Forums » Elder Scrolls

Guilds, Groups, and Factions: who's your crew?

• 694 posts
    September 9, 2015 6:18 PM EDT

So when you woke up this morning, you were surprised to find you weren't actually in your own bed. That's weird, right? Wait... where the !@#$ are you? BOOM. Tam-ri-el. (Hey, at least you didn't wind up on a cart and in chains like that other guy.)

But that's good news! You have a clean slate and a few pieces of gold in your pockets. (Thank the gods.) You can set out to do whatever it is you want. You should probably have some sort of occupation though, right..? Hey wait, I know! You should totally join a guild or faction of some kind! I mean unless you want to be farming, smithing, holed up in a dusty inn, or working at some podunk mill. (Lame.)

If you woke up in Tamriel and could join any faction/guild/group anywhere (joinable or unjoinable from any game, timeline and/or any racial requirements are irrelevant for our purposes here), which would you seek out? The catch is, it's one and done. Once you make your decision, that's it. You're in for life. So which would you choose and why? If you refuse to join anything (man, you must really, really love lumber) tell me why.

PS: I realize this almost certainly a repost of some earlier thread, but I couldn't find any super recent instances and the Classics building event got me thinking about it so... why not.

• 411 posts
    September 9, 2015 6:28 PM EDT
    I would find my way into morrowind and join great house telvanni. If they dont accept me College of Winterhold. And if they dont accept me Order Of The Black Worm.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 9, 2015 6:43 PM EDT

Either as a member of a Great House in Morrowind, preferably the Telvanni or even better, as I can choose only one: The Order in Cyrodiil, from where I'd secretly plan my rise to a position in the Imperial Council. Or maybe just staying within the Order, I wouldn't mind.

• 700 posts
    September 9, 2015 6:44 PM EDT

This is hard.  And a lot of reading!  I'm unfamiliar with so many of these and honestly, I'm seeing a lot of untouched material for builds.  But, I've decided on joining the Cursed Legion (since you didn't mention any temporal restrictions). I want to be a part of the history of the founding of Orsinium.  That sounds rather enlightening.  I'll probably change my mind later, but since you said my decision is final...here ya go.  I commit to die as one of the champions fighting for my people.  

• 641 posts
    September 9, 2015 6:51 PM EDT

I would be a member of the Whirling School

• 45 posts
    September 9, 2015 7:33 PM EDT

I dunno, being holed up in a dusty old inn with a warm fire, some books, and some ale sounds pretty good to me.  That being said, I would love to be fabulously wealthy Telvanni hermit-mage living in a bigass mushroom. If that doesn't work out, I would join the Mages' Guild during the time when it was still headed by Galerion, before it became, to quote the man himself, "nothing more than an intricate morass of political infighting." If I were to take a less upright path, I would join the Camonna Tong or, if that didn't work out as planned, the thieves guild.

• 24 posts
    September 9, 2015 7:37 PM EDT
    I would join the blades. Something about shooting down dragons annd ticking off the thalmor just makes me smile
    • 694 posts
    September 9, 2015 10:30 PM EDT

Man. Order of the Black Worm is probably the one of last ones I would want to be a part of.  Other ones are all good looks though. 

• 694 posts
    September 9, 2015 11:23 PM EDT

Edd! I'm learning so much about you! The rising through the ranks in the Imperial Council? Marrying Elisif? You seem to have a thirst for power. 

• 694 posts
    September 10, 2015 12:05 AM EDT

You are correct--I wanted it to be as all-encompassing as possible. I also didn't mean for everyone to necessarily read the whole thing, just as a quick refresher/click through whichever letter jumped out. 

That's a good choice! I like it. But if you change your mind though, I guess I'll allow it. 

• 694 posts
    September 10, 2015 12:23 AM EDT

I dunno, being holed up in a dusty old inn with a warm fire, some books, and some ale sounds pretty good to me. 

Well when you put it like that... 

• September 10, 2015 12:56 AM EDT

The Order of the Lily. It is the military arm of the House of Dibella - I like the things associated with Dibella - and I like the ways of a nightblade. It seems like a wonderful fit to me.

• 1595 posts
    September 10, 2015 9:29 AM EDT

Go Blades! I foresee we will get along just fine

• 649 posts
    September 10, 2015 9:36 AM EDT

House Hlaalu, all hands down. Let´s make some money!! Though I´m not really happy how they ended up in Fourth Era...But I would go with them anyway, make the House rise from the ashes to golden glory!

Otherwise than that. Probably Thieves Guild. Which one is hard question. People usually spits on Skyrim thieves, but I actually liked they weren´t "noble" as Cyrodiil´s thieves or Bal Molagmer. More similar to Camonna Tong. So yeah, either Skyrim Thieves Guild or Camonna Tong.

• 133 posts
    September 10, 2015 10:53 AM EDT
    When I think about it, I'd probably be a mercenary. But I'd only fight for causes I believe in.
    • 404 posts
    September 10, 2015 11:02 AM EDT
    Same here
    • 367 posts
    September 10, 2015 2:09 PM EDT

It’s a one done deal? There’s always a bed for me in Jorrvaskr. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.. Even TES 6. Whiterun’s my town. Jorrvaskr’s my home, Aela will always be my She-Wolf. And the plains makes one hell of a kill zone. (And a great place for a wolf  den).

Ok but why...

I’ve always been draw to Werewolves since Morrowind GotY came out. (Xbox, PC).

Aela. She’s in my opinion the best follower in the game. She don’t get in the way, she don’t raise undead who I promptly attack in the heat of battle. She’s a Auburn werewolf as well. With mods you both can run around in Werewolf form.

The Faction is all about werewolves. Ok Three misguided members seek out a cure. That’s no biggie, just leaves more prey out there for us.

• 338 posts
    September 10, 2015 2:13 PM EDT

I would wake up as a Dunmer, I assume. All the human races suck. 

That being said I would try to make my way to Morrowind or Solstheim, or in the worst case scenario Windhelm while I saved up money to move. 

I would be a mage if I had any magical talent at all. I would prefer to study under a Telvanni wizard, but if I had to make my way up to Winterhold to study that wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

• 338 posts
    September 10, 2015 2:23 PM EDT

Smells like wet dog in there, though.

• 367 posts
    September 10, 2015 4:02 PM EDT

I've an answer to that but I don't want  Edana to tell me off.

• 694 posts
    September 10, 2015 4:30 PM EDT

Hahaha!  I got my eye on you, Sotek... 

• 367 posts
    September 10, 2015 4:47 PM EDT

*Howls quietly to himself trying to act innocent.

• 694 posts
    September 10, 2015 4:52 PM EDT

This is an interesting answer. Why would you guys rather be a straight up mercenary instead of involved with... say, the Companions...?

• 694 posts
    September 10, 2015 5:06 PM EDT

Oh so you don't take what I said about making coin lightly at all, huh?? 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 10, 2015 7:14 PM EDT

A little, yes.

What I'm actually most interested in are the politics involved