Forums » Elder Scrolls

I Yield!

• 45 posts
    September 10, 2015 11:53 PM EDT
    You have just cleared a fort of ruthless bandits and are now fighting the chief when he drops to his knees, shouting "I yield! I yield!" What do you do (Let's pretend you don't know that he's just going to try to stab you in the back :P)? Do you take the high road, accepting his yield and offering a hand? Do you turn away, leaving him in shame? Do you you lock him in his own cage and leave him to rot? Do you kill him tactically, as he could always stab your back or return to banditry? Or, do you kill him with pleasure, rejoicing in the fact that you have given him his just due?
    • 411 posts
    September 11, 2015 12:25 AM EDT

I like to get out my dagger and when the enemy is almost dead i heal him and when he gets up i hit him again until i get bored

• September 11, 2015 1:29 AM EDT

Neither. I would take the fort as a morgue for those slain in the civil war and neutralise the bandits to preserve them for special experimentation... though just a little cruel than Unit 731.

• September 11, 2015 1:32 AM EDT

• 411 posts
    September 11, 2015 1:37 AM EDT
    does the experimentation involve a knife and restoration torture?
  • September 11, 2015 1:51 AM EDT

IC:

Conceivably. The mind-body connection is of great importance though I have not yet done so. I have been preoccupied with the necrotic effects of chaurus venom as of late and my spouse is prepping a bandit for blood poisoning via a spell I crafted.

• 641 posts
    September 11, 2015 3:13 AM EDT

Depending on the character I'm playing, I'll stop hitting someone who yields and let them get back to his feat before we get back at it.

• 7 posts
    September 11, 2015 5:11 AM EDT

I do that too and hope for a kill animation to end the fight clean and I also like to face the enemy while he or she is still capable.

• 51 posts
    September 11, 2015 5:23 AM EDT
    I think i will give him/her a second chance. I might ler them live for free or I will force them to be one of my companions. If we end up camping for the night, it's his/her choice if he or she will back-stab me, bandits do have a conscience of mind.
    • 288 posts
    September 11, 2015 5:35 AM EDT

That depends on what you're playing. A Paladin or other righteous type should always show mercy to his foes. A Warlord/Barbarian type should probably show none.

• 641 posts
    September 11, 2015 8:11 AM EDT

Yeah also if I'm role-playing a character that is a bit more remorseless they don't normal have time to yield 

• 367 posts
    September 11, 2015 8:54 AM EDT

I'll probably be in my werewolf form. Aela would no doubt be in her werewolf form as well.

The Bandit leader denies others mercy yet asks for it himself?

Request denied... (Enter scene of blood and guts as he's torn to shreds by two werewolves).

• 338 posts
    September 11, 2015 11:38 AM EDT

Kill the bastard.

• 1217 posts
    September 11, 2015 11:42 AM EDT

In game, I always kill them. They never actually give up, they just recover for a moment and then get up to continue the fight. I'm not going to run somewhere else on the map just to "accept" their yield. If it was a situation where they actually responded, where I could accept their surrender, then more often than not I would.

• 694 posts
    September 11, 2015 1:47 PM EDT

Always cut 'em down.

This pretty much exactly sums up where I'm at with it too, Borom. If it actually made a difference, then I'd be way more likely to let them go. It doesn't though. They all get the axe.

• 485 posts
    September 11, 2015 3:05 PM EDT
    I allow him to run only to shoot him in the back just as a sense of hope has taken hold of him.
    • 168 posts
    September 11, 2015 4:16 PM EDT

When someone yields he is trying to buy more sands for his hourglass, but I don't sell any. But if I'm in a good mood, I accept the yield just to steal his soul with Soul Tear. Mercy is for the weak.

• 641 posts
    September 11, 2015 4:20 PM EDT

Mercy is for the strong, or at least that's what Elder Scrolls lore informs us.

• 45 posts
    September 11, 2015 6:01 PM EDT
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 11, 2015 7:03 PM EDT

It depends on the character. What I would personally do? Incapacitate the bandit, I don't trust him. But if I, say, break his legs or something like that, he might come back for revenge... So there is a chance that I'd just kill him.

Of course, I would only do those things if I had seen or knew about what kind of stuff said bandit used to do. If he stole things from people, and the option to have him arrested was unavailable, I'd break his fingers. If he was a worse kind of criminal, there would be no place for mercy;

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 11, 2015 7:03 PM EDT

Nice.

• 66 posts
    September 11, 2015 7:09 PM EDT

I Prefer this one: Fight or Flight

Then I usually steal their weapon and tell them to run away. Depending on how I'm feeling, I might shoot them in the back as they flee.

• 65 posts
    September 11, 2015 7:38 PM EDT

I would give a second chance in death. What I mean is since I play a necromancer I'll kill the bandit chief then just resurrect him as my zombie slave.

• 92 posts
    September 11, 2015 11:01 PM EDT

In my first play through, I sheathed my weapon thinking that a war hammer-wielding bandit was truly yielding. What did I get in return for my graciousness? A kill cam.