Forums » The Lounge

Musical Russian Roulette

• 457 posts
    September 6, 2015 12:39 AM EDT

You know that one song on your music device that you like, but would never admit to it to your friends? Well, I want to turn it into a game:

While I love threads that ask about the music people listen to, I always get the feeling I'm not getting the whole story--"What's playing on your MP3 player now?" (*Whoops! Lets just forward past The Spice Girls... aaaaand... there!* "I'm listening to "Institutionalized" by Suicidal Tendencies." Yes, that will do). So here's what I want you to do:

Please... don't let it be THAT one!

1. Go to your phone, mp3 player, 8-track cassette deck, or whatever it is you use to play music.
    2. Set your device to 'Random'
    3. Hit the 'Forward' button
    4. Report: let us know what song comes up... NO MATTER WHAT that song happens to be... dig?

For additional fun, let us know why that song is (or isn't) representative of who you are. For example, I have a 1 in 42 chance of my phone playing "Islands in the Stream" by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. This is NOT an accurate portrayal of who I am. So here's why I have it:

I am sending it to my sister for her birthday this month, because a million years ago when I was but a wee lad, we were at Ramstein Air Force Base at the local food joint, and some obnoxious teenage metal-heads sat right next to our booth (even though there wasn't anyone else in the whole place), and complained about every song that came on the jukebox. If it wasn't Judas Priest, Def Leppard, or Iron Maiden, you could be certain there would be a gripe session that lasted longer than the song. Heaven forbid they should get up and actually PLAY a song they wanted to hear.

SO, just before leaving, my sister and I pooled up our remaining change and fed it into the jukebox... 5 songs worth. I think you know where this is going, but in case you don't, it ends with four whiny metal-heads listening to "Islands in the Stream" 5 times in a row. My sister is going to get an mp3 of it looped 5 times for her birthday... because I'm a jerk.

So, who's game?

This post was edited by ShinJin at September 27, 2016 4:58 PM EDT
    • 127 posts
    January 21, 2016 7:59 PM EST

Let's keep this threat alive.  With another round.

Girls just Wanna Have Fun - Miley Cyrus.  Not a good start.

Guns and Horses - 3OH!3.  Oh come on!

Lean On - The Maccabees.  That's a bit better.

Kings of Metal - Van Canto.  Good song, badass as heck, and I can always recommend Van Canto to metal fans.

Lovers on the Sun - Mallory Knox.  Great version done for the Live Lounge.

Face the Sun - James Blunt.  Good song, great vocals.

Could have gone better, but could have gone a lot worse.  The thing is, I actively like all the songs on my phone, otherwise they wouldn't be there.  Except for 3OH!3, who have the most frustrating group name to try and type quickly.

• 457 posts
    January 21, 2016 11:56 PM EST

Not bad, sir ;D

• 457 posts
    January 22, 2016 12:01 AM EST

Alrighty then...

"For the Love of Spanish Mary" by The New Basement Tapes. Another departure for me, but I like what's going on in that song.

• 1441 posts
    January 22, 2016 12:03 AM EST

This FABULOUS anime intro

• 457 posts
    January 22, 2016 10:14 AM EST

I don't know if I'm supposed to, but I think that intro is hilarious... that horn section and whaaacka-chicka rhythm guitar in the background... last thing I expect from an anime title track, but pretty cool xD

• 457 posts
    January 22, 2016 10:18 AM EST

So it's been a night. I'll try another...

"Night and Day" by Al B. Sure X(

I, uh... omigosh... what's that behind you!?! *runs away as you turn around to look*

• 394 posts
    January 23, 2016 12:28 PM EST

Ooh! I have as good 'un today: 

Elbow: Lippy Kids :)

• 457 posts
    January 23, 2016 3:32 PM EST

That IS nice! (And taping down the keyboard key was kind of a cool touch ;D)

I love live studio recordings... in fact I just finished listening to this:

Wish I would have pulled that one out of the hat yesterday instead of what I got (I came really close to pretending I never played).

• 277 posts
    January 23, 2016 3:53 PM EST

This looks interesting. I'm game! 

Let's see... Weird Al Yankovic - Hardware Store. Haha, funny song.

• 215 posts
    January 23, 2016 4:28 PM EST

Dancing Queen by ABBA.  About the only disco I could stomach, didn't really consider it disco.  Kind of like that sorbet the rich folks use to "cleanse their pallet" between meal courses.  (Saw that in a movie once..lol).  And the girls in the band weren't bad looking when I was 8 years old.

• 457 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:01 AM EST

It's strange... I love Weird Al, but I don't have any of his stuff anymore (I do, however, watch it on Youtube fairly regularly ;D).

• 457 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:05 AM EST

I've got Gimme Gimme Gimme buried away somewhere on my old mp3 player xD ;D

• 457 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:09 AM EST

Fingers crossed...

"Lampshades on Fire" by Modest Mouse. It's aight.

• 394 posts
    January 26, 2016 3:47 AM EST

Nice!

• 394 posts
    January 26, 2016 3:49 AM EST

I have to admit that amidst all the rock, & despite hating disco when I was younger, that I've always been an ABBA fan :) 

• 394 posts
    January 26, 2016 7:45 AM EST

Robert Johnson - Ramblin' On My Mind: vintage blues.

• 1441 posts
    January 26, 2016 12:51 PM EST

Ok, next up, the intro to the weird/awersome anime, Black Rock Shooter, as well as Bobobo-bobobo

WARNING: Do not watch these animes while high or drunk

• 1441 posts
    January 26, 2016 12:52 PM EST

• 457 posts
    January 27, 2016 1:37 AM EST

I bought a 2 cd collection of Johnson years ago... I really liked what I heard. Every time I see Tommy from O Brother, Where Art Thou, I think of Robert Johnson :D

• 457 posts
    January 27, 2016 1:38 AM EST

Man, I keep trying to get deeper into anime, but it keeps scaring me out of it xD

• 457 posts
    January 27, 2016 1:43 AM EST

Okay, no whammy...

"A Strange Kind of Love" by Peter Murphy. Now that's a stroll down memory lane :D

• 1441 posts
    January 27, 2016 1:44 AM EST

Then watch JoJo or One Punch Man for slightly more sane anime. Also, the dub of season 2 has Steve Blum voicing a villain

• 1441 posts
    January 27, 2016 1:51 AM EST

This awesomely animated short

• 321 posts
    January 27, 2016 1:55 AM EST

Oh god, this anime.  It's so crazy that it almost lacks any plot. Although it is entertaining until you get bored since it takes 2-3 episodes until you get a fight scene and even then it gets more ridiculous.

Don't know why they even aired this in my local broadcast.