Forums » General Gaming

A Character Build Contest Of A Different Persuasion

• 52 posts
    September 5, 2015 9:41 AM EDT

With these awesome CB contests lately, It has really excited several of members on here adding much more life, action and creativity that I find very exciting and thankful to read and watch in action. Checking on here more oftenly basis has never been so anticipating for me. It has enhanced my work on my own improvement project considerably and I just want to let out a bow to those who came up with the idea as well as those participating in it. I figured with a new month starting, the middle of ( I think to be ) the most block busting event on this site. I start off with my very first discussion with a BANG!

Now on to the real business!

Reading through several of creative builds in this contest unfolding, I see that alot of builders radiate a particular theme from several of genres  that could be hosted on another contest. Now take in mind that this is an thought not a request.

Imagine creating a build for any game based on a more fixed theme People can build their character based say. . . A historical event, a favorite character of sorts having the most of a certain quality in contests like these.Those who builds who meet these Specifically fixed qualities wins.

Now I'm not sure if this topic was shared sometime in the past but out of curiosity, and for those interested, what are your thoughts about the idea of having a CB contest on special times of the year meeting a very fixed set of requirements based on a particular genre?

• 1467 posts
    September 5, 2015 10:05 AM EDT

For any game... That'd be a General Build Gaming Contest or Event. Unless I read it wrong and you're saying to build a Skyrim Character based off of any game but also with a more restricted theme.

While the idea itself is fairly nice (I'd love to be able to run Contests for the GBG) it's just unrealistic. Consider that Skyrim Character Building Events being monthly (or regularly at all) are a semi-new thing. Previous Contests didn't really hit it off as well as the current ones, this was after Skyrim CB being built up after a long time as well.

Other smaller groups haven't been able to run Contests/Events as efficiently, well that's incorrect. Turn-out for other Events/Contests simply haven't been enough. Classics generally only has 1 build come out of it (By one of the Hosts as well), the Art Bonanza (An Art Group Contest) didn't get more than, what 10 different people entering it... Skyrim Character Building seems to be the only group that can successfully run Events or Contests.

• 52 posts
    September 5, 2015 10:34 PM EDT

So, in order to have contests like these, you have to have high turnout from those groups who have a strong following and get enough people on the site to take part of it. Otherwise, all will be for nothing. I can see Skyrim Character Building group being the easiest to work with, it has if not strongest following, one of the strongest following groups on the site, presently. I'm starting to see how these work now. Being new to this site and all, I had no idea. Well, I hope that maybe this idea could work in the future someday, with enough turnout to go all the way.

Thanks for the time and clarification.

• 1441 posts
    September 5, 2015 10:58 PM EDT
    Also, taking inspiration from other media is what Crossworlds was about, and it may be an annual Event
    • 485 posts
    September 5, 2015 11:00 PM EDT

The Art Bonanza was quite successful actually. We had 12 contestants if I remember correctly which is 12 more than the previous art event. 

• 627 posts
    September 5, 2015 11:04 PM EDT

If I remember correctly it was about 6-7 contestants, with about 12 entries between them. Which as you said is more than the previous event 

• 1467 posts
    September 5, 2015 11:20 PM EDT
    I meant in comparison to the Skyrim CB Events...I know that at least 3 people had 2 entries each so it was less than 10.
    • 52 posts
    September 6, 2015 1:44 PM EDT

As creative as so many members on here are, Why were the number of entries so low in these events?

Another question is I'm curious about is - When were these events held? Maybe in the future considering how numbers are gradually increasing for all the groups at the moment, hosting contests may have a higher turnout. Its a thought.

• 485 posts
    September 6, 2015 1:48 PM EDT

Consider the size of the groups. The Skyrim Cb group has thousands of members compared to the few hundred these other groups have. 

• 52 posts
    September 6, 2015 2:05 PM EDT

Indeed. I think its the largest group on here so far. Still though I think we should host special events like this for the other groups too more frequently if only slightly. It may make the others feel left out. In a way, this is just my opinion. 

• 1467 posts
    September 6, 2015 5:29 PM EDT

Classics has events every month or two. The Art Group is the other one I mentioned and it is less consistent (I'm looking at you Golden/Alice >.>)

Personally I haven't run an Event for the General Build Gaming because I've been trying to come up with a good, broad but focused theme. It's pretty difficult to come up with a theme for thousands of games.

• 627 posts
    September 6, 2015 5:42 PM EDT

You try planning around the giant that is the CB group, it's hard

• 1467 posts
    September 6, 2015 5:45 PM EDT

Did you try talking with them about it :P

Perhaps we could organise a non-Skyrim CB Event month or something

• 627 posts
    September 6, 2015 5:56 PM EDT

Shh, Dragonborn stop giving the obvious solutions

• 1467 posts
    September 6, 2015 5:57 PM EDT

Never. I am a magic dragon with the ability to point out the obvious 

• 52 posts
    September 7, 2015 9:20 AM EDT

As much as much as I've seen your efforts here DB, I'm sure you'll think of something soon. I honestly haven't explored that group before but if I do, I might can come up with a few potential ideas to help out. . . If its alright of course.

• 52 posts
    September 7, 2015 9:22 AM EDT

A non Skyrim CB Event, that could be interesting.