Forums » Elder Scrolls

Reintroducing Attributes to Elder Scrolls - How would you do it?

• 207 posts
    September 11, 2015 5:48 PM EDT

So I read a few times, that people wish that attributes are reintroduced into Elder Scrolls. My Idea:

You have the usual Elder Scrolls Attributes, each connected with a skill tree. Using the skill doesn't only increase only the skill, but also the governing attribute. This Attributes give general buffs, like Strength increasing damage of combat skills and carrying capacity, Speed increasing movement speed, Intelligence enhancing spell magnitude, Willpower enhancing spell duration (or vice versa) ... etc.

Perks would require both a skill and a attribute level to be chosen. You would have Perks that require the usual attribute like strength. Then you would have Perks that require another attribute. Like a Perk increasing speed of 1-Handed attacks would require Speed/Agility. Maybe even Perks that require more than one attribute.

What do you think of my idea? Do you even want attributes to come back? Honestly, i don't need them, but as I read how people wanna attributes return, i thought of how it could be incoporated to work with the Perk Trees Skyrim introduced to ES.

• 45 posts
    September 11, 2015 6:23 PM EDT

I always liked attributes for roleplaying purposes. I think I would add a rather loose attribute system that affects only starting skills rather than leveling or anything irrevocable, in order to maintain character flexibility. I  think that having an attribute system similar to Fallout, whose only relationship to skills is to increase each by 2 per attribute point, would greatly enhance character backstories and make them more believable.