:16 AM EDT
    Probably Arkay. I don't trust any of TES deities, but if Florentius speaks a word of truth, Arkay is the guy. If not, well, I guess I'll just be crazy XD
    • 66 posts
    September 17, 2015 11:30 AM EDT

Magnus.

• 24 posts
    September 17, 2015 1:34 PM EDT
    Akatosh because he is the chief aedra and the most powerful. Heck, he's a flaming Dragon.
    • 694 posts
    September 17, 2015 1:37 PM EDT

Alright I guess I'll buy that. Best to appeal to the big guns and all. 

• 177 posts
    September 17, 2015 1:37 PM EDT
    Defiantly Sheogorath! I try to live my life to fullest I can, and all that chaos and madness looks fuuuuuun!