Forums » Elder Scrolls

Where would you live in Skyrim?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 4, 2015 1:57 PM EDT

Hey all

This is a simple one. We all know Skyrim is a beautiful place: from the mountainous landscapes in the Reach to the cold shores of the Sea of Ghosts, there is no shortage of places where one could live. Considering this...

Where would you live in Skyrim?

•       You don't have to restrict yourself to the available houses in-game. Want to live in a giant's camp? Go for it! (Just remember to give us a good reason)
    •       Tell us why you have chosen that place, why is it appealing to you?
    •       You don't need to, but if you can, consider security, supplies, proximity to cities, etc.
    •       If you can, post a picture of the city/house/location.

• 649 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:06 PM EDT

Falkreath. In some cottege probably. I really like those forests and butterflies there, find it somewhat peaceful. Could probably live just by hunting and gathering herbs, maybe venturing to the town to trade furs and potions for some supplies if there was tough winter.

If I wanted to live in a city...Hmm, Riften. I am for some reason attracted to cities where crime is really profitable.

• 1483 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:08 PM EDT

Drelas's cottage. Not too warm and not too cold, not so far from Whiterun, a little far from the main road, alchemy table, arcane enchanter. Nice view too. 

• 694 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:16 PM EDT

I'm with Karver. Likely Falkreath, hopefully somewhere near the Lake Ilinalta. Maybe by Half-Moon Mill. I grew up someplace sort of quiet and wooded like that, so it would probably be my first pick. If I were picking a bigger city, then Solitude. I like living by the water and I live in a large city now (also by the water), so I can appreciate the two opposite ends of the spectrum, and would probably prefer to avoid the middle part of it.

...I would never want live in swampy Morthal.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:19 PM EDT

I'm a city guy, though I can appreciate the "Wilds" if everything that I need is available.

But if I could choose a place to live in Skyrim, it would definitely be Solitude. It's a good location with a good climate, security, lots of movement and people from different places, lots of (and a constant supply of) things to buy and the houses there are all good, with a beautiful architecture and pretty comfortable.

As for a specific house, if the option to build my own house (respecting the city's layout) wasn't available, I'd pick Proudspire Manor or the Blue Palace (If I married Elisif, of course).

• 649 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:20 PM EDT

If I was a necromancer, I would definitely live in Morthal. You never know what (and who) the swamps already taken. If it was a real swamp, good necromancer could probably build an army there 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:25 PM EDT

Riften is appealing, but I can't help thinking it smells terrible with all that water and stuff. (btw, you would love Brasilia!)

• 694 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:29 PM EDT

Ha! Which is exactly why I wouldn't want to live in  Morthal. The creep factor is already off the charts even without a Necromancer's army! 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:29 PM EDT

It's a good location, and the house seems to be very cozy. Plus that alchemy table would keep you entertained.

• 649 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:30 PM EDT

I can imagine that smell. But it might sound strange, I don´t mind it. As much as I hate fish, I was never bothered by the smell.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:40 PM EDT

All you nature folks. Not that I don't like it, if you take out most of the flying insects factor (and arachnids) and Spring allergies I'm all in for living in the woods. (As long as there's either some technology and people or just some friends around).

Falkreath has some of the best views in the game, though it's almost always so dark. Morthal... Well, too many spiders.

• 700 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:40 PM EDT
    Half-Moon Mill is a good spot. Anywhere in Falkreath, really. Maybe Cliffside retreat in The Reach. Oh! And Fallen Tree Bridge.
    • 694 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:41 PM EDT

I'd pick Proudspire Manor or the Blue Palace (If I married Elisif, of course).

Such lofty goals, Edd! 

• 133 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:46 PM EDT
    Bloated mans grotto. I'd live of the land eating deer meat and fruits, warm myself up in front of a fire wrapped in the pelt of a sabercat. It's also reasonably close to some caves with I could sneak into, sell the loot in whiterun and buy more supplies.

I suppose I'd be a ranger/hunter type person. Sounds like the life for me.
    • 694 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:47 PM EDT

Insects don't really bother me too much. In fact, they bother me less than a lot of people do. (That makes me sound quite hermit-y indeed.) City living can be quite draining though. 

• 700 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:48 PM EDT
    Oooohhh, that's a good one.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 4, 2015 2:49 PM EDT

Well, if the opportunity was given, I'd be sure to pick the best . Though I admit I don't like the idea of getting all of the best without doing any kind of work.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 4, 2015 3:00 PM EDT

Indeed it can, but nothing a vacation somewhere with a beach won't solve. (As long as it's not filled with people, which can be quite hard nowadays).

I like the countryside better than the actual woods, but I guess it depends on the "woods".

• 1217 posts
    September 4, 2015 3:00 PM EDT
    I'd live in Markarth. I love the aesthetic of the stone city, and the surrounding area. Plus I'd love researching the Dwemer.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 4, 2015 3:16 PM EDT

Markarth is astounding, and the opportunities for studies range from the Dwemer to being a good location when it comes to providing the means for alchemy and smithing. But I wouldn't feel safe there with all the Forsworn.

• 17 posts
    September 4, 2015 3:17 PM EDT

Good ole Pinewatch here

after its been cleared of bandits of coarse. Its nice and big and I can hide in the sanctuary and live in the house. I could even fake my death if I needed to and just hide in the sanctuary. I would probably also have small staircase leading up from the wilderness.

• 1217 posts
    September 4, 2015 3:21 PM EDT
    Indeed, the risk is ever present.
    • 288 posts
    September 4, 2015 3:23 PM EDT

I'd live in the Cloud District. Because one does not get to the Cloud District very often, no, sir

• 133 posts
    September 4, 2015 3:27 PM EDT
    Also you have the gasses escaping from the mine fouling up the air.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 4, 2015 3:38 PM EDT

Isn't there a passage leading to the surface there already?