Forums » Elder Scrolls

What are Jarl up to?

• 694 posts
    September 15, 2015 1:52 PM EDT

Tom, you do every hold and I'll make you High King of this here thread. ...DO IT. 

• 694 posts
    September 15, 2015 2:02 PM EDT

That Black Door? We have two options. Either the Dark Brotherhood works for me personally, or I have my men rip that door from its hinges and destroy them all.

I love this.   I also like the idea of expanding the port and being a rest area of sorts for seafaring vessels. Especially could be handy for the smaller ones that were ill-prepared. Good ideas here, Accursed.

• 694 posts
    September 15, 2015 2:06 PM EDT

Although many of the imperial sympathizers would be angry with me when i reinstate talos as a divine and allow his worship. 

Reinstating Talos?? In Solitude?? Gutsy dude. Not afraid to throw down the gauntlet against the Aldmeri Dominion, eh? 

• 694 posts
    September 15, 2015 2:12 PM EDT

The Pale is definitely the toughest one, but... damn dude. You really did it here. I love the idea of allying with the giants and taming mammoths. That's a really good look, in my opinion. 

• September 15, 2015 5:57 PM EDT

Not entirely. It could mean Falkreath has stonier or more acidic soil than the Rift, which are conditions wherein coniferous trees usually fair better than deciduous.

Of which I am aware. I did not want to speculate on the soil beyond leaves decomposing in it, and I would construct an argument in favor of Falkreath being warm year-round (using Sierra Nevada as a comparison) if Falkreath was not a province away from a large body of water.

Locks? I don't think Tamriel has the knowledge or skill to construct the system of locks required to connect the water ways of Skyrim.

No, just rivers that do not have imminent waterfalls and large rocks, something safe enough for small boats to travel through (perhaps sail was the wrong term). Skyrim's rivers are insane.  

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 15, 2015 6:00 PM EDT

Whiterun.

I like how the city of Whiterun looks like Edoras. I'm going to make this hold the Rohan of Skyrim. That wide open tundra basin with babbling springs, creaks, and streams is perfect for grazing her animals. Sheep, goats, cattle, horses, mammoths (see the Pale entry). Whiterun is the breadbasket for Skyrim. Agriculture and agricultural products are the most important things here.

Rorikstead needs to be under the jurisdiction of me and mine. I build a watchtower and wall across that valley leading into town. That gives me control over who enters the western border of my hold.

Forst Sunagard needs retaken, manned, and never shall it leave my power. It controls the road going into Falkreath and the Reach. At the crossroads just east of it, I put a fortified tower to guard that road into Falkreath. Whiterun serves as my fortress guarding from the Pale. Valtheim towers absolutely needs to be recaptured, garrisoned, and a wall built to close off that entire valley. No one can travel east or west across the province without giving me my due or going far out of their way north or south. The road to Labyrinthia needs a watchtower and garrison.

Riverwood needs to become a walled town or city. I need to control what enters my hold from the headwaters of the Whiteknife and the roads from Cyrodiil. It's my border town and best source of lumber.

Throughout my lands, I'll begin construction of watchtowers with an covered opening on the top. My lands are wide, flat, and largely empty. I stock guards at each with lumber and oil. Beacons of Gondor style. Fire signals to communicate across the tundra.

But most of my communication, army, and guards will be mounted. Why this isn't in Skyrim, I don't know. Messengers, patrols, hunting parties, caravan guards. I'm going to breed the best horses in the province here, and I've got the land do to it. I want a Nordic cavalry under my belt.

With the valley sitting in a basin surrounding by mountains, with rocky outliers scattered about, there's got to be plenty of ore in 'dem dere hills', I want it.

My hold is the heart of Skyrim, and every road or damn near to it passes through my domain. Trade, crops, ore, animals, furs, war. The Companions make their home in my city. I'm going to remind the other holds who the heir of Ysgramor really is.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 15, 2015 6:03 PM EDT

It's to be expected since 80% of this province is mountains. Though, as I think of it, it's a moot point. These rivers and lakes would freeze over during the winters here anyway.

Since I'm sure Skyrim's winters are longer and colder than ours, you're looking at only a few months a year where the rivers are an issue for travel. Otherwise you could walk right over them.

• 203 posts
    September 15, 2015 8:13 PM EDT

I would be Jarl of Dawnstar... Mostly because I hate the Jarl, I can't stand ignorant people.

From a strategic point of view it's quite good actually, it has a lot of terrain that covers forests, mountains, tundras, coast and a lake. This means there are a lot of ressources to claim: lumber, fish, game, and of course ore (granted the mountains are full of Vampiric, Dwemer and Nordic crap but we'll have to make do). This should definitively give us leverage in the war.

