Forums » Fallout

Weapon Crafting in Fallout 4: What are you picturing?

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:03 PM EDT

Hey everyone! So in the interest of making real discussion easier, and asking direct questions, I'm putting this video in the forum, hopefully making for conversation that flows a bit better!

So to the subject at hand! By now we've all seen the gameplay or screenshots showcasing Fallout 4's weapon crafting, and in my video I try to highlight some of the items that might have flown under the radar for some people. This new system has insane potential, and I can't wait to dig into it! But I want to reiterate my questions from the video to you all here in the Vault:

• What can you see yourself doing with this system?
    • Is there anything you noticed from the footage, or have come across, that you think people might have missed?
    • What kinds of combinations and mods are you hoping are available to you?

Let's hear it!

• 404 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:08 PM EDT

a revolving Sniper rifle sounds cool,and I also want a trench gun styled Shotgun.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:12 PM EDT

What I can see myself doing, and by now probably everyone around here knows, is making Negan's Lucille from TWD. 

Anyway, from what I saw, everything I could possibly want is in the system. We can get really creative with those melee weapons, and that's great for those characters of ours who tend to have a more exotic taste...

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:15 PM EDT

What sets apart a trench gun, Mathias? Besides being pump action, I mean?

• 1441 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:16 PM EDT

Makeshift crossbows, makeshift rifles, making a repeating sniper riple, axe that sets people on fire, rapid fire laser shotgun, maybe a shotgun that shoots flaming rounds!

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:17 PM EDT

And the icing on the cake, you can name that bat Lucille, too :D I'm interested to see what effect the different bat materials have on the weapon. I almost never pick up melee weapons, but FO4 looks like it's going to change my mind.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:19 PM EDT

Oh, I really hope bows/crossbows make it into the game. So much potential there, and plenty of other recent games to draw inspiration from.

• 404 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:21 PM EDT

the WWI/II version had a hook for the Bayonet attachment.

• 404 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:22 PM EDT

we might have a new styled of the Shishkebab if we are lucky.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:26 PM EDT

Oh yeah, Shishkebab is a must!

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:27 PM EDT

Ah! Then I bet you were happy to see how many weapons in the footage were sporting bayonets!

• 404 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:28 PM EDT

yeah, my inner Kroot is calling for Bayonetted weapons.

• 739 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:35 PM EDT

Some people hate builds that are created specifically for using an individual weapon, for me though it's heaven...

When I can start a playthrough with a fresh character and know that I'm going to optimize my entire build to push a single weapons limits as a high as they can possibly go I get shivers.

Looking at what they have done for weapon customizing in Fallout 4 I can see myself spending hours obsessing over each component, measuring how it's going to perform with my stats, looking at what perks would compliment it best, deciding if the weapon suits my characters theme...

It's going to be ace!

• 404 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:35 PM EDT

agreed.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:40 PM EDT

I know what you mean! There's was a bit of that in Skyrim, but after a certain point, the weapons really only differed by appearance. But now? You could make character after character aimed at a different weapon dozens of times and still be playing something completely different.

• 1441 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:43 PM EDT

Like, one idea I have is a Civil War soldier frozen in time, and was awoken in Post-War America, using a makeshift repeater.rifle.

• 404 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:46 PM EDT

I could see that, if he is a confederate soldier and is surprised that a Patriot is African American

• 739 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:47 PM EDT

They also have that really neat 'quest' mechanic linked to the crafting system...

You can select a component (eg Toy Car) and the game will give you a marker for where one can be located based on where you've been in the past.....I think that's how it works anyway....

...perhaps it adds a marker when you enter a cell where one can be picked up.

Either way I've read (Pete Hines) that once you select your weapon you can spend hours systematically upgrading it into its 'ultimate form'. That's just awesome...I can't wait to get foraging. 

• 490 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:50 PM EDT
    I am totally on board for the crazy amounts of mods we can seemingly have but I know I will probably have my loadout with some simpler weapons just for aesthetics and realism.

I do, however, really want the classic design of the FO3 combat shotgun to be incorporated in some way. The drum magazine for a shotgun is too cool and one I will surely be using if available. The riot shotgun in New Vegas is one of my favorite weapons albeit a tad overkill at times. I am tempted to go a bit extra and attach a bayonet, which seems to be attachable to rocket launchers and the fat man, on my shotgun for close quarters emergencies.

I am also probably going to have some sort of high powered revolver side arm as I usually do. Not really sure how mods will work out with this one as I probably don't want to turn all my pistols into rifles and such. Maybe a reinforced frame for better pistol whipping?

I already have my hopes up for ammo crafting Borom. I absolutely loved the varieties in NV and FO4 having ammo crafting and various subtypes would be amazing.
    • 773 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:50 PM EDT
    You talked in the video about how we might 'unlock' the various mods and customisations.

I concur with you that something similar to the Skyrim Enchanting system seems likely, whereby we'll break down things to learn about them. With so many combinations and crafting elements it seems unfeasible that everything will need schematics. We'd spend forever looking for schematics! That said I hope there'll be a few special items that can ONLY be made from a schematic - it will some variety.

I'm also anticipating that perks will unlock crafting ability.

All in all it sounds absolutely fantastic
    • 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:56 PM EDT

Yes! As I recall, you can choose a whole mod (like the scope they showed), and then components that can make it will be "highlighted" somehow in the game world.

• 739 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:58 PM EDT

Well, with Skyrim you can build around unique items (Windshear/Dawnbreaker/Longhammer) to create a character that feels more original...

We used to get morons hating at builds like this but I personally love feeling properly 'attached' to my chosen weapon, it's like it becomes an extension of myself...or my characters 'self' anyway.

Touches like that really complete the package for me. It's why I love enchanting so much in Skyrim, the resulting weapon (after Extra Effect) is often very personal. Then you have the perks that are complimenting the weapon even further...it's just ace.

Yeah, like you say, we can hopefully do that with alot more of the weapons in Fallout 4. Makes me wonder what the unique items are going to look like...

I wonder if there's unique components as well?? Like perhaps there's just one amazing scope that can be found in the game, once you bind it to a weapon it can't be added to another....forcing you to commit the upgrade to your favorite mutie-killer...

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 6:59 PM EDT

I really hope ammo crafting comes back, to. I didn't do a lot of the crafting itself, but I loved switching between HP and AP ammo as the situation dictated. Also, I dig the shotty-sniper combo!

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:00 PM EDT

Seconded. Some scattered schematics for special mods or weapons (like the Shishkebab and parts for it) would be very appropriate and fun to hunt for.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:02 PM EDT

I can relate on that personal touch you get from enchanting your own gear. I'm so pleased to be able to name weapons now; it'll add that much more character and attachment.

Maybe some of the boss/Legendary enemies will have some unique mods/weapons to breakdown.