After I burned down Nightcaller's temple to inaugurate my reign. I would go see Igrod in Morthal to see if I can arrange a wedding between myself, or another member of my family and her daughter. This would tighten the bonds between our families and basicly give me control over Hjaalmarch hold. Allowing us to choke trade in the North if need be, and to control it when not. I would restore the Dawnstar port, stop the whole "mine wars" thing. I'm not sure what to do about the dark brotherhood yet, they might be useful. Oh and I would build a huge temple to Zenithar (I may call it the temple of Tsun, I'm a bit biased on that)

I wouldn't join any side in the war: if Balgruuf managed to keep them out for that long, I am pretty sure I could (especially with that idiot jarl that preceded me out of the way). If they threaten me, I'll choke Solitude and build a dam on the river Yorgrim to annoy Ulfric, get rid of his fresh water supply. Once everything is fixed and made how I want it to be, I'll start bringing the fight to both camps, First I'll take Haafingar, then Eastmarch and Winterhold. And just let the other holds flock to my cause: a proud and strong Skyrim, a skyrim built by nords for any worthy of our respect.

• 694 posts
    September 16, 2015 10:57 AM EDT

Somehow this doesn't surprise me either, Sotek. I had you pegged for Whiterun or Falkreath, but this makes more sense. I love the sound of the camping mod. You should link me. Once I get my PC up and running again I would totally do a playthrough with that.

• 694 posts
    September 16, 2015 12:54 PM EDT

Throughout my lands, I'll begin construction of watchtowers with an covered opening on the top. My lands are wide, flat, and largely empty. I stock guards at each with lumber and oil. Beacons of Gondor style. Fire signals to communicate across the tundra.

I really like this idea, and the parallel you draw with Edoras and Rohan is apt. I think I've heard that before too. 

I'm going to remind the other holds who the heir of Ysgramor really is.

Gods damn, you are formidable. 

• 694 posts
    September 16, 2015 1:02 PM EDT

If they threaten me, I'll choke Solitude and build a dam on the river Yorgrim to annoy Ulfric, get rid of his fresh water supply. 

Oh man. If you could staunch the flow of fresh water into Windhelm I feel like you could bring Ulfric to his knees. Melting snow for drinking water would get old quickly and the people would get pissy fast. 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 16, 2015 4:23 PM EDT

Since Whiterun reminds me of Rohan, I'll move to Eastmatch...

Windhelm, the City of Kings. The throne of Ysgramor, Wuflharth,  Harald, and Jorunn.

This is the Nord city. The City of Man.

Now rules High King Magnar, Heir of Ysgramor and Shalidor. Come unto his throne.

By decree of the king;

The City shall be rebuilt, so it may have the splendor of ancient days when Men ruled Tamriel.

This is the City of Man. When the men of Cyrodiil and High Rock where enslaved by Elves, this was the Imperial City. The First Imperial City. Skalds, artificers, wizards, astronomers, alchemists, smiths, cobblers, writers, dancers, warriors, folk of craft and art and skill. I welcome thee.

The Harbor is to be expanded. Longships filled with cargo, fish, whale oil, and warriors will sail across Tamriel.

The Divines are false gods. Elvish gods. Worship the gods of your forebearers; Shor, Kyne, Mara, Dibella, Tsun, Stuhn, be watchful of Herma Mora, Orkey, and Alduin.

Reclaim the mountains and the vales from beast, nature, and outlaw.

The Giants are kin from Old Atmora. Disturb them not.

Eastmarch doesn't have much going for it. Some areas for lumber and ore. Not a lot of farming. Everything is focused on the city of Windhelm itself. Access to the sea and rivers make it Skyrim's eastern port of trade. I'd really just work on expanding my fleet, war and trade. Retake the mountain forts and passes, being construction of walls to close them off. Gain control of my borders, essentially.

To be honest, I'd start taking other hold's lands more than anything. Expand west into the Pale for those pine forests. Just take Winterhold. They're on life support as it is, and I'll treat the College right and even build another college in the city.

I'd build the city further out along that shoreline to the east-northeast. It wouldn't be walled like the city proper, but I've got plans for growth.

Orc Strongholds must swear fealty. Fight for me, and I'll reward you. Pay me taxes and I'll let you live in the mountains digging for green rocks and killing my game. Otherwise you'll meet your Daedric Prince swiftly.

Dunmer? Same. Swear fealty and pay taxes. You've seen the wisdom of Lorkhan, but still worship Daedra. Better than the other elves, I suppose.

I think Windhelm needs turned from the backwater ruins Ulfric let it become into the cultural, political, and economic heart of Skyrim and humanity. Openly welcome skilled craftsmen, learned people, and artisans. Build colleges for them to study, practice, and flourish.

• 641 posts
    September 16, 2015 4:33 PM EDT

The City of Man

Pft tell that to the Yokudans 

I do like that you are reinstating the old Nordic pantheon in to all your holds tho.

• 203 posts
    September 16, 2015 5:20 PM EDT

Not only Ulfric, when I get my dock up and running I'll start turning it into a warf, building ships for my navy. As soon as Titus, or any of his goons (Tullius, Rikke, Elisif...) annoys me, I'll block any trade between the South and Solitude and place an Embargo on their port. The hold has no real ability to sustain itself on anything other than trade and fishing, both things will be rendered impossible by my general Embargo. They will collapse on their own pretty quickly. And I'll pillage the temple of the eight, destroy their catacombs (I don't understand why they didn't get rid of all those creeps, you know like the Wolf queen) and retake it for the old atmoran gods.

• September 16, 2015 8:20 PM EDT

I'll choke Solitude and build a dam on the river Yorgrim to annoy Ulfric, get rid of his fresh water supply.

Them's fighting words.